PDA

View Full Version : The first game you ever played?

Harrison
13th March 2007, 01:04
What was the first Amiga game you ever played?

Not just on a system you personally owned, but any Amiga. But also you must have played it properly and not just seen it running in a store.

I've been trying to remember what the first game I ever played was on the Amiga and I'm not 100% sure. I didn't own my own Amiga until 1991 when the A600 was released. Before this I played most games on an Atari ST, but sometimes on friends Amigas. The first ever Amiga game I played was definitely one of these: might have been Arkanoid, Barbarian, Ikari Warriors, Starglider or Terramex. I don't know which one was first though.

Submeg
13th March 2007, 02:14
I know! Dragon's Lair! that was the first thing I ever played!

AlexJ
13th March 2007, 09:06
Pretty sure it was James Pond: Robocod.

Puni/Void
13th March 2007, 09:45
I think the first game I played on the Amiga was Summer Olympics 1988. That was a great sports game, which was good for competing against friends. As far as I remember, the game had pretty good graphics and looked awesome at the time.

Teho
13th March 2007, 14:34
It was Badlands, I think. One of the guys I hung out with was the first to get an Amiga, and we used to play that alot at his place. But there's no guarantee that was the first one. Actually it probably wasn't, but I can't recall any of the other games we played there.

The very first Amiga game I tried was Terrorpods, but that was in a store so doesn't count in this case I suppose.

On my own Amiga, the first was definitely either Duck Tales or Dragon's Lair: Escape From Singe's Castle, since I bought that Duck Tales/Dragon's Lair A500 bundle pack.

Agram
13th March 2007, 16:54
Its got to have been one of the games in the Batman A500 bundle.
The New Zealand Story
Batman - The Movie
F/A-18 Interceptor

Demon Cleaner
13th March 2007, 21:09
For me it was Defender of the Crown and 10th Frame, I think that were some of the early amiga games.

v85rawdeal
14th March 2007, 11:01
As far as I remember, it was Populous... In fact I am fairly certain it was because they kicked me out of the shop after playing for an hour.

Ah, the memories!!!

Harrison
14th March 2007, 11:52
:lol: I remember such occasions. I was never personally kicked out of a gaming store, but I did use to get some annoyed glances from the staff working in the stores.

In the 16-bit days I was a student in Southampton and we used to pop into the local gaming stores to see what new games they had running and would normally end up hogging the display systems play them. And because none of us had a SNES or Mega Drive, as we were devote Amiga users, we would just play them in the store instead.
The stores were also the only place I've ever played some systems such as 3DO, CDi, Jaguar, Linx and a few other less successful systems over the years.

The best place for playing games and the staff not bothering was Toys 'R Us as the game systems were just setup in the store and not bothered with. I used to play Gamegear, Snes, Megadrive and a few other systems in there from time to time as I often used their car park to save having to pay to park near college.

Sadly these days you even have to pay in the Toys 'R Us car park, but you can still get away with playing the games in there without being bothered. They have DS, PSP, PS2, Wii and Xbox 360 pops in the Southampton one you can play on. Not that I ever go into Toys 'R Us! :lol:

Submeg
15th March 2007, 00:51
Once near me the guy I buy my games from had a 3DO! how rare are they?

Harrison
15th March 2007, 01:53
They are getting rarer these days as the system never really took off at the time.

The problem was that when the 3D0 was released it was definitely more powerful than the 16-bit consoles currently on the market and it's capabilities were near to the first Playstation, but it cost a lot of money so hardly anyone bought one. Plus there were not that many games released for the system.

But they are not so rare that you couldn't find one if you really wanted.

J T
15th March 2007, 21:23
I think the first Amiga game I ever played was New Zealand Story at a Commodore fair in some Novotel (Hammersmith I believe - West London).

I wasn't really very good at it, and still am not very good at it to be honest.

Puni/Void
16th March 2007, 10:07
New Zealand story is a cute, little game. A good platformer. I don't think I have completed it myself, but will try to do so some time in the future. :)

Harrison
16th March 2007, 11:39
New Zealand Story is definitely quite a hard platformer. It is one of my favourites, but I've also never completed it. I used to find the Amiga version quite hard too.

I find the arcade version is easier and although I've not completely that either, I have got further. Plus being an arcade game you can cheat a bit and just keep plying it with virtual coins to continue every time you die.

Demon Cleaner
16th March 2007, 13:48
Only played New Zealand Story on the C64, was not outstanding.

TiredOfLife
17th March 2007, 14:49
I think mine was Kick Off

Toasty667
8th May 2007, 11:34
God that's a question and a half! I 'think' it would have to be Trolls, a game I got with my machine.:hmmm:

Tiago
3rd June 2008, 12:42
Never saw this post before,
my first amiga game?

Speed ball and wings of fury were my first 2 games (i play them on my birthday, when i got the A500)

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 13:57
The original Speedball? I had that on the Atari ST and thought it was great until I got hold of Speedball 2 on the Amiga. :) The originals arenas were only as wide as the screen which made ball rebounds quite mad.

Buleste
3rd June 2008, 13:58
F/A18 Interceptor on my mates 500. After playing Project Stealth Fighter on the c64 in was a revelation.

