PDA

View Full Version : First CFW released for PS3

Demon Cleaner
22nd December 2010, 13:31
Some days ago a custom firmware was released for the PS3. You can read further here (http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2010/12/14/ps3-acid-customized-firmware-3-41-010-released/). I won't take the risk yet, although this might get quite tempting and interesting for the future.

Harrison
22nd December 2010, 14:25
This is brilliant news. I knew it would happen eventually, and I'm wondering if DarkAleX is behind this first PS3 CFW, because he recently left the PSP scene to concentrate on something new.

This signifies a new beginning for the PS3 because finally creating CFW means homebrew and emulation is now fully possible and on a proper hardware level. It could also enable the hackers to put PS2 emulation back into the firmware... this was something again seen in the PSP CFW scene, where missing things in newer firmwares were added back in with the custom firmware versions by the installer access both the current official firmware and an older one to combine their code and create a unique hybrid CFW.

Definitely not worth doing this to your own PS3 yet as it is still very new. When CFW was new on the PSP many people ended up with bricked consoles, so is worth waiting until it is a little more mature. Also worth waiting until they are level with current official firmware because this is based on 3.41 and the current official is 3.50.

Demon Cleaner
22nd December 2010, 16:05
I'm still waiting for a jailbreak for firmwares higher than 3.41, because the later released games won't work anymore, although there's 3.50 spoofs. But I have to say that the "older" games work all like a charm, I already have about 90 games downloaded, not even counting the PSN games.

Phantom
29th December 2010, 12:29
I will not bother this time. I'll leave my PS3 as it is. Games are cheap (not in Greece, but from UK) so I don't have a really good reason for custom firmwares (yet).:rolleyes:

Tiago
17th January 2011, 15:36
anyone did the crack yet?

Harrison
17th January 2011, 16:12
No, is way too early. Jailbreak is still an option as ling as your PS3 isn't at the most recent update.

There is also the issue the Sony are now hunting those who hacked the firmware and trying to bring a court case against them.

Demon Cleaner
18th January 2011, 05:11
Waninkoko also released some CFW, but it's quite dangerous to put it, as it will probably brick your console. They also have now the first level 2 security hacks.

Demon Cleaner
19th January 2011, 14:12
New CFW released after the one from Waninkoko, which apparently doesn't brick your console (the chances with Waninkoko's were really high for a brick), plus this one has now also backup manager support, which was still missing in the CFWs before. So not only homebrew stuff will run.

Check it out here (http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/18/wutangrza-3-55-cfw-with-lv1lv2-peekpoke-patches/#more-6224).

I'm a bit tempted now :)

Harrison
19th January 2011, 16:07
Since the FW was finally cracked it looks like things are racing ahead. I'm still not tempted myself as it is still too early in my view. Looks like a lot of people are working on things to do with it, so it won't be too long before a more feature rich CFW comes along.

I noticed it is a CFW of 3.55, which is the current official one, so again great to see they can even hack the latest version. Has jailbreak been updated to work with 3.55? And if so have to tried it? I'm most interested in that really, and using JB to run backed up games from an external HDD is really all I would be interested in, and with JB it can still be easily removed to return the PS3 to standard to access the official PS3 network and play online. For me that is all I want.

Demon Cleaner
19th January 2011, 16:24
I flashed mine now with the CFW, and until now it seems to work fine, have still to try out some stuff. I ran FIFA 11 through the Rogero Manager, and it started normally, like with the JB, I didn't even have to put an original backup into the console to make it launch, and of course no dongle and extra boot up sequence needed to go into JB mode. You only have to run the level 2 patch once when the PS3 is started, takes 5 seconds. When you switch the PS3 off, it's gone again, and you have to run it again with the next startup.

Putting some other games to test now, also 3.55 only ones, will see what happens. Yesterday I ran Vanquish through JB successfully, gonna try it now with the CFW. So far JB only still works with 3.41.

With this CFW you CAN play online and use the PSN store, that's what is great. Didn't try it out yet though. Will do soon...

