PDA

View Full Version : I'll buy my PS3 next this weekend... question

Tiago
13th August 2010, 15:58
Hi everyone,
I'll buy my PS3 next this weekend... :D
apart from gaming and films on blueray, what else can i do with it?

I know actual PS3 cannot use linux like the old ones :( ....

so, how can i interact with my PC?
can i connect them by wireless? can i watch a divx in ps3? Or do i have to put the divx in my pc and bypass it to the ps3?

Demon Cleaner
13th August 2010, 16:39
DivX and mp4 are natively supported by the PS3, so you can stream them form an external HDD.

You can use wireless connection, although that is never recommended.

Best to stream music, videos and photos would be to use a media server (PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)) on the PC, and stream to the PS3, that's how I do it, and it works just fine.

Tiago
14th August 2010, 01:02
not recommended wireless? Why? security reasons?

It is reads divx, can i order to play a movie from the laptop (wireless)?

Harrison
14th August 2010, 02:56
I would say to avoid wireless more for the inconsistent file transfer speeds compared to a wired network.

Demon Cleaner
14th August 2010, 12:43
I would say to avoid wireless more for the inconsistent file transfer speeds compared to a wired network.

Exactly, could make you problems streaming a movie or music, I guess for photos it'll be fine.

Submeg
15th August 2010, 13:33
Hi everyone,
I'll buy my PS3 next this weekend... :D

I need to do that as well...mine died. :(

Tiago
15th August 2010, 14:37
Finally i got my PS3 !!!

all tests so far are ok

games: are ok, sound and image

USB: is ok (but dont have subtiles in divx)

media center ok:
donwload PS3 media server for laptop and works fine, photos and mp3 work ok with wirelessbut movies are a bit slow with "small jumps". But i was expecting this.

must try blueray now.

Any way to put some emulatores in my ps3? Amiga/atari/spectrum ?

Harrison
15th August 2010, 18:45
Emulation was only possible on the old 60GB PS3's with Linux. At the moment it is still not possible to load homebrew/unsigned code on the PS3, which means emulation.

Someone has hacked the PS3 OS and gained direct access to the hardware, but I've not heard any further progress.