PDA

View Full Version : Wiki promotion through links

Harrison
8th March 2007, 10:45
A good way for us to attract more visitors to classicamiga is via links on Wikipedia pages. There are a lot of pages on the wiki devoted to some aspect of the Amiga, and anyone can add links to external sites on any wiki page.

Therefore I thought it would be a great idea to add links to relevant classicamiga pages on these Wiki pages.

So if any of you find a Wiki page that could "benefit" from a classicamiga link being included in the external links section please add one in. :)

I've already added classicamiga to some Wiki pages already and will be adding more as I find them.

Submeg
8th March 2007, 10:58
lol "benefit". Class.

AlexJ
8th March 2007, 14:48
I'd suggest you pick pages to link carefully and not to add many at once - the external links is monitored by editors on Wikipedia, and they'll notice a site adding many links at once.

Therefore I suggest we add link pages that correspond to fairly complete articles on this site.

Harrison
8th March 2007, 14:53
I agree, and this is what I've been doing so far. I've added a links to pages such as the WinUAE Wiki page which links to the beginners guide to running WinUAE on classicamiga.

Puni/Void
8th March 2007, 22:13
That's a good idea. Hope that this will bring in some new visitors to both the site and the forum.

Demon Cleaner
9th March 2007, 05:30
Yeah, we definitely still need some visitors and of course members. But I think that getting members will be tough, as some visit or register at amiga only forums. Most of our posts are non amiga related, only 15-20% are really about amiga. We are a bunch of buddies chatting together all the time and waiting for new members to register. And I think people visiting this board often see this, and think themselves, what's this, I wanted something about amiga related stuff? Or do I need just some more patience :huh:?

Submeg
9th March 2007, 05:41
Hmm, guess its half and half. I think if someone wants some Amiga info, then just post it out there...people are too afraid to ask sometimes. I think emulation in general needs to get bigger so that more people know about it. If people want to focus on dedicated Amiga use, then they would be stuck at boring boards where all they talk about is "I use my Amiga for ________. How can I ______?" At least here there is more stuff going on. I think once the main site is full we will have to suck people into the forums! I think many people dissapeared when the old forum died. If only they knew how good the forums are now in comparison! :no: they are missing out.

Demon Cleaner
9th March 2007, 05:56
If people want to focus on dedicated Amiga use, then they would be stuck at boring boards where all they talk about is "I use my Amiga for ________. How can I ______?"I think you're right about that, just look at the amiga section at gamefaqs, most posts are just nonsense. Hopefully this isn't happening here. Also meaning mods would get more work to do with other people's posts.

Submeg
9th March 2007, 06:01
Yes true, but my point was more aiming at the fact that if this site were restricted to just amiga topics, there would be no "flava" on here. Then it gets stale and dies like many other sites. The questions that need to be addressed are: what do people want to see and then how to keep them here

J T
9th March 2007, 08:33
I think I went on the lemonamiga forum once.

ONCE.

Gah..... it was dull, and there were no new or interesting posts. No fun, no games, no cool folks.

Submeg
9th March 2007, 09:12
my point. The reason I only really post and feel comfortable is because of the people...and now the fact that there is all this stuff going on, it seems like a second home, need more people to feel like that...

Demon Cleaner
9th March 2007, 09:14
I only visit Lemonamiga to see how far they are with a new release of Lemonade. I mainly go to that topic only to see if there's something new, rarely look at the other topics. There are surely less "cool" people than here.

Submeg
9th March 2007, 09:15
they are those really nerdy guys that everyone disliked at school...

Demon Cleaner
9th March 2007, 09:19
We also have one here on the board, and you saw what happened to him over the months/years.

Teho
9th March 2007, 13:29
I agree with Submeg, the reason this board is much better to come to is because it doesn't enforce being amiga-only. There simply isn't enough interest around anymore to base a forum solely on that and remain active. The only way an amiga-board can really survive is to have an extensive off-topic section like we do. There is only one amiga-only board I can think of that is fairly active, and that is amiga.org. But that place is as you say, boring!

J T
9th March 2007, 13:44
I post here for the fun and banter, and the Amiga stuff is really just a secondary interest (although that is what brought me here in the first place).

Maybe, if people are concerened, a quick rethink could be in order? Like, having the very first page of the forum root be a simple page with two big fat buttons - one for "Amiga" and one for, well, "everything else" and that way there is a clear distinction.

Could also be a nice place for the fancy graphics logos and things that people have been creating.

We also have one here on the board, and you saw what happened to him over the months/years.

Yeah Punisher, you weiner :p

Submeg
10th March 2007, 03:00
Maybe, if people are concerened, a quick rethink could be in order? Like, having the very first page of the forum root be a simple page with two big fat buttons - one for "Amiga" and one for, well, "everything else" and that way there is a clear distinction.

Could also be a nice place for the fancy graphics logos and things that people have been creating.

That sounds like a cool idea....but how could you implement that with the front page? :eyebrow: Because the main site is quite nice, it would then be all split up :hmmm:

Yeah Punisher, you weiner :p

Lol!!! :p