Demon Cleaner
20th January 2011, 13:01
Tried some other games, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Monopoly Streets and Vanquish are working, even with updates. Updating with JB was not possible.

Installed another CFW today, which is supposed to run signed and unsigned pkg files, didn't have any success yet though (pkg files are homebrew, PSN games, minis...).

New manager was released, including the level 2 patch, so that you don't have to run it when starting the console. Works fine, but manager itself freezes a lot when trying to start it, waiting for some fixes.

I was also in the PSN store and downloaded the Dead Space 2 demo, works fine, and as seen on many forums, online playing is also working just fine.

Tiago
20th January 2011, 15:04
humm, i am thinking in trying it to.
Demon, do you have any tutorial about what do i need to do, and how to do it?
And here to get the software? (ps3-hacks.com) ?

Demon Cleaner
20th January 2011, 16:48
Yeah, http://www.ps3-hacks.com/ has everything you need, plus it says how to be done.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Tested now 3 more games, Wipeout HD, Modnation Racers and Gran Turismo 5, and they're all working fine.

Harrison
20th January 2011, 23:29
That is great to know. How about game updates? I know GT5 and WipeoutHD both have quite large updates before they will normally run on an unmodified PS3.

Demon Cleaner
21st January 2011, 13:31
You can update the games as if you would own them. GT5 had a 600MB update (to 1.05), and Modnation Racers had even a bigger one. That works really good. Wipeout HD only installs some stuff to your HDD.

J T
23rd January 2011, 07:15
These recent developments on the PS3 hacking scene have suddenly made it really much more attractive to me. Before, I didn't really want one at all.

But now, the idea that it could be easily turned into a super-fabbo media centre device (like an old Xbox with XBMC but with more bells and whistles) and maybe play a few of the games that are PS3 only that may interest me (currently not that many I have to admit) make it kind-of-a-little tempting. And I wouldn't care too much for online play so wouldn't be too worried about PSN guff other than maybe yarring a few of the games.

Harrison
24th January 2011, 13:31
You can already use the PS3 as a good media player, without hacking it. It requires a media server to be running to serve the files for the PS3 to connect to and play. Running WMP11 on a PC using its library feature is an easy way for anyone, but we all hate WMP, and it is a bodged solution. However there is a good free Java based server called ps3mediaserver (with the unfortunate acronym of PMS :lol:) you can run on any computer (PC, Linux, Mac) for the PS3 to access and run files. It also works with the Xbox 360 so is quite a universal solution.

It definitely is more appealing than before now it has been finally hacked with CFW, but as you say, there are still not really that many truly exclusive titles on the PS3. GT5 and FFXIII are 2 I would say are worth it. And for downloadable games, Wipeout HD and Stardust HD are both great. The Alien Breed games are also really good, but also available on PC so not exclusive. There are quite a few good RPGs though.

Tiago
24th January 2011, 17:03
About media player for ps3, i have it installed in my laptop, and i am able to play mp3 and movies, but i have to do it in the PS3, i choose the directory here the files are in my pc and it works, but can i load a mp3 directly in media player in pc?

Demon Cleaner
24th January 2011, 22:26
Apparently it's not possible to play mp3 files with the PS3 media server, I guess its only purpose is to stream the media.

I'm putting Little Big Planet 2 now on the internal disk to test it, and I'm currently downloading Dead Space 2.

Harrison
25th January 2011, 10:51
Has there been any mention of the hackers looking at getting PS2 compatibility back into the CFW? I'm thinking it might be possible, in the same way that on the PSP they used different official firmwares and combined them to get the best bits. Would be great to get back the ability to run PS2 games, and being a CFW no need for them to be original. However I wonder even if that it possible if it would be restricted to the original PS3 and not the slim.

Harrison
25th January 2011, 10:54
The other thing I wanted to ask is if the CFW will run games from BD-R?

And what about region free Blu-Ray video? As standard the PS3 is region locked.

