PDA

View Full Version : Shall I buy a PSP?

Demon Cleaner
28th February 2007, 22:26
I've seen that the price is now at 200€ (130£), and I really don't know if I should buy one or not. I will not need really need it, because I know, it will lie around after 2 days. But there have been some cool games and RPGs for it lately, that I thought, perhaps... And of course there's the possibility of emulation, which I also don't need, but perhaps...

So what's your opinion guys?

J T
28th February 2007, 23:06
Well, I'm a fan of my DS + flashcart, but if you want a PSP then I'll say waht I say to most things....

"Yeah, go on then, give it a go. It'll be fine"

So yeah, uh, buy one, or better yet a DSLite. Or both.

Now that sounds even better, get both :lol:

Submeg
28th February 2007, 23:11
Hmm, unless you want a specific game (eg I bought mine for MGS: Ac!d 1 and 2) And you dont have a PS2, I would get one. Otherwise its just a mini PS2

Demon Cleaner
28th February 2007, 23:37
So yeah, uh, buy one, or better yet a DSLite. Or both.So vote for yes, I want to see the results and perhaps get one then.

I have all consoles but no handhelds yet, so that is perhaps an issue. Maybe I'm getting both, DS and PSP, who knows, as there are some nice games from both out there.

Submeg
28th February 2007, 23:41
I have the DS and I say that it is awesome! So cool and different, just like the Wii

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2007, 00:02
How do you find these skins?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/pspskin2.jpg

Harrison
1st March 2007, 00:19
I say you should definitely get a PSP! But you knew I was going to say that I expect. ;)

Nice skin indeed.

BTW, if you do purchase one make sure you have an easy upgrade path to put the custom Dark_AleX 3.03 OE-C firmware on it to unlock its true potential (don't upgrade to the newer 3.10 OE-A2 though as it has issues).

If you were going to buy a new PSP then it will most likely come with a firmware between 2.60 and 2.81, in which case you would need to update it to the official 3.03 firmware, and then use a copy of the original unpatched GTA:LCS game and then it is easy to downgrade/upgrade to the custom firmware. The problem is locating an unpatched copy of the game.

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2007, 00:25
But you knew I was going to say that I expect.Strangely I really expected that.

BTW, if you do purchase one make sure you have an easy upgrade pathWhat do you mean by easy upgrade path? And you surely know that I'm gonna buy it to upgrade, and not let the existing fw on it, as this is the main reason I would buy one.

Harrison
1st March 2007, 03:21
I basically meant, make sure you buy a copy of GTA: Liberty City Stories, or can get hold of a copy as it is the only way to upgrade to the latest custom firmware. And the version of the game you will need is the original unpatched version. There are two. The original contained a 2.0 firmware upgrade, whereas the newer patched version contains a 2.6 firmware upgrade. The box and packaging look identical on both versions, but you can identify the older unpatched version by looking at the disc. If the code on the disc says 00151 then it is the version you need, but if it says 00151#2 then this is the patched version and cannot be used to upgrade to the custom firmware.

Vangar
1st March 2007, 04:54
Also, PSP has an Amiga Emulator that is starting to get really good. Mwahahaha.

Harrison
1st March 2007, 11:15
Yep, as shown in my signature ;)

Plus loads of others. Also the ability to play all PSX games perfectly is a huge bonus. All those lovely PSX RPGs in your hand, along with all the NES, SNES, Genesis etc RPGs and other games.

Oh and don't forget there is a PSP version of PES too!

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2007, 11:23
There are several online shops where you can buy a PSP plus upgrade to the latest fw version for 25€ more, so I wouldn't have to buy the original.

Harrison
1st March 2007, 12:31
That's not a bad additional price to pay for the custom firmware to be pre-installed.

Although having the game disc does give the option of downgrading back to 1.5 if you ever needed and the game might be found much cheaper than the 25 you would pay for the predone upgrade.

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2007, 15:17
and the game might be found much cheaper than the 25 you would pay for the predone upgrade.Ok, you're right, but as you said that there are 2 versions of the game, and only one works fine, how am I supposed to get the right one? And you don't need the game for every PSP to downgrade if I'm right, most PSP are downgradable without it.

