PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite Amiga games of all time?

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 12:51
We had this topic on the old forum, so I thought I would bring it back for the new one. It doesn't matter how many games you can think of, just post them all. Especially those you hold the fondest memories for. :)

This is a great way for those searching for games to play to quickly make up a list of games to try out first.

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 13:27
For me there were a lot of great Amiga games, as there are for many others too. Here are some of my favourites.

Frontier: Elite 2 This is probably the game I played the most out of any game on the Amiga. Based on the original classic Elite it expanded the games universe and added a lot of new features. Space trading, combat, missions, assassinations... as well as bringing the game fully up to date with filled polygon graphics and great classical music score. An amazing game.

Dungeon Master Originally released on the Atari ST, this game was responsible for the video game RPGs moving out of the Text Adventure era and into the visual interactive one.

Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 Building on the Dungeon Master style of gameplay it expanded on the ideas it introduced, including AD&D rules and creatures from the AD&D universe. If you like RPGs this was one of the best on the Amiga.

World of Legend The sequel to Legend, this RPG uses a similar dungeon crawling isometric style to Heroquest and a map based world view to travel.

Populous 2 The sequel to Populous, this is still one of my favourite God games released to date.

Sim City 2000 The first Sim City was released for the Amiga before any other platform, but although this sequel was released on the PC first, the AGA Amiga version was the version I originally played and it is still my favourite version in the series.

Arkanoid II There have been a lot of Bat and Ball style games released over the years but this is still my favourite.

Alien Breed SE '92 A brilliant sci-fi above view Alien themed shooter, with this special edition polishing the original with some little tweaks and additions.

Wings For many this is still one of their favourite games. Taking an arcade approach to flight sim style gaming, it mixs many different styles of bi-plane flight into this great game, with the diary entries between each level adding a lot of atmosphere to the game. Foremost an Arcade Shooter, it contains some great 3D flight missions as well as isometric levels.

Lemmings Given away in a lot of Amiga A500 and A600 packs, and for good reason. It is still one of the best puzzle games and is still as fun now as it was on release. The sequel Lemmings 2: Tribes added a lot more themed and interesting levels to the gameplay.

Chaos Engine From the Bitmap Bros this great shoot 'em up played it's best in Two player mode. Steam punk style design with great sound effects and level design.

Speedball II A brilliant futuristic sports game based on ideas from the file Rollerball, mixed with ideas from Football and American Football. Still only of the most playable and enjoyable sports games to date.

Flashback Games before it had used retroscoping to animate their game characters (Prince of Persia) but Flashback really did this well. It also included a great story and many different things to do in this platformer that made it more of an Adventure than just a standard platform game.

WolfChild A great arcade platform game.

D/Generation This is one of my favourite Arcade Adventure/shooter style games on the Amiga. Using an isometric style it has some great puzzles in each area and always brings back memories of some of the games on the 8-bit platforms such as Knightmare.

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 13:44
Xenon 2 Recently I've seen some people panning this great game, but on its release it was one of the best shoot 'em ups released. The graphics were amazing, and the gameplay was great fun. The powerup system with the shop was only quite a new idea at the time.

R-Type The Amigqa version was the best home conversion at the time and one of the best side scrolling shooters in its day.

Dune II This game was responsible for creating the whole Command and Conquer style of strategy game and the used the Dune universe to create a great real time strategy game.

Exile Originally released on the Acorn BBC computer, the Amiga version, especially the AGA version, was the best released on any platform. This is one of the best examples of this style of Platform adventure.

Civilization One of the best strategy games at the time, and still great fun today. Civ 4 was recently released on the PC, but when I tried it I didn't enjoy it as much as the original Amiga version. Sometimes sequels can make things too complicated to really enjoy a game as much as its original.

Lure of the Temptress There were many great Adventure games released on the Amiga and this was one of my favourites. It was one of the first games that tried to introduce a working culture where in game characters went about their daily lives.

Monkey Island As many others would mention this was one of the greatest Adventure games released on any platform to date. Brilliant Pirate based story with great jokes and humour throughout. The sequel was even better.

Beneath a Steel Sky Futuristic Sci-Fi adventure with some great hand drawn illustrated graphics and a very nice story.

Puni/Void
22nd December 2006, 14:31
Favourite Amiga games of all time? That is a question that can't be answered in a few sentences, at least that counts for me. There are so many awesome titles to choose from. Amiga was after all the best machine for games when it was at its height. Anyway, here is a list over my favourite titles in random order.

Civilization:

Civilization was a game that I never became bored of playing. Every game was a new challenge and there were quite a lot of different ways you could choose to play the game. You could fight for democracy or oppress your people by being an evil despot. You could go for the diplomatic line or you could be the biggest warmonger the world had ever seen. Since I was a kid I have been deeply interested in history, and Civilization actually brought this a step further. A true classic that I imagine would be fun even today.