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2011, 13:12
Don't know about PS2 games, but I think they will run from external disc. I didn't look into that yet, as it doesn't bother for me, if I want to play a PS2 game, I will still grab my PS2 to play it.

Don't know if you can burn games yet on BD and if the BD player of the PS3 will then be able to play it, and what would be the point, external storage is much cheaper, and you won't get coasters.

I was talking to Zyriax about the region free BD this afternoon, it should be possible to make the PS3 now region free for movies, but I guess it's not very important, hence not what people are concentrating on right now. Also as PS3 games are anyway region free, don't know if peope care about movies.

Harrison
25th January 2011, 13:26
Those interested in using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player will likely be interested because there are always a lot of releases in other regions that don't appear in your own. Those into Japanese horror and Manga for example, and even limited edition versions of films in different regions. I don't know if the BD film releases are effected in the same was as DVD was, but with DVD releases often the same film could be of very different quality in different regions, with US releases often being a high bittrate and cleaner image. I for one would love the ability to run US and Jap discs in a UK PS3.

Regarding running PS2 games. It is really keeping things tidy. If the PS3 could run all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games then no other systems would need to be setup, and with it all going through an HDMI cable produce a better image for everything. An all in one solution.

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2011, 14:14
Like I said, it could be that there is already something for PSX and PS2 support, but I don't know as at the moment I don't really care about it.

I would like to see a cheating solution, a kind of Action Replay, which I think would be very easy to program, but I also think that not a lot of people are interested in it.

And don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to be able to run region A,B,C BDs in the PS3, but I doubt that this is one of their primary goals at the moment.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Tiago sent me a PM asking some questions about the custom firmware, I think I'm gonna put it here, if there's someone else wanting to do it, so I don't have to reply to everyone, just ask the question in this thread and I will answer it if possible. (I hope it's Ok for you Tiago?)

anyway, i friend of mine, just did the hack with sucess, so i will do the same steps as he did, just want to ask you, if it was the same way as you did, or if you see any thing wrong with this steps, a bit afraid of damaging the hardware:

- format a pen in fat32
- get firmware 3.55 from http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/
- put the file in pen ike this: x:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
- dowload http://www.multiupload.com/EKOQWP2LIN
- download md5checker http://www.georgejopling.co.uk/md5check/md5
checker_setup.zip
- extract the 2 last files and put in a temp directory, also put the PS3UPDAT.PUP
in same directory
- type in a cmd line: bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile
- run MD5 checker, it should appear: 2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b
- put the results in x:/PS3/UPDATE (pen)
- connect the pen to ps3
- then do the turn it on while pressing on/off .... i must check this better
i think i must hear 2 beeps
- then go to system update, then go on....
- install Backup Manager (gaia manager ??)

is it somethign like this, or did you do, a very diferrent thing?
what happend after? when you got all think setup? the day after you
whant to install an original game, if i go to system information, what is the current firmware after the setups? will it be 3.55? will the original ask for a firmwaer upgrade?

thanks

First of all, I wouldn't patch the PUP file myself, just download the already pre-patched file, it's attached with the original firmware in one of the threads in the link I sent you. I used that one, it's kmeaws 3.55 custom firmware.

Then like you said, put it under x:\PS3\UPDATE\ (file MUST be called PS3UPDAT.PUP)

Put the PS3 in standby mode (no need to power off).

Insert your pen with the update file.

Now hold down the power on button, the PS3 beeps once, then again, and then it switches it off again by itself.

Now hold down the button again, the PS3 turns back on, keep the button down until you hear two straight beeps, then release the button, and you will be in recovery mode.

There you install first the original 3.55 firmware (you only need to do that if yours ist still 3.41 or 3.50, or you already have another custon firmware installed, if you already have the original 3.55 firmware, just put the custom one).

Then you do the whole operation again, but you put kmeaws 3.55 custom firmware.

Now when you restart your PS3, in the row where the games are, you have 2 more menus, one being "install package files", from where you now install .pkg files, also your backup managers. The firmware will then be 3.55, and it will NOT ask you to update, as you have 3.55 installed.

