PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux and Grub2 Help needed.

Buleste
29th April 2011, 16:30
O.k. I'm experimenting with a dual boot system of Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu.

I have everything installed and working (although I'm still just trying to get used to Ubuntu) but I have an issue with Grub2.

For some reason it brings up Windows XP as a boot option when I don't have XP installed and my windows 7 is a clean install.

Does anyone know how to edit Grub2 so that I can get rid of this and also how I am supposed to run "sudo grub update" as I don't know how to get any CLI facility up on Ubuntu.

Buleste
30th April 2011, 09:16
Managed to get the solution. There is a programme called Grub Customiser that you can download and install.

Open a Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and enter in the following

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Harrison
30th April 2011, 10:15
It has been a long time since I played around with GRUB (as I tend to only have one OS on each system), but I remember editing a text file directly for GRUB when i did, to change the OSs linked to it. Maybe this customiser just loads this config file in for easier editing.

As you commented in your other Linux post, Linux will never become a mainstream desktop OS whilst it relies so heavily on the commandline, and isn't designed with a user friendly UI and novice users in mind. Linux is however very powerful and remains the best server OS because it is so open to configure and setup exactly how you wish, unlike any other OS... and for a server OS it doesn't need a GUI at all as most server configuration will be carried out via SSH anyway.