Dune 2:

Great RTS game with fast paced action and atmosphere. This game really hit the spot and it was widely popular. With three different factions to play, a lot of different units and buildings, and a good story, I played it again and again.

Parasol Stars:

Fun and cute two-player platformer with lots of variety and secrets. One of the coolest platformers on the Amiga in my opinion. Two people can play at the same time and work together to clense the universe of evil monsters.

The Secret of Monkey Island:

I guess you all remember the first game featuring the wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood? Well, I guess I don't need to say more. One of the best adventure games ever made, and it still makes me laugh today. :)

Burntime:

Some of you might be a bit surprised that I choose to mention this title in the list. Well, I really enjoyed playing it because it was quite different from most other games. Burntime is an RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world. Your goal as a player was to unite a huge area by taking control of different territories. These territories could be cities or small camps. You could walk around in the cities talking to different people, hire them for services, visit the pub, trade items and do all sorts of stuff. The game was quite advanced that way. In order to survive you had to hunt for food and water, or else you would starve. Another danger was mutants and radiation. You could also build stuff like an anti-radiation suite out of different items. In short, a great game with lots of possibilities. The only bad thing about it was the fighting - it looked awful and completely outdated. But apart from that, one of my old favourite RPG's.

Zak McKracken:

A funny, but very, very hard adventure game. I don't know anyone who managed to complete this game without a hint-book. A true classic which is just as fun today.

Sensible Soccer:

Great football game. Do I need to say more?

That was a few of my favourite games. Will try to add a few more at a later date. :) There is still a ton of awesome games that hasn't been mentioned yet. ;)

UFO Enemy Unknown:

Humans fighting ET's - can you save the world from the alien invasion? UFO Enemy Unknown is a complex strategy game where you have to lead and organize the defence against the alien menace.

Wings:

Action orientated WW1 flight simulator. Participate in dog fights, bombing runs or strafe the trenches at Somme. Excellent graphics and music as always from Cinemaware.

It Came from the Desert 1 and 2:

Both games are excellent adventure/role playing games from Cinemaware. Can you stop the big mutated ants from taking over the world?

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 14:46
I forgot to mention Sensible Soccer in my list. It is still my favourite Soccer game to date. So easy to play with such a simple control system that anyone can pick it up and play without having to worry about learning the controls. It containing some of the best and enjoyable gameplay you can find in any mutliplayer game.

TiredOfLife
24th December 2006, 08:24
Some great ones mentioned above already
Would have sit down and a good think to give a defintive list.
How about some of these below?

Cannon Fodder 1+2
Chaos Engine 1+2
Foundation
Hunter
Lemmings
LordsOfChaos
Mega-Lo-Mania
Micro Machines
Pinball Dreams/Illusions/Fantasies
Power Monger
Skid Marks

J T
24th December 2006, 20:47
Oh yes, there were some great games.

The Secret of Monkey Island is a classic, and to this day stands brilliantly with the very best, most memorable games. I remember playing this with my dad, and oddly enough being told the answer to a puzzle that had us stumped by the kid sitting next to me at a Michael Jackson concert at Wembley stadium. I love this games style, setting, humour and charm.

Syndicate was great. Dark and edgy, violent and sinister, very good fun but those last couple of levels were nigh on impossible.

Micro Machines was so much fun in two player, but I never could beat the game. I could ace every race up until the long desk race with the sports cars. Those damned ruler bridges undid me every time.

Ultimate Soccer Manager had it all. A big database, many options but not too many stats, a neat visualisation for the match and the day to day work and the ability to remodel the stadia and surrounding area of shops and restaurants. And with the bribes, bungs, betting, newspaper reports and teletext it really captured the football spirit.

AlexJ
28th December 2006, 12:29
To add to those listed above:

The Settlers was the game that got me into the strategy genre and still a good play.

Rainbow Islands was a fun arcade conversion, a vertical platformer (if that makes sense!) that I really enjoyed.

Microprose Formula One Grand Prix was THE racing game for Amiga. It's graphics look hideously dated now but compared to things like the Lotus games it was awesome at the time.

Vangar
29th December 2006, 13:02
Rainbow Islands was a fun arcade conversion, a vertical platformer (if that makes sense!) that I really enjoyed.

Parasol stars was also pretty good imo.

Toasty667
8th May 2007, 10:27
Alien Breed 3D
Body Blows
Cannon Fodder
Gloom
Jetstrike
Pinball Dreams
Second Samurai
Super Methane Brothers
Trex Warrior
Trick or Treat
Trolls (Yeah I know but I enjoyed it:lol: )
Uridium 2

Harrison
8th May 2007, 12:12
Uridium 2 was definitely great game.