Level 2 patch has now been integrated into backup managers, but they were still freezing the PS3 quite a lot. With the newest Gaia Manager 2.04, which I tested yesterday, there were no freezes anymore (at least when I tried).

You can now use external disks with games on it, or even USB stick, or you transfer them via FTP client to your internal PS3 disk, which is the best option. You can download blackb0x ftp server 1.2 for 3.55 from the internet, that one works fine. Or you just install Gaia Manager and in the GUI you enable it's FTP function, I think you have to press R1, it says onscreen.

Games on external disks go to x:\GAMEZ

Games on internal disk go to hdd0\game\laun12345\gamez (There's also other folders supported, but this is the one I used since the beginning, so I will stay with that one). If the backup manager doesn't create the folder by itself, you have to add it manually.

If there's something else, just ask.

Harrison
25th January 2011, 15:52
That process sounds really easy. Can anything go wrong?

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2011, 16:05
Basically not, there were no reports yet of bricking a PS3 with the latest CFWs. Of course don't switch the console off whilst updating, which can happen with any firmware you update, not only on the PS3.

Btw, yesterday Little Big Planet 2 was working like a charm.

And @Tiago what I forgot to mention, there's a program called "Fix File Permissions", which you should also install.

After putting a game to your HDD, and it doesn't work, just run this program. It will, like it says, fix again the file permissions, and will probably make your game start properly. This is because some FTP programs change file permissions when transferring them. So basically every time you put a new game to your internal HDD, run this program. Best is to put some games straight away, and run it once.

You don't need to run that program every time you start your PS3, only once when there's new files on the HDD. And when running it, don't think it froze, because it might take some time, at the moment when I do it, it takes 3-5 minutes due to the amount of files on my HDD. Just watch the HDD light flickering, then you know it's still running. It goes back to XMB when finished.

Though I started a game yesterday from my external HDD, and it worked straight away, without fixing the file permissions. Could be that they added it to the backup manager too, not sure about that, will have to try it out with another game. Or it is perhaps because I launched it from external HDD, and it wasn't transferred first via FTP to the internal one.

Harrison
25th January 2011, 16:08
Do they work on all versions of PS3?

And something else I just thought of. If you already have downloaded paid for games and other content will it effect them, or will they remain working as with a normal FW update? I'm assuming they will.

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2011, 16:43
Works with ANY PS3. Downloaded content will still work as usual.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Gaia Manager 2.05 was released, comes with hardcoded payload, meaning even less crashes, and the payload has been changed (with syscall36), shouldn't also crash within a game now anymore.

Tiago
26th January 2011, 09:01
Done !!!
My is also working,
I was able to do it with "Uncharted I". Very easy to do it.
:D

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2011, 12:49
Glad you did it and you got it working :thumbs:

Played Dead Space 2 yesterday, works like a charm, I'm in chapter 5 right now.

Harrison
26th January 2011, 13:29
Just thought of something else. Do you need to have an original PS3 game in the drive to launch backups?

Tiago
26th January 2011, 13:31
I could not launch anything without having a ps3 original, but any original will do.
to run uncharted 1 i had litle big planet inside... but i only try so far the internal HD, i must get a new external usb drive.

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2011, 13:46
Since version 2.04 of Gaia Manager, they removed again the possibility to run a game WITHOUT having an original in the console (don't ask me why). Guess they will put it back soon, because some people's BD drive of the PS3 is broken, so they can't use it with an original anymore. I don't bother, I always keep an original disc inside.

With the normal JB, you will have to use an original.

Tiago
26th January 2011, 14:47
i dowload the "Fix File Permissions" yesterday, how do i use it?
I read that it need to have the 3.55 update in the same pen????
I dont know if i will installed it, i only try 1 game and it workrd, i guess i will not use it till i got some game that dont work...
but please tell me how should i install it, is it only that file? and it's just plugin the pen and install as package? or must i do the on/off stuff ?

