PDA

View Full Version : Getting a better signal with PS3

Phantom
24th June 2011, 13:36
A little silly query though I must admit, but is there any possibility to increase the WiFi signal of the PS3, so that the wireless signal be stronger than usual?

Harrison
24th June 2011, 14:12
Not sure what you mean. The PS3 receives the signal broadcast from a router's wireless access point, so the strength of that broadcasting signal will be the thing to look at, rather than anything to do with the PS3 directly. Like most devices the PS3 Wi-Fi receiver and antenna are internal to the system so modification of the antenna isn't easily possible. To increase signal strength you would need to adjust the router's signal, or add a signal repeater half way between the router and PS3 to boost the strength and range.

Phantom
24th June 2011, 14:15
Yes, I though that too. The problem is that the router is in the reception of the hotel and my PS3 is in my room, but the signal is very weak (almost 1% and 2% - means nothing of course), and I thought if it was a possibility to increase the PS3 signal. Anyway... Thanks for the answer Dave.

Harrison
25th June 2011, 01:52
It sounds like you should look into a wi-fi repeater then. You can place this half way between the location of the router and your room and it will take the signal from the router, strengthen it and send it to your device. And vice versa on the return journey.

This link might be useful:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/make-a-diy-wireless-repeater/

Phantom
6th July 2011, 11:28
And here's my alternative crazy thinking.

My laptop can get good signal in the room, so I thought the next step. If I use a cross-over LAN cable from the laptop to the PS3, will it work?

Harrison
6th July 2011, 14:13
Yes, you could setup network sharing on the laptop and share it to the PS3. That shouldn't be a problem. Remember that the PS3 will see it as a different network to the one the router and PC are on because the PC would in effect be acting as a WAN router between your WiFi network and the wired LAN the PS3 would be on, and so only the internet will be shared to the PS3 and not the LAN for steaming files from other PCs.

Phantom
6th July 2011, 15:11
Sound interesting. I'll test it shortly then.