PDA

View Full Version : Commodore Gaming at Cebit 2007

Agram
7th March 2007, 14:18
Not totally sure what this is going to be. Reads like Windows PC with the Commodore brand.

News article Videogames News (http://www.videogame-news.com/2007/03/06/commodore-is-back-with-gaming-pcs/).

Looking at Commodore Gaming (http://www.commodoregaming.com/) website has a countdown teaser.

Checked Cebit 2007 (http://www.cebit.de/search_akl) exhibitor search and it listed Hall 21, Stand D08.

Anyone lucky enough to attended this trade events?

Demon Cleaner
7th March 2007, 14:43
That's some great news, Commodore building PC's again. But on what hardware will it be based, do they take an own CPU? As they say it will be a gaming PC, could be a lot of things. Hope they will show it a the Cebit to see what it will be in the end, a real Commodore computer, or an Alienware like PC.

Harrison
7th March 2007, 16:04
I'm sure the Commodore brand name parted company when Gateway split the various parts of the company up and sold it on. So the rest of the original company rights and patents went on to one company and the Commodore brand went on its own way. I also know that the Commodore name was licensed to a Spanish company for some time but that didn't last long.

Anyway, this means that the Commodore name could be being applied to anything for this gaming machine. I have a suspicion it will just be a gaming PC.

It is very sad to think that the name Commodore has ended up as just a brand name on its own with none of the original companies hardware or software attached to it any longer.

AlexJ
7th March 2007, 16:23
Some Dutch company (Tulip?) had the rights at some point and made USB Flash Drives and MP3 players (terrible ones by all accounts) with the brand.

Harrison
7th March 2007, 17:37
I remember Tulip. They used to make PCs too years ago. Those were not that great either.

Demon Cleaner
7th March 2007, 19:22
I had DVDs and CDs from Commodore. DVDs were awful quality, only playing in my DVD-ROM drive, standalone DVD player and PS2 or XBox refused to play them. CDs run fine in a player, but for how long?

Submeg
7th March 2007, 21:10
Hmm, bittersweet. Idiots that split everything up...:countdown:

Demon Cleaner
15th March 2007, 01:08
Some screenshots of the new Commodore's can be found on this page. (http://www.zen128487.zen.co.uk/Commodore_Press_Site/index.htm)

Harrison
15th March 2007, 02:50
Oh, I do like the plain black case with the embossed C= logo. Prefer that to any of the air brushed offerings. Would be cool to be able to just get hold of an empty case to build an emulation system in.

Submeg
15th March 2007, 04:08
I like your thinking Harrison! :thumbs:

AlexJ
15th March 2007, 17:34
The BBC have picked up on the story:

Games icon gets modern makeover (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6453339.stm)

In pictures:The rise, fall and rise again of gaming icon Commodore (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6454113.stm)

Harrison
15th March 2007, 17:47
Have you noticed through that in all the reports about Commodore Games, none of them seem to have realised that this is not actually the same company as the original Commodore, but instead a new start-up using the Commodore brand name to give its product range some recognition.

AlexJ
15th March 2007, 17:56
Have you noticed through that in all the reports about Commodore Games, none of them seem to have realised that this is not actually the same company as the original Commodore, but instead a new start-up using the Commodore brand name to give its product range some recognition.

Yeah they do seem to gloss over that fact, but then I suppose they have a limited no. of words for the article. I notice the BBC do mention it in the pictures section with "Despite selling well in Europe, the Amiga CD32 did not perform well enough globally to stave off Commodore's 1994 collapse."

Stephen Coates
15th March 2007, 22:30
The person who sold me my copy of OS3.9 sent it in a Commodore case (The CD was original though so I can't comment on Tulip's CDs).

I think those cases look nice, although I would prefer a case that can have CD ROM drives fitted in it.

If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point as they just look like any other IBM compatible and run Windows Vista.
Just haveing the Commodore name on a system with an Intel processor and Windows doesn't really make it any better than a Dell or a Compaq system.

Now if it was an Amiga with a PowerPC processor then my opinion might be slightly different :p

Harrison
15th March 2007, 23:12
They do have drive bays steve. They are just hidden behind a door!

J T
15th March 2007, 23:54
If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point ....

Just haveing the Commodore name on a system with an Intel processor and Windows doesn't really make it any better than a Dell or a Compaq system.

Now, I loved my Amiga, but I really do agree with Steve here, I just don't really see the big deal - it's just not anything special, it's just a name being thrown onto some (admittedly decent looking after a quick glance) assembled components. Nice looking case though.

I've nothing against either of the brands he mentions, either, it's just that I wouldn't pay over the odds for an alienware or similar.

Harrison
16th March 2007, 01:06
That is true and sort of the point I was making above. All of the reports are hyping it as the comeback of Commodore with a new system, and not mentioning it is just the brand name of Commodore, and not actually the company behind the great C64 and Amiga.

You will basically be getting a PC built using the current parts, packaged in a Commodore branded box.

But as a case design it is cool and I would love to have one of those cased to house one of my PCs.

AlexJ
16th March 2007, 01:15
The trouble is, can you really create a home computer to compete against the PC? I don't think you can. Look at the only alternative and how much that struggles to gain market share. Any new machine would never get off the ground. And the home console market is pretty much sewn up with the big three of Sony, MS and Nintendo.

Harrison
16th March 2007, 12:17
The trouble is, can you really create a home computer to compete against the PC? I don't think you can. Look at the only alternative and how much that struggles to gain market share. Any new machine would never get off the ground. And the home console market is pretty much sewn up with the big three of Sony, MS and Nintendo.

The future will not be a computer format to compete against the PC, but in my view it will be a home entertainment console that will be the biggest threat to the PC being the main computer system in many family homes.

I have many thoughts on this so have started another thread about this.

Stephen Coates
16th March 2007, 16:10
If i wanted a new PC though, I wouldn't get a Commodore one. I don;t really see the point ....

Now, I loved my Amiga, but I really do agree with Steve here, I just don't really see the big deal - it's just not anything special, it's just a name being thrown onto some (admittedly decent looking after a quick glance) assembled components. Nice looking case though.

I've nothing against either of the brands he mentions, either, it's just that I wouldn't pay over the odds for an alienware or similar.

I would find it very awkward having a door covering the drives up, unless I needed to stop someone from using them.

Why is everyone saying that this is really special? It is worth noting that commodore are making new machines, but it's nothing special as has already been mentioned here.

The only PC from a company that I was class as special is the Mac, because they have some more unique designs and run MacOSX without hacking it, but at the end of the day, they are really just standard PCs with a few minor differences.

I supposed when compared to the Mac, you will be able to install whatever OS you want on the commodores, rather than just being limited to what Boot Camp says you can install.

BTW, did you know that there is also a new company called Acorn,who are making PCs, with the old Acorns logo?

Harrison
17th March 2007, 03:52
Pretty much the same thing happened to Acorn as happened to Commodore. They got into trouble and the various properties and brand names split and went seperate ways. Another sad end to a once great computer developer. At least, unlike Commodore, some subsidiaries of the original company do still exist, such as ARM holdings who still develop amd make the RISC ARM processors.

Stephen Coates
17th March 2007, 10:39
And RISCOS is still being developped.

And I think someone is still making RISCPCs and other RISCOS compatible machine, but I don;t know too much about those.