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2011, 15:39
You install it like a normal .pkg file, then you have it as application on your PS3. You simply click on it to run it, it's just like an .exe file.

Tiago
26th January 2011, 15:51
You install it like a normal .pkg file, then you have it as application on your PS3. You simply click on it to run it, it's just like an .exe file.

Great !
What about the online? i disable the internet on PS3 till i am sure it will not do anything bad.
if i go online, you said games will update (both original and "backup") ?
there are some rumors about Sony be able to track (in PSN?) if you have the normal 3.55 or the hacked 3.55 and be able to or cut your account, or something like ban you serial number??? Or is this only rumors that dont have logic ?

There is also the issue the Sony are now hunting those who hacked the firmware and trying to bring a court case against them. .... what about this? is it true? how can they do that?
Is it not legal to do your own backups??? not talking about downloading in torrents, but doing it with an original...

i was thinking if this craking stuff would not open new doors to the PS3... they are starting to control the machine, someday we'll have the change again to put Linux on it.... even an amiga emulator... maybe.

Harrison
26th January 2011, 16:09
Exactly. Now CFW allows any program/code to be installed the homebrew scene should start to take off. It won't be long before the first emulators appear, then we will be able to see how powerful the PS3 really is.

I'm also a little worried about online activity with a CFW. With the 360 M$ quickly worked out how to detect it and block the machines, so I can see Sony looking at ways to do the same. And those with upgraded Plus subscriptions could lose their accounts.

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2011, 16:17
if i go online, you said games will update (both original and "backup").
Both. Install a downloaded game, sign in, and then run the game. If there's an update available, it will automatically download and install it as it would be an original.

I don't know about Sony tracking people down, I really have no idea, I didn't get any information on that because I don't care about. I never play online, I only update my games and download some stuff from the store, as I did also now with the CFW. If they want to ban me, they just should go ahead, don't care much.

There's an application called "wipe histroy", perhaps you wanna try that one out --> WIPE HISTORY (http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/23/wipe-history-v2-0-released/#more-6384)

Tiago
26th January 2011, 16:48
And if you go online to update games only, would it be possible to sony to track you?
I guess the update goes directly to the game server... s sony could not track it...

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2011, 17:57
Honestly, I have not the faintest idea, but I doubt that they would see if you only update your game.

Harrison
26th January 2011, 21:31
I think it is probably too early to know for sure yet. I wonder how Microsoft manage to detect and track hacked Xbox 360's online and lock them? I will have to do some research.

Tiago
27th January 2011, 10:35
You can now update your "backup" games without going online...

http://www.multiupload.com/QH6LSACPH0

well, wrong, i think he goes online, he searchs the games on external HD and updates them.

Demon Cleaner
27th January 2011, 13:35
There's some applications existing already for longer time, where you enter the title ID of the game (BLES00123 f.ex.), then it fetches you the update from internet, you download it, put it on your USB device, and run it through your XMB. That's what I did in JB mode.The one I use(d) is called NZHawk's Awesome Update Finder, quite useful program.

Tiago
27th January 2011, 15:39
A friend send me this:

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

Teho
27th January 2011, 23:29
I don't think they can run that code legally in many countries. A passive scan that doesn't go in and search for things but reacts as someone attempts to use a hack is ok, but active security scans that go in and rummage through your files, searching for undesired material is a legal gray area in most countries and flat out illegal in some. They might want to be careful about using something like that. Could turn into a PR nightmare for them. They're allready under fire here in Norway for issuing updates that removes features (that Linux-killing Firmware update). Our equivalent of the Office of Fair Trading, Forbrukerrådet, is likening it to "buying a six-seat car, having it serviced and returned to you as a four-seater because that's what the manufacturer wants it to be from now on". It'll probably reach the courts, and spying on their consumers probably isn't going to help their case.

