PDA

View Full Version : Good DVDs for backup

Submeg
24th February 2011, 09:41
I'm sure we talked about this before, but I haven't been able to find it!

What DVD brand is the best to use for backing up files?

Harrison
24th February 2011, 11:59
There is only one make worth buying. Verbatim. They are more reliable than any other make and I don't remember the last time I had one fail, and I burn a lot of DVDs (maybe 1000+).

You do pay a little bit more for them compared to most other brands, but you get what you pay for. Most writeable DVD discs use an organic dye layer which breaks down over time and can corrupt disks in only a couple of years, as their organic dyes are susceptible to light exposure and temperature change, plus natural organic decay. Verbatim use a different and unique (to the company) special recording dye layer on their disks called AZO or Advanced AZO+. This is a metal based dye layer, and once the disk has been written the metal dye is very stable and won't break down. Once burnt it is a lot closer to a commercially pressed DVD than any organic dye based discs, so the reflective properties are much better for lasers to read them compared to any other dye, making them more compatible with all players. Verbatim also state their discs have an archive lifespan of 200+ years, compared to organic dye based discs which have a maximum of 20-30 years (but from personal experience organic dye discs can actually corrupt in 2-3 years).

The best Verbatim discs to buy are 16x DVD-R with Advanced AZO+. If you are buying them from a store do double check the packaging and see where they are original made. It normally says this in small print within a bullet pointed list on the side of the packaging. Made in Japan is the best and recommended ones to buy if you find them. Other places they are made include Singapore and India. Try to avoid India made ones if you can because I've heard some batches have be defective, but I have had a few made on India ones and they have seemed perfectly OK.

I hope that helps.

BTW, same is true for any type of blank disc these days. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, BD-R.. etc. Verbatim make the best for all types.

The only other alternative worth buying if you spot them are Taiyo Yuden. These are the best in the world, and use a very similar dye to the AZO Verbatim one. And some Verbatim discs actually use Taiyo Yuden dye. Taiyo Yuden discs are however normally more expensive that Verbatim so not worth it as the quality is not that different. You can sometimes find 100 disc packs of DVD-Rs for good prices, but otherwise just get Verbatim.

Price wise. You should be able to get 25 cake packs of Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs for about £5.96, and 100 packs for under £20, so the large packs are better value. By contract Taiyo Yuden are more like £35 for 100, you could buy nearly twice as many Verbatim's for the same price.

Demon Cleaner
24th February 2011, 13:34
Go with Verbatim :thumbs:

Submeg
25th February 2011, 22:18
Cheers! You might want to put that post as a sticky for information as I'm sure many people wonder about this