Demon Cleaner
8th May 2007, 12:35
I played Uridium a lot on the C64, tough game. But it's indeed very good, but who wonders, there's no other else than Andrew Braybrook behind this.

Merlin
8th May 2007, 14:32
Elite
Elite II
Brutal Sports Football
Wings of Fury
Syndicate
Wings
James Pond II: Robocod
Morph
Walker

:)

Merlin

Submeg
9th May 2007, 02:13
Oh yea another wings fan :)

Harrison
9th May 2007, 08:59
Is there any Amiga fan who isn't also a Wings fan? Such a great game I think it has to be one of the greatest Amiga games of all time.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 13:17
Then where is a decent remake? :mad: Dont you think its about time there was one??

Harrison
9th May 2007, 13:58
As with many remakes our hope and dreams could be dashed by a dismal remake. I still have reservations about the remake of Speedball 2 for example as they still haven't released any actual in game footage for that one which is always a worry.

Remaking any fondly remembered and classic game can have the danger of completely ruining the original's reputation and in turn put many people against wanting to try the original game to see that it was so much better.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:02
But....but the graphics were blah, and redone now would be soooo nice!

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:04
Graphics? :o

Go and stand in the corner this instant young man!

Surely gameplay and great pixel art is enough for any to enjoy such a masterpiece as it is.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:13
Lol...my bad. I just meant the dogfights...when the planes were just a bit too far away, thats all that needs to be redone...

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:31
OK I do agree with you there. If they could update the 3D flying sections with some cutting edge and really cool looking graphics, but maintain the originals gameplay for those sections that would be great. But equally I wouldn't want them to touch the other sections other than making the graphics look a bit nicer with a richer colour palette and higher resolution.

The danger though is that an remake or update would muck around with the controls and core gameplay.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:44
Yea true...but thats all I want...update graphics, and better colour...no need for different views or anything, that was done to perfection...I saw a model SE5.a the other day in a market....was $300 AUD, but I am considering getting it...

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:45
What is a model SE5.a? Is that a plane or something?

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 14:46
Speaking about Speedball 2.

They also must add some nicer and bigger leagues, tournaments, cups, different players, stadiums, much like in a FIFA release.

And instead of a guy screaming icecream, they could add what sort of ice: so sometimes he'd cry banana ice cream or strawberry icecream :lol:

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:47
that is the biplane you fly in Wings...I love WWI aircraft!

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:51
But they also must add some nicer and bigger leagues, tournaments, cups, different players, stadiums, much like in a FIFA release.

You are talking about Speedball 2 right?

I agree with that. The remake needs to have an online mode with tournament, cup and league modes, but not tied into a single central server, otherwise that can get annoying relying on the game creators on server for access to online matches. Much better to be able to set your own servers up and then find them via Gamespy or a similar network (maybe even one built into the game).

Also different stadia would be really cool too. You could even take that further and add customisation. A league team could customise their team kit and also something that would be really cool would be the ability to customise your own league stadium adding unique features, designs and colour schemes. Now that would be cool!

Imagine, a classicamiga league stadium! :D

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:52
that is the biplane you fly in Wings...I love WWI aircraft!

Oh OK, I didn't know that. I may be a geek but... :lol: ;)

Merlin
9th May 2007, 14:52
What is a model SE5.a? Is that a plane or something?

Yes, like this one:

http://www.wes-technik.de/images/Se5a.jpg

http://www.wes-technik.de/images/SE5a-Skel.jpg

One of the better fighters of WW1....

Merlin

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:56
Cool. Nice model. I used to built bolas wood model planes for a while when I was younger but never really got into them that much. Preferred to continue painting and amassing my lead figure armies ready for battle or blood bowl. :)

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:10
Drool....

I did an entire project on WWI aircraft...I love them! They were an amazing invention...they evolved so fast!

Harrison
9th May 2007, 15:25
Where would we be today without two world wars? Probably far less advanced than we are today. Rockets, computers, planes, marine and land vehicles, even building construction. It would all be far less advanced.

We owe war for it all! :unsure:

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:30
True...the things people think of when they are being shot at

Harrison
9th May 2007, 15:36
It must speed up the thought processes being under such pressure and having your life in danger at the same time. Maybe we should stick the current developers of the next Amiga in a warzone? We might actually see something that way!

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:42
Yea that could work....or allow Mr G@+35 to dance in front of them...pretty sure that would get a response too!