Submeg
28th January 2011, 11:54
I don't think they can run that code legally in many countries. A passive scan that doesn't go in and search for things but reacts as someone attempts to use a hack is ok, but active security scans that go in and rummage through your files, searching for undesired material is a legal gray area in most countries and flat out illegal in some. They might want to be careful about using something like that. Could turn into a PR nightmare for them. They're allready under fire here in Norway for issuing updates that removes features (that Linux-killing Firmware update). Our equivalent of the Office of Fair Trading, Forbrukerrådet, is likening it to "buying a six-seat car, having it serviced and returned to you as a four-seater because that's what the manufacturer wants it to be from now on". It'll probably reach the courts, and spying on their consumers probably isn't going to help their case.

Wow, sounds like Sony are going to be in a bit of hot water over this...

Harrison
28th January 2011, 12:38
Sony already got into similar trouble a while back over the copy protection they were using in PC games, with their game installers basically installing spyware onto the system, which connected your PC back to Sony's servers and reported your activities. They lost that case and had to remove that software, and provide a removal tool within an update for the games that contained it.

Therefore I can't see them getting away with doing the same on the PS3, although a PS3 can be argued to be a closed platform and not open like the PC, so it is a very different market. Nintendo for example normally win their court cases on the argument of it being a closed platform and alteration of their firmware and other system files being illegal. Sony are currently trying to bring the PS3 firmware hackers to justice using this very approach, saying they have altered the proprietary and closed PS3's firmware illegally to allow unsigned code to be run. I think they do have the law on their side for that, but actually getting anywhere is another matter as hackers are not known to make their identity or location known. Look at the PSP firmware scene to show they still haven't succeeded there.

Of course, the hackers are often just as smart as the system's own firmware developers, and I wouldn't be surprised if they work something out. I'm imagining a firewall on your PS3 designed to block anything going back to Sony would work.

Tiago
28th January 2011, 15:01
Looks like there is some emulators for the PS3... sega saturn and PS2...
anyone try them yet?

Demon did you see any difference from Gaia to Multiman? Looks exactly the same with a diferent interface.

Harrison
28th January 2011, 15:30
A decent PS2 emulator would be good news, although I'm sure they will add PS2 support into a CFW soon (if they haven't done already). Saturn emulation would be great if it works. No Saturn emulation has yet been that successful and although that system was a commercial failure and didn't see that many decent releases, it did have a few games worth playing. I've had a Saturn ISO collection for a long time with no way of playing them properly.

Now what would be cool would be Wii emulation, using the Move controller! Now that would be interesting. ;)

Demon Cleaner
31st January 2011, 05:03
Demon did you see any difference from Gaia to Multiman? Looks exactly the same with a diferent interface.
Not really, I think they're coming from the same basis, even the interface looks very similar. There were some other managers too, like Flex Manager, Cover Manager, Open Manager... all based on the same thing.

Harrison
31st January 2011, 11:54
There was a new version of the official PS3 firmware released by Sony over the weekend, called version 3.56.

This release is needed to access the PS Store and to log into the PSN network for online play. Anyone still using 3.55 will not be able to go online or access to the PSN network at all.

It is said that Sony were working on this ever since it was known that hackers had broken the FW and released a CFW that worked. Sony also took the measure of placing a restraining order on the person presonsible for cracking the PS3 firmware's security codes, so the updated version wouldn't also be hacked in the same way. Sadly for Sony this didn't help at all because within the first hour after release it was announced that it had been cracked (some reports within 10 minutes), and by a completely different known hacker in the scene.

Hiowever, whilst it has been cracked, there isn't yet a new 3.56 version CFW, so if you want to continue running homebrew and backups you will need to stay using a 3.55 CFW, and lose the ability to access to PS store or go online. If you do update to the official 3.56 release as it will stop you playing backups and homebrew and you can't downgrade back to 3.55 (at the moment).

I'm sure a 3.56 CFW will be here very soon.

