PDA

View Full Version : My 1st movie in Amiga Ham

Tiago
24th April 2011, 22:46
Hi,
i read about Amiga Ham videos, and i wanted to try it.
So i grab a video from my vacations in Madeira Island and i convert it to Amiga Ham Video,
the result was good.
I am able to play it in my real Amiga 1200 with 2+8 Mb ram. the quality is not bad, i was very impressive with the results.
I am using the AVI4HV to convert from AVI, and then the Hamp.run to run it in real Amiga
the player is fine for CLI/Shell, but it does not have a way to stop the video...
any one has other software for it?

Check it out, my real A1200 playing the movie.
It was filmed in Madeira Island it is a travel down hill on basket cars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tiagolobodias#p/a/u/0/JSQFOMohbfo

Puni/Void
25th April 2011, 07:51
Nice work! Quality looks good to be in HAM-mode.

Tiago
25th April 2011, 12:47
it is, the recording from mobile dont show the imperfections.
there are some color problems, looks like some lines in vertical have the wrong color. But overal is very good.

what was a suprise is that it dont take time to load the movie, after the command line, it dont take any time to load. You hit enter and it's on screen.
It try with a 15 minute movie, and it all worked fine. I think if you put a full movie it will work as well.

Puni/Void
25th April 2011, 15:10
That is surprising. I'm sure non-Amiga users will be impressed if you show it to them. Have you searched Aminet for different utilities to try out?

Tiago
25th April 2011, 15:31
Not search yet in Aminet.
It is impressive yes, i am sure that is not nothing new to the fans, i read about it during a search in google, i end up in eab forum, with a lot of posts about it.
you can seach in youtube, there is a few stuff about it.

Harrison
26th April 2011, 11:36
Very nice. I've never ried doing HAM video and in fact never realised you could. Do you know what the framerate is running at? Looks pretty smooth from your video.

The colour issues you mentioned are to be expected as HAM does use a special method of displaying colours based on the colours next to them, so has a few limitations.

BTW, wanted to ask what model of monitor you are using? Or is it one of the Samsung TV Monitors? What input are you using for it? composite, scart or a flicker fixer?

Tiago
26th April 2011, 13:36
i didnt remove the original frame rate from the Avi source. i just resize to 320x216 (maximum you can have) and reduce the color depth.
the sound must be reduce too to 8 bit.
The TV is a normal LCD from Sansung (i dont know the model, i can tell you when i got home), and the Amiga is a A1200 with 8MB ram expansion only. I have in this one ClassicWB and it's connected to the TV with Scart cable.

but from what i read, you can play this videos on a A500 with only 1mb ram....!!!

Yes it's very smooth, i was shocked with it :o of course it's not a DVD, far away from it, but for a 1992 machine is very very good, and if it works well on a A500, it is even more impressive!!!

Regarding the TV, if i choose PAL in Workbench the image tremble a bit verticaly, but with NTSC it's fine... why?? Portugal is PAL system

It takes less then half a second to start playing since you hit enter...

Harrison
26th April 2011, 15:26
That is definitely very impressive. That video dimension is identical to VCD, so is more amazing when you consider that and what has been achieved to play it on an A500. Think back to the 1993 and the CD32 needed a FMV module to play VCD!

Andrew1971
10th January 2012, 19:07
Hi All
Where can i get more info on this and how to do it. Never seen an amiga play video until now.
its a very good video.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Harrison
10th January 2012, 22:59
I had forgotten about this. I was going to test this out myself but forgot. Really must give it a go.

Tiago
11th January 2012, 09:51
Andrew1971, i used a program called AVI4HV to convert from AVI, and then the Hamp.run to run it in real Amiga.
If you want, i can send you the software, it's easy to do it, give me your email, i'll send you.

Andrew1971
11th January 2012, 12:29
Cheers Tiago PM sent

Tiago
11th January 2012, 20:47
Hi Andrew, hi shoonay,

Zip file sended.

Uncompress the Zip file, then you will have this files:

the player:
HAMP.RUN - Amiga 68K executable program, you must use the syntax from CLI : "HAMP.RUN yourvideo.HV"

the converter:
AVI3HV.EXE - older file but works.
AVI4HV.EXE - i used this one, the other is older but should work to.

you have a TXT file that will help you.

i didnt remove the original frame rate from the Avi source. i just resize to 320x216 (maximum you can have) and reduce the color depth.
the sound must be reduce too to 8 bit.
The TV is a normal LCD from Sansung (i dont know the model, i can tell you when i got home), and the Amiga is a A1200 with 8MB ram expansion only. I have in this one ClassicWB and it's connected to the TV with Scart cable.

Cheers
Tiago

Andrew1971
12th January 2012, 15:30
Cheers Tiago i will give this a go in the next week or two rearranging amiga and pc stuff at the moment.
Hope it will work with only 2mb ram :)
Many Thanks
Andrew1971

Update
Well my A600 is not going to well at the moment because of me iam trying to use all of the 10gig HDD. not sure how to do it. on a plus side i managed to get 4 partitions on it, Amiga just dont like it got checksum errors. I m using HDToolbox thats seem to be very hit + miss on partition sizes.
ohh well more playing to be done.

Tiago
13th January 2012, 08:21
Yes it works, it works in a A500 with 1mb ram !!!
But never try more then 15 minutes of film. But i guess it doens't matter the size of the file.

Bloodwych
14th January 2012, 11:21
Amazing, thanks for sharing your experiences - you always hear about people bigging up the Amiga as the first multimedia machine and way ahead of its time.

This goes to show how truely great it was with its video capture and HAM mode abilities.

Puni/Void
15th January 2012, 08:21
Hi Tiago,

I'm very interested in that .ZIP file. Would be great if you could send it to me too. :) Thanks in advance.

Tiago
16th January 2012, 15:01
I send you what you need by PM Puni.
cheers

Harrison
16th January 2012, 22:58
Any chance you could add it to the downloads area too? So we have the files on the site for future.

Puni/Void
17th January 2012, 18:40
I send you what you need by PM Puni.
cheers

Thank you very much, mate! :) Looking forward to try it out. Thanks again!

Andrew1971
8th June 2012, 15:46
Hi All
Just got round to trying this and the AVI3HV.EXE and the AVI4HV.EXE does not work i have tried them both on compatability mode on various settings.
I running Windows Ultimate 64bit. So will it work on windows me. I have a spare laptop with me on it.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Kin Hell
10th June 2012, 14:15
@ Tiago

Nice video showing just how good the Amiga was with Video all those years ago. Nice one. :thumbs:

Tiago
11th June 2012, 11:17
Thanks
It feels good to see it in a real Amiga. Everyone should try it.

Andrew1971
11th June 2012, 18:02
I am trying to try it !!

Tiago
12th June 2012, 09:36
Cool,
Keep trying to try it, if you don't try, you can't do it. so try to try a bit more.

Kin Hell
13th June 2012, 14:53
^^^^^^

+1 :thumbs: