PDA

View Full Version : UAE4Droid - Amiga Emulator for Android based mobiles!

Harrison
24th June 2010, 10:32
UAE4Droid is a recently ported version of UAE4All to Android.

Current release is v0.98.1 - 6/6/2010.

Download from here (http://www.androidzoom.com/android_games/arcade_and_action/uae4droid_bzmu.html).

This means finally you will be able to play your favourite Amiga games on your mobile! :D

This was originally ported in a single day by someone called shagrath (http://uk.androlib.com/android.developer.shagrath-Cqm.aspx). Original announcement can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=604529). Originally it was stated he was not going to be supporting it, so future development looked slim, but due to the response and interest the activity in the linked announcement thread is showing fast development and bug fixes, with quite a few versions released since the beginning of the year.

It supports sound and touch screen controls too.

Does anyone have an Android mobile to test this out on?

Some videos showing this working:

Spaceballs (a classic demo, showing this emulator does work!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEFK4Ttktw

Project X (forward video to about 2:10 to see game play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=412vjD4Ydds

Turrican (very blurry video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7tKCmmTTg

Android is looking like quite an impressive mobile OS. Lots of emulators are appearing, and all seem to be working quite well. C64, Spectrum, Amiga... tempting to get one!

outlawal2
24th June 2010, 13:53
There wouldn't happen to be an Amiga emulator for the Iphone / Ipad would there? (I don't have the IPAD, but it would be sweet to be able to run Amiga apps on my iphone.. ) And maybe someday when the prices drop to about $50 I will buy an IPAD as well...

Harrison
24th June 2010, 14:07
Emulation is a problem on the iPhone because of the strict restrictions Apple place on the development of any software for their mobile platform.

There is a C64 emulator, and I think it is still available, and I'm sure I remember the same team behind that one have already created an Amiga emulator for the iPhone. However, I think there could be some issues with an Amiga emulator due to the requirement for it to be provided in the Apple App store, which would be a problem for kickstart distribution.

Lots of rumours around though, so one could still appear.

Remember however that Amiga games could be a bit restricted by a touch screen only device. Especially action games designed for joysticks. But that effects all emulators on any touch screen device.

FatAgnus
1st September 2010, 08:47
Hello there!

Does anyone of you have the apk for this emulator?
My Android Device(Archos 5 IT - Android 1.6) does not have access to the android market and because of this i cannot download the emulator :/

It would be really nice when someone can give me a link to the apk, or upoad it somewhere.

I hope this request is not illegal or something seeing this software is free i don`t think this is a bad request.

Tiago
18th May 2011, 13:54
I try it yesterday, with my Sansung Galaxy Ace,
UAE4Droid works only with Kicks 2.0x .... i cant get to work 1.3 or 3.x ....
some games work, others don't.

any one did it with 1.3 or 3.x ??

spooky2k8
26th May 2011, 09:04
got it runnin 1.3 rom and 2.0 rom on a500 iconia tab its awesome im very impressed, 3.0rom just remained on black screen tho

Tiago
27th May 2011, 09:47
Hi spookysk8,
any special setting for the 1.3 rom ?? I cant put that one working.

coze
28th May 2011, 10:45
I am not sure, but I remember something like UAEDroid not liking 256 K roms, and you need a 512 K one (simply the 1.3 ROM joined with itself)

nevermailer
26th July 2011, 06:58
Hi everyone,

i am using UAE4Droid v0.99 on a Xperia Play (kickstart ROM 1.3)

i am having problems loading some (actually a lot of) Amiga demos, after selecting the ADF file and resetting it just shows me the empty workbench screen. The ADF doesnt load at all.. does anyone else has this problem as well? Demos with trackloaders do seem to work, but any discimage without a trackloader won't start.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Tiago
26th July 2011, 09:28
Hello, wellkome to the forum!!

I have a Galaxy Ace with Android 2.1 with UAE4DROID 0.99.
The Rom i found to be more stable is 2.04. I am able to run a lot of games and demos.
almost all demos work fine, at least they start, some of them are a bit slow but they run.
State of the art as example starts very nice, then after 30 seconds it goes a bit slow for 10 seconds then resumes at normal speed.
Last tiem i tried i was not able to run kick 1.3, dont know why....
give it a try to 2.04.

Sephiroth81
26th October 2011, 15:08
I'm desperate for a solution to a big problem with UAE4Droid.....hopefully someone here knows!?!

Ok, so I have an Xperia Play, and running the latest version of UAE4Droid.....however, on a few two player+ games, there seems to be an absolutely massive flaw with the controls, whereby if you hit the fire button, it was start a two player game.

This is basically making those games unplayable. Take Nitro for example, a superb racing game. Use it on UAE4Droid and its utterly useless - two players come up, start the game, and player 2 is rendered useless. Even worse for a game like Midnight Resistance as again, it runs it as two player, and its a scrolling game, and won't move unless the second player is moving!!!!

Its hugely frustrating, as the emulator appears to run fairly effectively, with good speed, low sound glitches (a slight delay perhaps, but not hugely problematic) and relatively compatible.

Does anyone have a fix/workaround/solution? I've tried a couple of things with the pad physical control settings but still no joy. Wondering if other Android users are getting the same issues? Be it on another device or the Xperia Play?

Please respond, its heartbreaking that its not working properly!!! Nitro is one of my favourite games!!!

Tiago
26th October 2011, 15:39
Hi,
i also have UAE4Droid, and i was able to play just a few games. Many of them dont run, or the controls are impossible to use...
In some cases i found that 2 keys at same time are quite difficult, so almost impossible to play. But there are games that i can play,
but never notice that problem.

Sephiroth81
26th October 2011, 15:58
Hi,
i also have UAE4Droid, and i was able to play just a few games. Many of them dont run, or the controls are impossible to use...
In some cases i found that 2 keys at same time are quite difficult, so almost impossible to play. But there are games that i can play,

What Android phone are you running UAE4droid on? Have you tried Nitro or Midnight Resistance? If not, please could you try for me (pretty please!) and see if you also get similar issues.

I was wondering if it was an Xperia Play issue as it has a full hardware keyboard, but sounds like it could be generally uae4droid.

Harrison
26th October 2011, 16:39
I've also got an Xperia Play and have had similar mixed success with different games. I've not tried Nitro yet so will give it a try when i get chance and let you know how it runs.

Have you also tried any other emulators on your Play yet? MAME4Droid is brilliant and fully supports the MAME4ALL rom set. Also SNesoid and Gensoid are good. And N64oid really impressed me by how well it emulated N64 games. My favourite at the moment is FPse, which is much better than psx4droid and runs everything perfectly I've thrown at it so far.

Sephiroth81
26th October 2011, 16:48
I've also got an Xperia Play and have had similar mixed success with different games. I've not tried Nitro yet so will give it a try when i get chance and let you know how it runs.

Have you also tried any other emulators on your Play yet? MAME4Droid is brilliant and fully supports the MAME4ALL rom set. Also SNesoid and Gensoid are good. And N64oid really impressed me by how well it emulated N64 games. My favourite at the moment is FPse, which is much better than psx4droid and runs everything perfectly I've thrown at it so far.

Absolutely - MAME4Droid, SNESoid, NESoid, GBA, Megadrive, Master System. All work really well, although need to download more MAME roms, as always found them fiddly to run and configure.

N64 emulation i've seen on youtube with mixed success.....i'm a bit of a perfectionist though, and the glitches would irritate me! The Wii runs N64 games the best, so i stick to my N64 kicks on that.

FPse? Is there any way i can get this emulator without having to pay for it? Is it easy to set up? I have loads of PSX Isos as i run them as eboots on the PSP (which is arguably the best PSX emulator of all!).

Disappointed with the C64 emulator though - seems to run poorly, and why can't you remove the virtual onscreen keys on the XP? Seems odd. UAE4Droid would be good if this two player issue didn't come about.....so if you COULD test it, i would be eternally grateful!

Tiago
26th October 2011, 17:51
Hi,

What Android phone are you running UAE4droid on? Have you tried Nitro or Midnight Resistance? If not, please could you try for me (pretty please!) and see if you also get similar issues.

