PDA

View Full Version : PS3 closed platform

Demon Cleaner
30th March 2010, 10:25
Sony wants to make the PS3 a closed platform, and therefore will deactivate the OtherOS feature in their next update (3.21) dated for the 1st of april for all consoles.

Open platform is history.

For persons that don't want to update, they will remove PSN, games downloads and possibly even the opportunity to watch BDs.

To provide a more secure system for those users who are enjoying games and other entertainment content on the PS3 system and also to protect the intellectual property of the content offered on the PS3 system, we have decided to delete the feature to address security vulnerabilities of the system. We do not comment on other details since this is a security related issue, however we are continually looking to improve the security level.

Harrison
30th March 2010, 12:07
Interesting. So they must have some information that someone has finally been able to hack into the core of the PS3 system via the OtherOS feature. Something I thought would be the way someone would manage it right from the start.

The PS3 slim doesn't have this feature anyway, so it is only going to effect those who paid much more and purchased the original Phat PS3. While I accept that if people are hacking into the PS3 and gaining access to the firmware, with the intent (obviously) of creating custom firmware so copied games will run, then I accept that Sony are doing this to protect their platform and the software developers. However, equally this is also destroying a key feature of the original PS3 which was enjoyed by many. I for one would be very annoyed.

However, the older firmware's that do include the OtherOS feature exist. And in the future if the hackers do eventually work out how to create custom firmware for the PS3, then they will be able to build a CFW with the feature back in. Look at the PSP CFW development. They have been able to build features from the original PSP 1.5 firmware even into the latest versions, and no effect compatibility. It will happen for the PS3, but I can imagine it will take more time. The system and its OS/firmware is still proving to be very secure and robust, even with someone having already been able to gain access to the core hardware level.

Phantom
30th March 2010, 13:05
I really don't care, as I never installed another OS there. PS3 is only for games for me.

For other stuff, we have other machines to do our job. :thumbs:

Harrison
30th March 2010, 13:24
True, but the problem is that Sony gave this feature right from the beginning, and are only now removing it after years of it being present. And restricting those who want to keep the feature is not good customer service.

Some do use the PS3 for Linux as well as Gaming.

Teho
30th March 2010, 15:13
I did try the feature as you know, but quickly found that to me it wasn't much use. I sit in the same place and use the same screen when I use my PC anyway, which was much faster even then. And then later when I tried updating the Linux install to a newer version which then failed to boot at all, I never used it again. So I won't miss it, personally. But it was a key feature of the system, and removing features that work is always a step in the wrong direction no matter how useless they are in my opinion.