Toasty667
10th May 2007, 09:42
Doh and how could I forget Base Jumpers? Loved that game. The bits where you jump off the building were original and I always made my mate splat against the wall.:evil:

J T
12th May 2007, 19:28
Where would we be today without two world wars? Probably far less advanced than we are today. Rockets, computers, planes, marine and land vehicles, even building construction. It would all be far less advanced.

We owe war for it all! :unsure:

Also radar and everything that followed on from that.

War really does have a way of advancing technology. Shame about all the killing and unpleasantness though.

Here's hoping for more progress and less wars in the future.

Harrison
14th May 2007, 13:56
Although it does reduce the surpass population! Maybe that's the problem these days. We haven't have a decent war for too long. ;)

Submeg
14th May 2007, 21:48
Yea we have way too many people.....not saying that a war is the answer, but something needs to be done

Ghost
22nd May 2007, 01:23
Hello all,

I haven't played so many Amiga games, and some of the games I am going to mention I actually played on the PC but I expect that they probably are just as good on the Amiga.

Cannon Fodder. Despite the morbid theme I enjoyed this game a lot and found myself humming the theme song pretty quick after hearing it for the first time.
To me this game together with Dune 2 launched the RTS genre (yes, I know about the Battletech game, but I never played it).
Even today it is still fun but I have to confess that I miss a quick save.

Turrican 2. Played this both on Summer Camp on a Commodore 64 and later on the Amiga by my nephew. So I used the trainer, I still enjoyed it a lot.

Lemmings. A friend of mine introduced me to this game on his parents old PC and I soon got hooked on it.
I tried playing console versions but nothing beats a mouse.

Sim City. Okay, technically not a game but I still treated it as one.
Building cities was quite fun and it reminded me of my Lego boxes.

The Settlers. It is still goig as strong today as it did when the first game was released but to me the later games never really recreated the charm of the original game.
I should have the PC version somewhere.

The James Pond games (platform ones). IMO the Amiga's answer to Nintendo's Mario and Sega's Sonic during the console wars but with a whole charm of its own.
While I have never been in the UK I really got the feeling that these were 'British' games and not attemps at recreating American or Japanese ones.

Walker. The game has lost a little over time but when I played it for the first time it was a blast, shooting soldiers and all their little verhicles or just stepping on them with your AT ST inspired killing machine.

The Secret of Monkey Island One and Two. I have to admit I never played them on the Amiga but I am pretty sure that they were just as good as the PC versions.
These are games that really made me laugh out loud and showed that games can be 'laughing' funny.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Another game I did not originally play on the Amiga but probably is not much different from its PC version.
There is only one word that can sum it all up very well; atmosphere!
You truly feel that you play the role of Indiana Jones in an adventure only he could have, taking on Nazis and stopping them from finding the power of Atlantis.
So bad the sequels were so different in gameplay and not as good.

Another World. I don't have to explain this one.
Hard as hell but so pretty to look at.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 17:42
Might as well add some of mine favourites as well. Just by reminiscing about these classics, I'm getting the urge to fire up the good ol' A500 again.

Powermonger: My all-time favourite strategy wargame. Still hasn't been equalled by any wargame so far, not even the Total War series. While it may be a bit shallow by today's standards, it's the fantastic atmosphere that made the game so compelling for me.

Sensible World of Soccer: Doesn't need much explaining, I think. Countless hours spent on this baby.

Utopia: Didn't get overly positive critical praise in magazines, but I loved it anyhow - again, because of the special atmosphere. The music was pretty spiffy as well.

Monkey Island 1 + 2: Also doesn't need much explaining. Wonderful humour, gameplay, music and graphics.

Flashback: Yummy goodness throughout.

Space Quest: This one made me laugh at a time when I didn't even grasp most of the jokes and parodical references. A timeless classic.

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluuuuxe! If I ever smashed a joystick, it was during the matches against the highest-tiered computer controlled teams. They bloody cheat, I tells you.

The Chaos Engine: Oodles of fun, but mostly when you have a friend to play the game with. Mesmerizing graphics.

A-Train: It sure didn't look pretty, but I was addicted to it for the longest time.

Frontier: Visiting uninhabited planets and trying to land on them without crashing the spacecraft was strangely compelling.

Wings: Manfred von Richthofen, who? Waldo P. Barnstormer FTW :)

Pang!: Anyone remember this? I thought it was absolute brilliant fun!

Mega-lo-Mania: This one as well.

Populous II: Playing God has never been this much fun.

Dune: Nothing like the book, but it was a very charming game anyhow. Spent a lot of time trying to grow greenery across the whole planet - pointless, but fun.

UFO: Enemy Unknown: Bloody frustrating at points, but superb fun otherwise.

I could go on, and on, and on, but these are the games that I remember most fondly.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 18:05
That is surely a good MUST PLAY list for non Amiga users out there.