I was wondering if it was an Xperia Play issue as it has a full hardware keyboard, but sounds like it could be generally uae4droid.

Ok, i will try it, let you now after.

Sephiroth81
26th October 2011, 20:29
Hi,

Ok, i will try it, let you now after.

Thanks Tiago - appreciate your help.

I'm hoping that my issue can be solved - it seems ridiculous to be honest that this one has slipped through the net. Is there any way I can directly contract the UAE4Droid developers?

Harrison
27th October 2011, 14:54
FPse? Is there any way i can get this emulator without having to pay for it? Is it easy to set up? I have loads of PSX Isos as i run them as eboots on the PSP (which is arguably the best PSX emulator of all!).

I initially obtained an APK for FPse to try it out, as like you I didn't want to buy something I had never seen or tried first. It definitely runs much better than PSX4Droid and has a lot more configurations available, and runs much better out of the box. The version I obtained wasn't the latest one, and whilst it emulated everything I tried perfectly it had an issue with keymapping on the Xperia Play. So I bit the bullet and updated FPse to the full paid version and this fixed that issue, plus as it was a much newer version so added a more polished interface and more advanced features.

You can read my full post about it here:

http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/showthread.php/4799-FPse-(PSX-emulator)-and-PocketISO

I will PM you about the APK

Tiago
28th October 2011, 00:02
Sephiroth81,
i tested both games you wanted, and it happends the same with me, he allways starts in 2 player mode.
Nitro says in screen, that 2 joysticks are playing, i try to start as keyboard but i was not able to do it, always 2 player mode in both games.... quite strange...

I can only run games as kick 2.04.... 1.3 or 3.1 dont work with me... dont know why.

Sephiroth81
29th October 2011, 15:17
Sephiroth81,
i tested both games you wanted, and it happends the same with me, he allways starts in 2 player mode.
Nitro says in screen, that 2 joysticks are playing, i try to start as keyboard but i was not able to do it, always 2 player mode in both games.... quite strange...

I can only run games as kick 2.04.... 1.3 or 3.1 dont work with me... dont know why.

Thanks for trying Tiago. Its a pretty big flaw to be honest, and I would like to get in touch with the developer of UAE4Droid to alert them to it, so it can be rectified. I'm sure its not a difficult fix.

Anyone have an email address or contact webform i can send feedback to the UAE4Droid team??

As for kickstart - i thought it only ran A500 kickstart software, ie 1.3. Guess its worth trialling and downloading a few.

Tiago
3rd January 2012, 15:49
I gave un update to my Galaxy Ace, from android 2.2.1 to 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
It's a bit faster, battery gives me more time,
and in uae4droid, i can now use kick3.0, that i was not able to run in 2.2.1.
still not able to run 3.1...

Any new emulator for android? Harrison, you post some time ago a new Amiga emultor, but as i remember didn't had sound...
any news from it?

Harrison
3rd January 2012, 17:19
I've not tried it since an initial look. Will see if there have been any updates when i get chance later in the week. ;)

iggypop37
1st July 2012, 11:42
trying this on a samsung galaxy tab with ks 2.04. very nice

v85rawdeal
11th July 2012, 19:23
And currently, at the moment, there are a few of us looking at getting Amiga emulation considered as an add-on for this new console

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Demon Cleaner
9th July 2013, 13:22
Runs fine on my JXD 7300 consoles, with KS2.04, only thing that bothers me, is that it doesn't play archived games, they have to be in .adf format, which unfortunately is always 880kB per file. I'm using UAE4Droid 1.13, the newest version, any ideas when it's gonna support .zip files like the other UAE versions?

Harrison
9th July 2013, 14:56
That definitely is a bad restriction. Zip has to be supported or you can end up wasting a lot of space. Although, is ADZ supported? This is basically a zipped adf, but with its extension changed to adz, and most Amiga emulators directly support it.

Demon Cleaner
9th July 2013, 15:32
Didn't try yet?

Harrison
10th July 2013, 00:06
No, I've not had much time yet.

Mostly been playing around with my Mega Everdrive lately when i get some spare time as I never owned a Megadrive and it is so cool being able to run everything ever released on the real hardware. :)