PDA

View Full Version : Help with Winuae Elite save crash

spenoultrasonics
30th April 2010, 16:10
Hey guys n' gals,

I am no computer expert so please excuse any noob terms!

I am using Winuae 1.4.2a (have tried many versions) and can play Elite fine. I have the Elite.adf mounted in the DF0 and the custom save disk in DF1, but when i save in game it crashes, any fixes? :hmmm:

Cheers

Pete

PS: I have tried installing Winuae 2.10, but when i loads there are only the boarder images, not the active content of the game. Installed latest DirectX etc, but no joy either there.

Harrison
30th April 2010, 16:55
Is this the original Elite version, Elite Plus, or Frontier: Elite 2?

I can't remember for sure, but Elite might only support one drive. Therefore when you wish to save in the game, try pressing F12, and ejecting the game ADF from DF0 and putting your save game adf in DF0. Then once saved press F12 again and swap them back.

Also, what setup are you using to play the game? Kickstart version, chip and fast ram?

If you haven't tried this setup, from the quick start page of the WinUAE properties select A500 common setup, which uses Kickstart 1.3 and 512KB chip/512KB fast ram. See if that works.

Hope that helps.

If not let us know what happens and we can go from there.

If all else fails you can email the ADF you are using and I will test it from here for you and let you know a working solution.

Merlin
30th April 2010, 19:20
I think Elite can be installed on the hard drive, so maybe putting it on dh0: and using df0: as the save disk might work.

Dragging the icon to a folder should works to install it on dh0: - I know that works on a real Amiga.

Buleste
30th April 2010, 19:30
As Merlin said why not create a hard disk and install WHDLoad and use their install of Elite and give those Thargoids hell.

spenoultrasonics
1st May 2010, 02:26
Hey guys,

Thanks so much fore the great replies

Harrison - Thanks for the great detailed reply. I had all those settings, re-checked them and did the F12 eject option, but with no success, it still crashed when switching between.

Merlin - When i go to add a hard disk Winuae it errors saying "No hard disks were detected that were either empty or RDB-partioned". I have found out what an RBD partition is, but i am not sure how to get this going on my PC. Is there a program i can run to get the partition happening?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help

Pete

Harrison
1st May 2010, 09:18
That is only if you are adding a read Amiga HDD. What you want to do is either create a hardfile, which is a virtual Amiga HDD WinUAE creates as a large file on your HDD, or you can use any directory on your PC as an Amiga HDD.

The last is the easiest option. Just create a new directory somewhere on your PC. Then in WinUAE go to the harddrives tab and add that directory as a HDD. Once that is done put a Workbench ADF in the DF0 drive and boot the emulator into Workbench.

Once in there you should see an icon for the HDD/directory and you can use this like a real HDD. Now put the Elite ADF in the drive and try installing the game to the HDD/directory.

spenoultrasonics
2nd May 2010, 14:01
Hey Harrison,

Got all that working, thanks mate

The only thing i can't do (and google can't answer it for me either) is how do I install the elite.adf to the hard drive in the workbench screen?

I have tried to drag and drop it into the HDD/directory on my PC, but it errors

Cheers in advance

Pete

Merlin
2nd May 2010, 14:24
Do you see an Elite icon when you open the disk in Workbench? If so, just copy and paste it to a folder on the HD.

spenoultrasonics
2nd May 2010, 23:44
Hey Merlin,

Yeah i tried all that and it errored, will give it all a go again and see what I can come up with

Cheers :)

spenoultrasonics
3rd May 2010, 11:07
Ok guys,

I am so close now, got all of the above sorted and it can copy/paste etc.

I am getting an error saying the disk copy failue due to the size of the elite.adf.

Is there an easy way to compress this file to transfer successfully?

Thanks again, i am a super noob :)

Pete

Buleste
3rd May 2010, 17:24
Download and install WHDLoad and then unzip this (http://www.whdownload.com/games/Pack-E-2007-01-30/Elite_v1.0.zip) for Elite 1.0 or this (http://www.whdownload.com/games/Update-2008-02-05/Elite_v2.0_1572.zip) for Elite 2.0 or this (http://www.whdownload.com/games/Pack-E-2007-01-30/EliteAdvanced_v1.2.zip) for Elite Advanced.