TiredOfLife
3rd July 2007, 18:06
Lol...my bad. I just meant the dogfights...when the planes were just a bit too far away, thats all that needs to be redone...

Aahh didums.
Did the pilots moan that the enemy would be easier to see if they were that bit closer?
No they damm well didn't.
Stand up straight boy, shoulders back, your in the airforce now sonny jim.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 13:09
Nice Speedball screen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/speedball.jpg

Harrison
31st July 2007, 14:13
Looking good. Lets hope it plays well too.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 16:48
That doesn't look half bad at all. Hopefully, Brutal Deluxe will be in there somewhere as well, if only for nostalgia's sake :banana:

Submeg
2nd August 2007, 13:16

Aahh didums.
Did the pilots moan that the enemy would be easier to see if they were that bit closer?
No they damm well didn't.
Stand up straight boy, shoulders back, your in the airforce now sonny jim.

I was talking about how well defined the planes were..just too damn blocky

jamie1992
2nd August 2007, 16:45
Well first of all the games I picked dont seem to be very popular for amiga

1.Wendetta 2175

2 The Settlers

3. Canon fodder

4.Chaos Engine

Harrison
2nd August 2007, 16:50
Are you kidding? Cannon Fodder, The Settlers and Chaos Engine are three very popular titles, sold very well, and are still very popular Amiga games. Wendetta 2175 wasn't quite so well received because it was launched after the Amiga had started to decline and so the market has shrunk, but it was still a great game.

Good selection of games Jamie, and welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

v85rawdeal
2nd August 2007, 16:54
Welcome, Jamie, to the best Amiga site in the world... ever.

Just a couple of comments on a couple of your choices.

I too loved Settlers, a great game with nice big graphics, that certainly did well enough to spawn a collection of sequels.

And as for Cannon Fodder... This has got to be one of the greatest Amiga games ever, to the point where I had 3 copies of it, just so I didnt wear the disks out.

I vaguely remember Chaos Engine, which I guess means it didn't leave a lasting impression on me (probably because of genre rather than anything else)

But for me, it will always take an extra special game to beat Frontier.

But again, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Demon Cleaner
2nd August 2007, 18:51
Frogster is also working on a Chaos Engine remake, just like Speedball. And wlecome to the boards jamie1992.

AlexJ
2nd August 2007, 22:46
Settlers was great - never got into it's sequels but the original was just the type of strategy game I like. With most of them I spend ages building up my empire and then crush the enemy with the first attack. With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.

Demon Cleaner
2nd August 2007, 23:17
Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.

Harrison
3rd August 2007, 00:01
With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.

I wasn't alone then. I also couldn't quite work out the fight system. I know you had to make sure your Knights had a good supply of gold going to their outposts, which was meant to boost their moral and make them better in a fight, but the actual fight results still seemed a bit random in my view. It was always great seeing the little knights leave their building, draw their sword and march into battle. :)

J T
6th August 2007, 15:02
Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.

Mega-Lo-Mania was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it a lot. The Sensi humour was very evident here, and it was a good game as well - simple enough, but with a decent amount of depth to make you go back and play some more. Much like Alex mentions, though, I used to spend time making a big army to flatten the enemy in one go rather than lots of little skirmishes. Didn't always work, mind.

Sharingan
6th August 2007, 17:28
The battle system in Settlers has always been a mystery to me. I once lost 6 or 7 knights in a row, to the same defender. WTF.

And Mega-lo-Mania ... ah, such fond memories I have of that game. It's a shame that no more games like that are made anymore - simple in concept, but fiendishly addictive all the same. My tactic has always been amassing huge armies as well, and then flattening the opponents in one big sweep.

I wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush played Mega-lo-Mania when he was a kid. It would explain why the guy's so paranoid. Why else would he be so afraid of the Iranians and North Koreans? That's right, they're secretly developing Flying Saucers as we speak :thumbs:

toomanymikes
6th August 2007, 20:58
List as follows in no particular order:

Speedball 2
x out
agony
project x
alien breed 2
shadow of the beast 1 & 2
another world
hunter
desert strike
chase hq
cannon fodder
superfrog
james pond
stardust
gods
first samurai
populous 2

My all time fave has to be turrican 2 - i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga. Graphics, music and gameplay were out of this world.

Wow - nostalgia overload!

Submeg
6th August 2007, 21:56
Some nice games you listed there :yesyes:

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 05:16
i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga.That's what I call enthusiasm, excitement and fascination.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 09:34
That just shows how impressive the Amiga was at the time compared to everything else on offer. And is one of the main reasons why it has remained a favourite system for many people, even after so many years.