Some other cool mods.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/skull2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/skull1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/dragon.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/metal.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/josei.jpg

Harrison
1st March 2007, 15:38
Wow, I like some of those. Are they transfer mods? or are they custom painted onto the PSP?

Yes, it is true that you would need to find the correct version of the game. If you were purchasing secondhand then you should be able to ask the store to inspect the actual disc prior to purchase, and then you could check the serial number on the disc to make sure it doesn't have the #2 on the end. Or you could buy via ebay, although sellers have got wise to the disc being sort after so have increased their prices to £20+

As for downgrading without this method, you would need to find a PSP with firmware of 2.80 or older. Anything newer will require the GTA exploit.

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2007, 15:48
Are they transfer mods? or are they custom painted onto the PSP?Transfer mods, found at eBay. Oz just found some cool faceplates, a ferrari red and a sunny yellow one. They even come with the colored buttons, very nice. But they cost 50$. But you know that I want a yellow one, and these faceplates seem to be good quality.

Take a look for yourself --> http://www.e-linksoft.com/asterix.htm

Harrison
1st March 2007, 15:53
Those do look really good quality. And the yellow one does actually look pretty good. A yellow Ferrari one would be even better.

Could be a pain to install though as I assume they replace the standard PSP case completely which involves dismantling the PSP, and I've heard the PSP buttons are a bitch to get back together properly, especially the square button as it is so close to the screen.

J T
1st March 2007, 17:14
Those coloured face plates are pretty neat, but the transfers really don't look very good in my eyes. Too complicated and over fussy, spoiling the reasonably nice clean smooth lines of the PSP. Plus I bet they look a bit pants if not applied absolutely perfectly.

Stick to the subtle mods :thumbs:

Also, this PSP modding malarky sounds rather complicated and involved - is it actually that hard (in reality)?

v85rawdeal
1st March 2007, 19:04
I basically meant, make sure you buy a copy of GTA: Liberty City Stories, or can get hold of a copy as it is the only way to upgrade to the latest custom firmware. And the version of the game you will need is the original unpatched version. There are two. The original contained a 2.0 firmware upgrade, whereas the newer patched version contains a 2.6 firmware upgrade. The box and packaging look identical on both versions, but you can identify the older unpatched version by looking at the disc. If the code on the disc says 00151 then it is the version you need, but if it says 00151#2 then this is the patched version and cannot be used to upgrade to the custom firmware.

Thanks for that information, Harrison, that has just made things a lot easier for me. Just checked my copy of LCS (which I had pre-ordered) and as I thought, I have the unpatched version.... Of course, this makes me wonder what the patched version has different.

I recommend the PSP because it is SO many consoles all rolled into one, although still struggling to get N64 emulation working properly. But, again, thanks for the info. Will put that to great use.

rayzorblue
1st March 2007, 19:51
Hmm i would think about it i mean if u have a PS2 you probably wont play the PSP much unless you do a lot of gaming on the move, my friend got one and he never plays it he says the games are the same as PS2 so their is no point unless he travels but then he drives, i told him to get a DS because you get a different gaming experience than you do with a static console.

Submeg
1st March 2007, 22:17
Hmm i would think about it i mean if u have a PS2 you probably wont play the PSP much unless you do a lot of gaming on the move, my friend got one and he never plays it he says the games are the same as PS2 so their is no point unless he travels but then he drives, i told him to get a DS because you get a different gaming experience than you do with a static console.

My point exactly, the DS is so different, so its worth the buy. As I have a PS2, I just use that, no need for a PSP. The only reason I have one is because I wanted to get specific games and have ever single system to run them.

Harrison
2nd March 2007, 00:05
Thanks for that information, Harrison, that has just made things a lot easier for me. Just checked my copy of LCS (which I had pre-ordered) and as I thought, I have the unpatched version.... Of course, this makes me wonder what the patched version has different.

The difference with the actual game is nothing as far as how the game plays, they are identical. The actual difference is that the original contained a backdoor in the save game loading code which allows hackers to exploit it and instead of the game loading a save game file they can trick it into running unsigned code. The patched version "fixed" this so it couldn't be exploited and unsigned code would not run.