Harrison
31st January 2011, 16:10
Also... word of warning. There seem to be a lot of fake CFW for 3.56 floating around at the moment. Some even have instructions to force brick your console (remove power during the FW update). That will most likely brick the PS3 and kill it so never try that. Wait until someone confirms a real CFW for 3.56 and a few known people in the scene have tested it. I'm sure one will be alone soon considering a 3.56 JB now exists.

Harrison
2nd February 2011, 01:07
For those of you running a 3.55 CFW on your PS3's and now locked out of logging into your PSN accounts online, someone has just released a new proxy server bypass to allow your CFW to log in and go online again. It spoofs the correct FW version number to the Sony servers to allow you to log in and access them without the need for the older DNS tricks.

Its called "Simple PS3 Proxy - PSN Firmware Version Bypass"

You run this proxy on your PC and link the PS3 to it. Many are reporting it working perfectly already.

Full announcement:

Today Hideki has released what he calls Simple PS3 Proxy, a PSN Firmware version bypass application which functions similar to the other PSN bypass methods.

Download: Simple PS3 Proxy

From the ReadMe file: Set on your PS3 a web proxy of (PC IP) port 8080

IE: if the machine you are to be running this proxy on is 192.168.0.12 then put that as the IP and 8080 as the port in the PS3 network configuration for your web proxy.

If 3.56 is still current, just run the app and click start. If 3.60 or later is now out, change the 3.5600 value in required PS3 version to 3.6000 or similar.

As long as the PS3 is correctly configured and this app is running, you will be signed in. This is licensed under version 2 of the GNU public licence, see license.txt for details. Source code is included in the archive in /src

This software may not be sold, this software may not be bundled with things being sold, this software (or any derivative works) may not be distributed without the license and its source.

Please do not cheat in online games, it makes you a lamer and aggravates Sony. Hi to the people of #Amiga, #Atheism, #Pharyngula, #PSGroove etc.

[Hideki] - hideki.adam @ gmail.com - 31 Jan 2011

Possible errors

On PC:

If you get an error about mswinsck.ocx being missing, either run the proxy app as administrator or copy the included .ocx file (in \ocx) to \windows\system32. (or if you prefer, download and install the microsoft VB6 runtimes which include this required file but also a large number of other not required files...)

MS VB6 Runtime KB article link: VBRun60sp6.exe installs Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-time files (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887)

On PS3:

Error 8071053D - You are not running the proxy or the IP/Port are wrong.

Update request - You have not setup the proxy on PS3 side or Sony have worked around this workaround.

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks news. Also be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks Forum for updates!

Download: Simple PS3 Proxy (http://www.multiupload.com/4ZV9KBCTXG)

Source of article: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/simple-ps3-proxy-psn-firmware-version-bypass-released-79417/ (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/simple-ps3-proxy-psn-firmware-version-bypass-released-79417/)

Demon Cleaner
2nd February 2011, 04:06
I might try that out, because yesterday I was installing a PSN game, and after the update it wanted me to go to the PSN store to validate the license again, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play the game. Although I got it running after removing the update again, but at least this is worth a try.

Demon Cleaner
2nd February 2011, 14:05
I just read this:

PS3 Firmware 3.56 Includes a “Rootkit”

Reports around the globe seem to indicate that Sony is up to no good… The pros have dug deep, dissecting firmware 3.56 to the fullest, and what they found may surprise you… Then again it’s Sony, so maybe you won’t be surprised at all. Allegedly Sony has included their own “rootkit” so to speak, which allows them to execute remote code upon login. What code exactly? Well that can range from verifying system files, detecting custom firmware to searching for any installed homebrew. And the executed code can change at anytime — without a firmware update — Sony controls it all on their end.

Harrison
2nd February 2011, 14:11
I predict a riot!... or a court case at the very least! :lol: Definitely not legal in many countries as this is spyware. Sony should be well aware of such behaviour after previous events surrounding them, but then Sony is a large corporate company and they do often forget they are not above the law.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this new finding.

Tiago
7th February 2011, 21:02
Just to say:

I GOT AMIGA EMULATION IN PS3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
uhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!! :):lol::ninja:

IT'S WORKING !!!!!