The same cannot be said of today's systems. They may all have impressive specs and be able to generate amazing visuals but they are very closely matched. The PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 can all generate near to identical end results so we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.

Part of the magic for me in the earlier gaming generations was the large differences that could appear between systems within a single generation, often ending up with a single platform more powerful than the others, but with developers of the lessor systems still trying to push them to aspire to the best on offer.

J T
7th August 2007, 09:39
we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.

*whispers* That'll be Nintendo, then.

:whistle:

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little poke, there.

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 09:43
I disagree, I don't think that Nintendo's Wii is much innovative, for me it looks more back to the cave. Ugh ugh, light fire, ugh. SWOOOOSH with the remote and it's on, you're kidding me ;)

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 09:59
All men play with their wii.

And I nod with approval at that list of favourites, toomanymikes. Played all of those games at one time or the other (except Hunter), and enjoyed them plenty.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 11:13
I don't think the Wii is really that much of an innovation either. The actual hardware is last generation, with the CPU and graphics just being updated versions of those found in the Gamecube. Yes the control system is different to the norm, but the Sony Eye Toy on the PS2 offered much the same motion sensing ideas years ago, with the camera motion detection giving maybe even more innovation as you could see yourself within the games as you played. Can the Wii do that? :nono:

The innovation with the Wii is that games for the system are easily accessible to non gamers and can be picked up and instantly enjoyed. Most being party games that you could easily compare to traditional party games. But it has the knock on effect of making most games for the system superfluous and short lived. A contract to games that long time gamers seek.

The Wii motion control system is well implemented and well conceived, but as is often the case with Nintendo systems only the first party software really takes advantage of it in the right way and creating well realised ways of using the controls. Pretty much all third party releases have yet to get to grips with the controls and end up being games that are harder to control than on other systems that are using a traditional control system.

J T
7th August 2007, 12:28
Eye toy was gash, though, quite a flawed system. It had potential and could be a laugh but never a more than that, it never worked properly.

The Wii may not be a powerhouse, but it was never meant to be. As an affordable piece of fun kit, something a little bit different, it's very good indeed. It's much more innnovative than simply 'making a more powerful machine'.

But this is all old news and this is a topic for Amiga games, so I won't say any more - it was just me playing devil's advocate after all.

toomanymikes
7th August 2007, 12:51
What i miss is the old format wars that used to happen when i was a kid. Completly irrelevant and purile, but great fun:
"What you got?"
"Amiga 500"
"There rubbish, my ST is better"
"Your talking mince - why?"
"When you turn it on it has a picture of the statue of liberty while your Amiga just has a hand holding a disk"
"That stcik man is meant to be the statue of liberty? Ha!"
And so on...(this was an actual conversation that my mate and me had in school).:p
As for the Wii and PS3 - i think the wii controls are great, especially for non gamers, and i think the graphics and capabilities of the PS3 are fantastic but id love to have a system that combined the two. My amiga did this back in 1989. I opened up my a600 for a bit of a snoop and was amazed to find a hard disk cradle and a modem input on the back - hell it even has a stereo output, something the wii dosent have today! All in all it was such an impressive and future proofed computer - its a real shame that they dont make them any more.:mad:

Harrison
7th August 2007, 14:51
I also remember the ST vs Amiga arguments well. Those were greater than any fan boy arguments you get these days comparing systems.

The big difference back then was that the systems and specs were largely very similar and very close to each other so the comparisons were much more about little details.

I remember an argument between an ST and Amiga user about how the ST was far better than the Amiga because the 68000 of the ST was clocked slightly higher than that of the Amiga. We are talking 7.16MHz compared to 8MHz. Madness. And this didn't take into account how the custom chips in the Amiga let the main CPU get on with processing while the ST's CPU had to do everything itself.

In complete contrast today the PS3 and Wii are nowhere near to being the same in terms of spec or target gaming style. Therefore unlike the old days they cannot really be compared as most dedicated gamers will own both eventually anyway. It would definitely be cool to see the control system of the Wii on hardware as powerful as the PS3. Maybe the next Nintendo system will deliver this, but we all know that Nintendo concentrate the most on the gameplay and not the hardware running it. And the PS3 does have the six axis system in the controller so it does have something. But has it been utilised properly yet?

Puni/Void
7th August 2007, 15:09
I also remember the ST vs Amiga arguments well. Those were greater than any fan boy arguments you get these days comparing systems.

Strangely enough, the argument erupted again at a demoparty called Big Floppy People this year. A demo for the Amiga was released by Hot Boyling Boys, and this production was aimed at intimidating Atari owners. Quite a few people (I've read) became upset by this, as there is hardly any platform wars left on the Scene. I personally dislike the production and even if it's a joke, it's not a good one.