Castelle
3rd June 2008, 14:10
My first game played on an Amiga 500+ (still own it) was either James Pond 2 or North and South - really can't remember which one it was !! :lol:

Tiago
3rd June 2008, 15:06
The original Speedball? I had that on the Atari ST and thought it was great until I got hold of Speedball 2 on the Amiga. :) The originals arenas were only as wide as the screen which made ball rebounds quite mad.

Yes Master, the first SpeedBall.
Is was a fantastic day!!!
I bought the game a while ago.
we dont have scans of the original Box, i must do it. And it cames with a poster, with all teams!! I will scan box/poster/disk as soon as i got a time

Harrison
3rd June 2008, 15:36
Cool. That will be great to see again. I remember the poster with the teams on. I don't have my ST copy an longer as I sold all my ST software along with my ST a few years back.

Quagmire
3rd June 2008, 20:05
First game I played on an Amiga was Major Motion:o

xdanger
3rd June 2008, 22:31
Buggy Boy

It was more shear than steer.

I think I played Blood Money in my local computer shop ,Thats when I decided to buy my Amiga

Sharingan
20th June 2008, 17:23
The Great Giana Sisters, I think.

Great game. Beats the crap out of Super Mario Bros.

Demon Cleaner
20th June 2008, 18:12

Great game. Beats the crap out of Super Mario Bros.Yeah!!!! :thumbs:

v85rawdeal
20th June 2008, 18:49
And at least they never turned it into a 'movie':sick:

Puni/Void
21st June 2008, 12:14

Great game. Beats the crap out of Super Mario Bros.

Hear, hear! :)

WolfMan
14th April 2009, 19:57
My first amiga game played, was Chase HQ...:thumbs:

my_lo
14th April 2009, 20:24
My first was "Maniac Mansion" on C64. This is were it all started for me, i still think a lot about it. That place was awesome, it had all i would love in my dream house: an arcade room, a telescope, a secret lab, a few alien tentacles... Ed even has an subscription to his favourite magazine :cool:
Btw, the aliens in my signature also come from that game :)

Demon Cleaner
15th April 2009, 07:50
I guess the first one I played was Asteroids in 1978 or 1979 on the real cab. Later I played with a Philips Videopac G7000, also known as Magnavox Odyssey.

Harrison
15th April 2009, 09:59
I'm never sure what the first game I ever played was. It was also an arcade game. Possibly Space Invaders. Maybe even Pong. I know Pong was the first I played on a home system.

Demon Cleaner
15th April 2009, 10:02
I also played Pong on a home system, that was a thing which came with my fisrt TV (b/w and only 6 channels). You plugged it into the TV and had 9 games, Pong and Pong like games in the same style, basketball, soccer, and such stuff.

Harrison
15th April 2009, 10:05
Yep. Exactly what I played. But the first console I owned myself was an Atari 2600 "woody", and I still have it! :)

Demon Cleaner
15th April 2009, 10:30
My first console was a PSX, and that very late, when it was already very cheap, as before I only had computers starting with the C64 in 1983 or 1984. My cousin had the Magnavox before.

WolfMan
15th April 2009, 11:11
OH...We are talking, about ALL systems...
In that case...my first game played, i think that was Manic Miner, from my Spectrum 48K...Great machine...i am still have it and in good working condition...:thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
15th April 2009, 11:36
My first amiga game played, was Chase HQ...:thumbs:I like that game a lot too ;)

JLPedro
15th April 2009, 13:16
For me was Athletic Land on a Philips VG-8010 MSX, first time I've toutched a keyboard, I was 8 or 9 years old, and my world changed forever..... :p
If someone here as one of this Philips msx, and wants to get rid of it, i'd love to have one again!

Amigaman52
15th April 2009, 17:30
I remember it well, It was "Wings" and I loved the game and still play the game ever chance I get. This and "T.V. Sports Basketball" were years ahead of all other systems games I had Played. I got to play them two days before I was shipped out og Germany to Desert Shield/Storm. I still have two Amiga 2000's and I cannot count the original games I now own. I wish I still had my connections with people that were in my Amiga World back then. I'm still looking for someone that wants to sell their "World Games" by Epxy, I can only play the NTSC version and most of the major sites now are UK. :evil:

Demon Cleaner
15th April 2009, 18:13
I loved TV Sports Basketball and always played it together with my cousin as a teammate, we played loads of seasons together.

Cortona
28th May 2009, 19:31
It's really difficult to remember after all these years. My first Amiga game experience was on a friend's A500 sometime in '88, and it was probably Wizball. I do remember that we loaded up the Northstar/Farilight Megademo 2 and DPaint. Up until that point I'd been thinking of getting an Atari ST, having played on one at another friends (Whirligig, I think, and some others). After my Amiga experience I waited and saved up the extra £100 for an A500. One of the best decisions I've ever made!

lakanman
31st December 2012, 01:40
Giana Sisters

Harrison
31st December 2012, 09:07
Have you played the new version? It's really good and well worth buying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Phantom
6th January 2013, 14:27
My first Amiga game was Human Killing Machine. It was given as a full game on CU Amiga March '91 coverdisk.