Harrison
8th February 2011, 00:10
How well is it working?

Demon Cleaner
8th February 2011, 11:31
I saw yesterday that they released a homebrew version of UAE, didn't try it yet though (don't think I will try it anyway).

Tiago
8th February 2011, 12:06
well,

i could only work with kickrom 1.2 and 1.3, no other worked.
i was able to play
ik+
captain blood
carrier command
and load workbench 1.3 !!

but you dont have the options you have in winuae, just sme really basic settings. I dont saw anything related to memory or cpu.
but it's a first version, it's just a question of days till you have a better version.

But still very nice software

Harrison
8th February 2011, 14:27
New ports of UAE are normally quite basic in there setup. Remember that UAE has only ever been an OCS emulator and has no support for AGA. This was added directly into WinUAE by its developer and not migrated back to UAE. This is something that will always hold back Amiga emulation on any other platform, since WinUAE broke away from the original UAE project and went it alone to accelerate development and do a lot more with it. UAE is still however the basis for most other system Amiga emulators, so it will stay more basic. I'm imagining the PS3 emulation is about similar to the Wii Amiga emulator. Obviously a lot more power available to the emulator on the PS3.

Demon Cleaner
8th February 2011, 17:23
Exactly, that's why this emulator will never be updated, as it's based on UAE, and it's developement has been stopped totally since longer time, as almost everyone is using WinUAE.

Demon Cleaner
10th February 2011, 22:41
Some news concerning Sony:

DNS Trick Finally Blocked; Sony Makes More Legal Moves

Emails and comments are flooding in — Sony has finally blocked the DNS/proxy trick for getting onto PSN with an earlier firmware version, earlier than version 3.56. I thought they’d block it sooner, but hey… Maybe they’ve been busy with all the legal drama.

With respect to Sony’s legal bullying, posted is a good read at Wired. They mention Sony’s recent legal demands — demanding a federal Judge order Google to give up all the IP addresses and “other identifying information” of those who’ve viewed or commented on this [private] YouTube video.

Furthermore, in addition to Sony’s TRO, where geohot was forced to remove the PS3 keys and jailbreak from his site, he is now being ordered to give up all his computer gear to Sony. Stewart Kellar, geohot’s lawyer, is trying to convince the judge otherwise. And you know Sony isn’t stopping there — they’re still looking for team fail0verflow, KaKaRoTo, Waninkoko, graf_chokolo, Hermes and Kmeaw, who again, most of them anyway, are outside DMCA jurisdiction, I think…

Anyway, back to PSN… Like any situation in life you have three options: 1) Buy a second PS3 (Sony will like you more), hack it or use it for PSN, and do the opposite with your current console; 2) Forget your current hacks and upgrade your console to firmware 3.56 right now; 3) Sit, chill, and wait for future hacks potentially getting you back on PSN … but you know the risks involved with that.

LG Accuses Sony of Patent Infringement

Sony with a little legal trouble of their own… As the title suggests, LG Electronics in Seoul of South Korea are making claims against Sony — Sony is apparently infringing on two of LG’s patents with respect to how the PS3 renders Blu-ray data. LG is demanding an “immediate investigation” by the International Trade Commission and wants them to halt sales of the PS3 in the United States. Wow, imagine that.

It makes me wonder what took LG so long to figure this out; I mean the PS3 has been on store shelves for nearly 5 years … did LG jailbreak the PS3 in order to find and claim patent infringement? Ha ha.

Sony Gets Denied by U.S. District Judge

The Honorable Susan Illston hammers her gavel down, denying Sony their motion to subpoena several Internet sites including YouTube, Twitter, PayPal, etc. in hopes to locate the whereabouts of fail0verflow and other PS3 hackers. So KaKaRoTo, Waninkoko, graf_chokolo, Hermes and Kmeaw can rest easy tonight … that’s not to say they were worried, after all graf has setup a new site dedicated to his PS3 hacking efforts.