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 15:20
Seeing Amiga and Atari fans talking tosh about each other's machines was always amusing ... and most of the discussion was about - yes - tiny little details. 'My version of game X has more colours.' 'Yeah?! But my dad can beat up your dad.'

I suppose it was natural to want to defend our purchase of choice back then - I mean, none of us had much money to spend, and when we got a new computer, it was likely we'd be stuck with just that for the next 3-4 years.

If all computers/consoles were free, there'd be no such thing as pointless bickering about who owned the better piece of gear. Come to think of it, why not make everything free? That would surely end all conflicts and wars that plague our world :yesyes:

About the use of the Sixaxis' motion controls in current games, it's been implemented in a few games so far. In MotorStorm, you can actually turn on a feature that allows you to tilt the controller to mimick a steering wheel. Pretty neat. In Resistance, whenever some foe grabs hold of you or you get ignited by a flame grenade, shaking the controller allows you to break free or shake off the fire.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 16:01
Come to think of it, why not make everything free? That would surely end all conflicts and wars that plague our world :yesyes:

The one problem with this is the main problem of humanity. Greed!

J T
7th August 2007, 16:26
Yeah, and religion too! Add that to the list of things to be scrapped.

toomanymikes
7th August 2007, 17:09
The tilt controls on the PS3 are quite neat - super rub a dub uses them alone to guide a rubber duck around a bathtub and its quite responsive. I think it was a bit of a bolt on solution after ninty revealed the wii tho...:yesyes:
Oh yeah - i forgot to add Monkey Island 1 & 2 to my list. Definate purchase material. A mate of mine - the Atari guy actually - saw the light and bought an A600 with Loom, which was fantastic but i remeber it feeling dated at the time as Monkey Island 2 and Beneath a steel sky were contemporary releases at the time.
While i'm at it ill add Apidia and Sim Ant - great insect based fun!:thumbs:

Sharingan
9th August 2007, 17:50
Apidya was wicked, and it had some brilliant music as well. Definitely one of the best side-scrolling shoot 'em ups on the Amiga. I thought it played a lot better than, say, Project X.

rbelk
19th October 2007, 15:09
Here's my favorites, in no particular order.

- Monkey Island
- Jumping Jackson (My son still plays this, an awesome game)
- Ruff 'n' Tumble
- Fire & Ice
- Marble Madness
- PGA Tour Golf
- Pac Mania
- Turrican
- Super methane Bro's
- Chaos Engine
- Clown-O-Mania
- The Persian Gulf Inferno
- Fury of the Furries

Harrison
19th October 2007, 16:11
I've not played Jumpin' Jackson for years. That was a very addictive game. I got hold of a copy many years ago when I bought a second hand A500 from someone and the game was on one of the disks. :)

Tiago
19th October 2007, 16:28
Jumpin' Jackson ..... so cool, the intro music was great ! :D
Still have the tune in my head

Puni/Void
19th October 2007, 19:54
Yes, that game had brilliant intro music! :thumbs:

Zetr0
25th January 2008, 11:57
hmmm this could get a long list indeed.... so i will attempt to limmit it to what i have installed on my e-uae machine :D

Zetty's Games

Space Hulk
Space Crusade
Hunter
Flashback
Captive
Elite 2: Frontier
Elite
Super Stardust
Super Cars 2
DOOM (1/2 and Thy Flesh Consumed :D)
Heretic
Hexen
Perihelion
Alien Breed(s)

Alien Breed
Alien Breed 92
Alien Breed 2
Alien Breed TA

Chaos Engine
Speed Ball 2
Dune 2
Dune
Laser Sqaud
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Sabre Squad
Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2
Bards Tale (1,2 and 3)
Wing Commander
Project X
Street Fighter 2
Super Foul Eggs
Lotus 2 & 3
Jaguar XJ220

I have prolly missed about twice as many lol

xdanger
1st June 2008, 20:36
Starglider II
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 1+2
Indy 500
Turrican II
Falcon
Powermonger
Flashback
Another World (Anufta Anufta)
Anything Team 17
Super Twintris
Interphase
I would include The Sentinel but the c64 was superior due to the Faster amiga version changing the game dynamic and feel of the game.

Buleste
2nd June 2008, 09:48
I never could understand why people liked the Sentinal. I loathed it. Played the C64 and Spectrum versions both awfull. Won't even consider the Amiga version.

Harrison
2nd June 2008, 13:32
I never got into that game either. Did you try the new remake that came out on the PC the other year? I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Buleste
2nd June 2008, 13:37
Didn't know about it but it wouldn't change my opinion about the game. Appartently there was a sequel done on PC and PS1 and there have been several remakes along with Sentinal Redux which is in the pipeline. Geoff Crammond should have stuck to racing games.

