PDA

View Full Version : what happend to Atari-forum?

Tiago
29th November 2010, 15:57
What happend to atari.forum?
http://www.atari-forum.com/

since last week, they are off-line. Do you know what happend.

When i access to it, it says:
This index file needs to be replaced with a file from your backup.

Phantom
29th November 2010, 15:59
Atari? Do they really exist? :p

Tiago
29th November 2010, 16:31
Atari? Do they really exist? :p

yes yes, i know... Atari....
I also have an Atari, not only Amiga... ...
Amiga is better but i also like Atari.

Phantom
29th November 2010, 16:43
I started with Ataris you know...:)

Tiago
29th November 2010, 16:55
i like them, i have an 520 ST, and i will have 1 STE one of these days.
i did my first Atari hacking transforming an old amiga mouse into an atari mouse. :)

Phantom
29th November 2010, 17:12
I hate them.... very much... :lol:

Harrison
30th November 2010, 09:10
Back on topic. I'm not sure what has happened to the forums, other than that message is an error generated by the forum software due to a missing index.php file. I will do some asking about and see if I can find out. It would be a real shame to see that forum vanish as it had a lot of very useful information on ST modding on there, plus a good group of ST enthusiasts.

Tiago
30th November 2010, 12:11
Yes it was a good forum, it was there that i get the info for change a amiga mouse into a atari mouse.
That mini project was well supported by atari-forum members.

Harrison
30th November 2010, 13:09
I also used their forum for hardware details to build an ST to Scart cable, and to upgrade the TOS roms. Great group of members, all very helpful. Lets hope it returns very soon.

I found an old thread on another forum about it being down, but that was dated Fed 2010, and as I understand from that thread, there is only one admin there who has any knowledge of the forum software and is able to fix it, so the other admins and mods there are probably waiting for him to appear and fix it for them. If any of you know any direct contact details for any of the other staff then let me know as I could probably volunteer to look at it for them and fix it.

Bloodwych
1st December 2010, 08:57
It's been down before in the past with a similar error.

Hopefully it will be back up soon enough.

Being an Atari ST owner before buying the Amiga Batman pack, I have a soft spot for the ST. I was lucky enough to own an ST when others had 8-bit machines. The bragging rights were enormous!

So I'll always have a warm and fuzzy place in my heart for the ST and its chip sounding tunes.

Harrison
1st December 2010, 10:39
I've dug out" Techy Alison's" email and contacted her to ask, so hopefully I will get a reply and find out what is happening. It has a huge resource of information for the ST and it would be a waste to lose it.

BTW, Bloodwych. Same for me. Upgraded from an Amstrad CPC to an ST in '87 and really enjoyed the system until 1989 when a friend bought an A500 and I instantly knew it was better. :)

Bloodwych
1st December 2010, 13:40
I think I had my 520ST in the similar time frame. 1986-89, with the single sided drive. My friend had the ST with the separate disk drive.

What were your first ST games? I remember them clearly - Barbarian, Starwars and Super Sprint. On black single sided disks!

Harrison
1st December 2010, 16:10
Mine was a 520STFM. It came with Ranarama, so that was the first game I played on the ST when I got it. Not sure what other first games i had as I bought quite a few over time. Barbarian and Rampage instantly spring to mind as favourites though. And I remember the day I purchased the Star Wars Trilogy, containing the original Starwars wireframe game, plus the 2 arcade sequels. That was brilliant at the time having the same sampled Star Wars Obi Wan samples as the arcade original. We should start a new thread and reminisce about the ST.

Eventually that STFM died when the PSU blew. I sold it on ebay for spares years ago. Then a while back someone on Amibay was offering an STFM to a good home so i grabbed it to relive some of the great memories of the system, and soon after that got hold of an STE also.

Bloodwych
2nd December 2010, 15:53
Yeah, Rampage was a great game multiplayer. I somehow preferred Defender of the Crown on the ST too. It seemed to run faster and the music sounded better - more crisp and true - without the softer tones of the Amiga version.

IK+ also was great on the ST. As was Guantlet and Time Bandit.

STE was a nice machine. Went a long way to catching up to the Amiga 500. Shame it never got much software that really used it.

Harrison
2nd December 2010, 16:04
Oh yeah, Gauntlet. We played that a lot multiplayer on the ST :) And Captain Blood... as mentioned elsewhere on the forums it was a better version than the Amiga one. Clearer samples in the Jarre music and sampled speech for the aliens.

Phantom
4th December 2010, 13:01
Gauntlet? Huh, one of my favourites in Amstrad CPC 6128. Playing all day with a friend.

Bloodwych
4th December 2010, 13:40
It is a classic Phantom; I played it all day once on the spectrum two player - using keys. That was a cramp fest!

Tiago
5th December 2010, 22:28
Atari-forum.com It's on-line again !

Bloodwych
8th December 2010, 18:53
Thanks for the heads up Tiago - I knew it'd be back! :)

Harrison
8th December 2010, 23:33
Yes, great news indeed.

I couldn't see any mention of why it was down, but some members have posted thank you's for it being back up. Lets hope it stays up now. Maybe time to archive some of the best and most useful posts containing information on there.

Phantom
29th December 2010, 12:41
Atari-forum.com It's on-line again !

OH NO!!! :p

Tiago
4th January 2011, 12:21
It's down again....

Harrison
4th January 2011, 13:58
I'm guessing their hosting account can't cope with the forum software's needs.

When my planned expansion to our own forums takes place very soon I think adding an area for the Atari ST has to be the first port of call, plus a dedicated wiki.