Do you actually need this exploit to hack your PSP v85rawdeal? It is only needed if your PSP has firmware 2.81 or newer on it. For these PSPs they need to up updated to the 3.03 official sony firmware, then the GTA exploit is run to downgrade the PSP to firmware 1.5. Once this is done it is easy to either run homebrew and emulation as it is with 1.5, or better still upgrade to the custom 3.03 OE-C firmware.

If you, or anyone else needs a run through guide on how to do all of this ask and I will post one.

Harrison
2nd March 2007, 00:09

My point exactly, the DS is so different, so its worth the buy. As I have a PS2, I just use that, no need for a PSP. The only reason I have one is because I wanted to get specific games and have ever single system to run them.

I would also agree that the two handheld consoles are completely different and so are both worth purchasing as they provide completely different gaming experiences and not many games that are on both platforms.

I do disagree regarding the PSP not being worth a purchase if you have a PS2, because the PSP does enjoy a lot of unique releases not seen on the PS2, plus it has advantages over the PS2 in regard to network multiplayer gaming via Wi-Fi and the internet. Also don't forget the PS3 integration with the PSP that some PS3 games will utilise during PS3 gaming, if you are looking to buy a PS3 in the future.

Demon Cleaner
5th March 2007, 17:29
Hm, it stands 5-3. Going to reconsider the whole.

Sharingan
26th August 2007, 10:31
"Buy a PSP, you will." -Yoda

Harrison
26th August 2007, 11:41
And do you know what? He is seriously considering it now. :thumbs:

FOL
26th August 2007, 11:44
And do you know what? He is seriously considering it now. :thumbs:

I would to, been trying to get my sister to buy 1 now, as it can be pandora'ed ;)

Sharingan
26th August 2007, 12:28
WTH though, there are six people who voted against him buying a PSP. Clearly, this is conspiracy by the government.

FOL
26th August 2007, 12:43
WTH though, there are six people who voted against him buying a PSP. Clearly, this is conspiracy by the government.

*FOL looks for his admins controls* damn cant edit vote, ;)

AlexJ
26th August 2007, 18:42
I have to say, I've been mighty impressed with mine in the first few days of having it. I was a bit skeptical considering how much I used my GBC after the Pokemon craze died out (hardly at all) but the PSP is far more capable as a games console. The GBC was probably comparable to the NES (but with a crap screen) but the N64 was current at it's release time. The PSP on the other hand is superior to the PS1 and not too far behind the PS2. Being able to have music,videos and a fairly decent (well better than a phone) webbrowser are nice extras as well.

Harrison
26th August 2007, 19:26
And not forgetting emulators and the ability to run PS1 games. ;)

FOL
27th August 2007, 11:02
And not forgetting emulators and the ability to run PS1 games. ;)

Aye, PSP all the way. Im still tempted to buy a GP2x, but after looking at the new 1 (with touch screen), I dont think so, as the new 1 has no advantages over old 1. Only difference is the dpad and touch screen. They made a mistake in not upping the cpu speed.

Demon Cleaner
27th August 2007, 12:18
I still have to wait until the guy gets the replacement stick for the PSP, the offer still stands. So if he's still selling it, I'll buy it. But I think it will only be another toy in my collection that will barely be used.

FOL
27th August 2007, 12:26
Well its the same for me in a way, I very rarely play my PSP games. Im always playing PSPUAE, lol.

Harrison
27th August 2007, 12:40
In contrast I play PSP games on my PSP all the time.

Currently I'm working my way through Final Fantasy 1 and really enjoying playing it again. The only infuriating thing I had somehow forgotten is how annoying the game is when travelling over land or water, with random battles popping up every few seconds! It's still great fun though, and every battle means more gil and experience towards the next level. And it's not so bad once you start gaining "attack all foe" spells, so you can wipe out whole groups of enemies in one go which speeds things up and stops the random battles being quite as annoying.

Demon Cleaner
27th August 2007, 12:57
Currently I'm working my way through Final Fantasy 1 and really enjoying playing it again.Did the par files work? So I can also d/l it.

Harrison
27th August 2007, 13:22
Luckily I didn't need to use the Par files to reconstruct the parts. The game ISO you included with them worked fine as it was. Not sure why some of my original rar files were corrupted.