Harrison
2nd June 2008, 14:15
Very true. I want him to be working on Grand Prix 5, not some remake of a surreal 8-bit classic.

BTW, regarding F1, I read (http://www.guru3d.com/news/codemasters-formula-1-license-is-confirmed/) that Codemasters have now obtained the license for an F1 game. And with their TOCA Racer driver series, especially the latest GRID, and the Colin McRae games, especially Dirt, I think they could create a great F1 game.

Buleste
2nd June 2008, 14:24
Well Codemasters do own the team behind Sega Rally so whatever they do is going to be good.

Cammy
6th June 2008, 08:21
It'll be tough choosing my favourite Amiga games of all-time but I'll list some that I keep going back to play.

Superfrog
Marvin's Marvellous Adventure
Lionheart
Xtreme Racing
Turrican 3
The Chaos Engine
Rodland
Alien Breed: Tower Assault
Disposable Hero
Agony
It Came From The Desert
Flight of the Amazon Queen

There are so many more, but I have a lot of fun playing those ones.

Harrison
6th June 2008, 12:55
We are all in the same situation. So many to choose from that it is hard to select just a few as the best.

BTW, if you haven't looked yet, we are currently running a top 100 Amiga games of all time project on the forum. Have a look in the Amiga/Games section of the forum and there is a subforum in there for it. We have so far all submitted a top 100 list of our own personal favourite games, which was stage 1. I'm not compiling this list into a complete list of all of the games submitted. Then the second stage will be for all members to select their top 100 from this list. Once that is complete the final third stage will be to vote on the final top 100 list to get them into the final order of the official classicamiga top 100 Amiga games.

DeepBlueSea
13th September 2008, 20:46
I´m wondering which one was released first: Dungeon Master or Bloodwych?

Greets
DBS

Buleste
13th September 2008, 21:27
If you check on our main site we have Dungeon Master released in 1988 and Bloodwych in 1989. Here. (http://www.classicamiga.com/component/option,com_jreviews/task,listcategory/section,9/cat,132/dir,1/Itemid,96/)

Cortona
14th September 2008, 16:10
I remember Dungeon Master being out on the Atari ST for quite a while before it came to the Amiga, which is probably the best thing you could say about the ST! (Oooh, still bitter after all these years.)

I think my favourite game has to be Gods. That said, I also spent a hell of a long time playing Faerie Tale Adventure, getting nowhere, and ...Deserts I and II. But Gods wins overall. Just the best, most atmospheric, arse-kickingest Amiga game. Even works on a 1200, although the music goes to c*ck a bit.

Harrison
15th September 2008, 13:54
Using the WHDLoad installer for Gods it works perfectly, including music, on an A1200. :)

Dungeon Master was indeed released on the ST quite some time before the Amiga version, and the ST version was actually better! And I actually played it and completed it on an ST, and not an Amiga! (closet ST user before an Amiga owner!).

Another game that was also better on the ST than the Amiga was Captain Blood. I mentioned this in another thread. Madly the audio was a lot better. The Jean Michelle Jarre Soundtrack used clearer samples, and the alien speech when you have conversations on planets is completely missing from the Amiga version. Very strange considering the Amiga should have been able to improve on the ST version, not make it worse. Bodged conversion if ever there was one.

Cortona
15th September 2008, 21:16
Yes, there were some shockingly bad conversions, in the early days especially. Developers would release a game for the ST and port it straight over to Amiga without improving it whatsoever. Of course now I can't think of any examples! Leathernecks, Karate Kid, Garrison... I'm sure there were many 16-colour, gnat-farts-for-sound-effects releases, you'll have to help me out here, chaps.

Harrison
15th September 2008, 23:03
At least normally the Amiga versions that were direct ports of ST games would end up looking identical. But in the case of Captain Blood, for the converted Amiga release to end up missing some of the important audio, and for the rest to be inferior is just really bad and completely mad.

tammyfoster
24th December 2010, 18:16
My most favourties Amiga games of all time are as following:
Speedball II
Star Wars
Stunt Car Racer
Shadow of the Beast
Robin Hood
Sensible Soccer\SWOS
Settlers
Shadow of the Beast

Menace
26th December 2010, 17:14
The $1M question on every forum...:)

Cybercon III
Elite
James Pond
James Pond II :Robocod
Formula One Grand Prix
IK+
Alien Breed
Dungeon Master
Jimmy Whites
Stunt Car Racer
Flashback
Turrican
Turrican II
Starglider 2
Test Drive
Test Drive II
Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge
Speedball 2
R-type
Carrier Command

Harrison
26th December 2010, 21:06
Great selection of some of the classic early games from the Amiga era. :)