PDA

View Full Version : The first Amiga game you purchased?

Harrison
11th March 2010, 22:30
Rather than the first Amiga game you played, which might have been bundled with your Amiga, or something a friend owned, what was the first commercial Amiga game you actually went out and purchased?

I can't think what mine is at the moment. I will have to look through my games and try to remember.

Phantom
11th March 2010, 22:37
Purchased? That's a long story. All of them were pirated copies (yes, to find an original game for Amiga in Greece was a little bit impossible here). :(

But when I visited London in 1994, I bought my first Amiga games. Those were:

Arcade Pool
Seek & Destroy
James Pond 3

If gifts are counting in, then my first game was European Dreams; a compilation of 4 games.

Tiago
11th March 2010, 23:00
The oldest i remember .... i only bought 3 or 4 back in the days... maybe tv sports basketball ... :unsure:

Buleste
12th March 2010, 08:22
First Amiga game I owned was Sleepwalker because it came with my brand new shiny Miggy.

Harrison
12th March 2010, 08:43
Ah, but that was bundled. What about purchased separately?

Shoonay
12th March 2010, 09:26
Amiga: Centurion & Pinball Dreams (copies ;))
PSX: Adidas Power Soccer (original)
PC: Settlers 3 PL (original)

Demon Cleaner
12th March 2010, 11:22
I only purchased one game for the Amiga, which was Kick Off: Player Manager. I had to go to Germany to buy the game, as in Luxembourg there were almost no computer shops at that time, and they also didn't have a lot of software. And that was during all the time I had an Amiga my only original game.

Graham Humphrey
12th March 2010, 11:28
Think it was Cloud Kingdoms for me, on budget. Wasn't me who went and got it though, my dad did or someone like that - I was only five when I got my first Amiga.

Buleste
12th March 2010, 12:03
Ah, but that was bundled. What about purchased separately?

I don't know. My Alzhiemers is too far gone ;). Probably Elite. I know my first pirated game was Overkill and I was amazed by the AGA graphics.

Phantom
12th March 2010, 12:06
You had pirated games in UK? I thought UK was the source of original Amiga games back then.:unsure:

Teho
12th March 2010, 13:08
I hardly bought any games back in the day, due to not having any money of my own and due to my parents looking so much down on the gaming hobby I could just forget about asking for money for games. Or at least, I never had the nerve to. So when I finally did have money to buy some, I bought a bunch at once:

Bloodnet
Cannon Fodder
Heimdall 2
Lemmings 2 The Tribes
Power Drive
Rise of... Rise of The... I can't even say it.
Wolfchild

And for years these were the only originals I had, along with Duck Tales and Dragons Lair: Escape From Singe's Castle which both came bundled with the Amiga.

Buleste
12th March 2010, 15:56
You had pirated games in UK? I thought UK was the source of original Amiga games back then.:unsure:

Whilst it's true that a lot of the games were written and produced in the UK, because people were used to copying tapes from the 8 bit days there was a lot of piracy about although not as much as there is now.

Phantom
12th March 2010, 17:18
Imagine then my friend, why in Greece the pirated copies are at their peak. No proper software dealers, meant that was very rare to find an original Amiga game to buy those days, so you didn't have so many options left. :(

Harrison
13th March 2010, 00:32
Pirated Amiga games were definitely everywhere in the UK, as much as anywhere. In fact, because the root source of most of the games was the UK, a lot of the cracking groups and their distributors were UK based too. With a lot of the distributors still being at school or college, they were the source of a lot of the games for the other kids they went to school with.

Most of my copied games came from one person/source back then and he provided me with 100's of games. We would regularly play snooker and pool most Fridays and he would bring along the latest releases he had been given that week and lend them to me to try and copy any I liked. It was great.

However, that didn't stop be buying original games. If a game was really good and I played it a lot then I still purchased a copy as I wanted the original disks, manual and box.

Phantom
13th March 2010, 11:03
However, that didn't stop be buying original games. If a game was really good and I played it a lot then I still purchased a copy as I wanted the original disks, manual and box.

We couldn't do that either. :(

StuKeith
14th March 2010, 07:25
Not sure, I remeber buying worms from boots, possibley Rainbow Islands but that may have been spectrum. I used to buy all my games for the Amiga from boots in them days.

And maybe one or two from *Cough* *Escom*

Tiago
14th March 2010, 09:58
Rise of... Rise of The... I can't even say it.

:lol: :lol:

Harrison
16th March 2010, 11:32
@Teho. Admit it. Rise of the Robots. Your favourite Amiga game! You should be proud of such a purchase! :lol:

Phantom
16th March 2010, 13:29
@ Teho

Rise of the Dragon maybe? :D

Buleste
16th March 2010, 13:46
Rise Of the Bile???? Rise of the Floaters????;)

outlawal2
16th March 2010, 14:06
I am from the US, and I remember when I was really into Amigas, I had a friend of mine that was a "runner". He bought a US Robotics Dual Standard 28000 Modem (O holy Crap it was the STUFF in those days.. Friggin laughable today.. lol) and he was working with some folks in the UK and bringing in several hundred games / programs a month... All cracked...

So with that in mind I would say that Fighter Duel may have been the first game I ever purchased for the Amiga..

Teho
16th March 2010, 16:46
@Teho. Admit it. Rise of the Robots. Your favourite Amiga game! You should be proud of such a purchase! :lol:

:D Riiight...

Would you believe it? I got a small load of Amiga originals off an auction a while back, and in it was another copy of Rise of the Robots. The same lousy ECS version I allready have. So I now have two complete copies of that damn game. Someone up there really hates me.

Buleste
16th March 2010, 17:53
You must love ROTR is you have 2 ECS versions. 1 for playing and one for when you wear the other out.

Zirkie
16th March 2010, 22:08
First one I played was Pang or Golden Axe. I think it was the latter. Great back then. Pang I still play frequently when I got time to kill. :lol: Only owned pirate copies of pirated copies. LOL.

Sharingan
19th April 2010, 22:29
What's this Rise of the Robots I keep hearing about, and why does Teho have an original copy of it?

Iīm ashamed to admit I didnīt have many purchased Amiga games at all, mainly because I didnīt have much money at the time, and any pocket money I did get my grubby hands on went into purchasing empty floppy discs :thumbs:

I ultimately did have 2 or 3 originals, picked up from the bargain bin, so that doesnīt really count. They were crappy games anyway.

Phantom
19th April 2010, 23:27
Please name them. :)

woody.cool
19th April 2010, 23:38
iirc, the first game I bought was Qwak ..... f*****g brilliant game :)

Sharingan
20th April 2010, 18:17

Ah, better not. In fact, they were so obscure that I kind of forgot. One of them was definitely Zynaps, though, which actually wasn't that crap at all...

ArcadeGuru
20th April 2010, 20:23
The first game I bought was Walker which was awesome but sooooo difficult. I do have to mention Batman the Movie, didn't buy it but got it with the Batman pack. I absolutly loved it and it has to be my best Amiga game ever :D

AndyLandy
20th April 2010, 20:30
For me, I think the first Amiga game I ever bought myself, that wasn't either bundled, or a gift that came with the Amiga was probably Zool, which I bought at the Games Master Live event in Birmingham, some time in 1992. Cor! That brings back memories!

Phantom
20th April 2010, 23:01

Ah, better not. In fact, they were so obscure that I kind of forgot. One of them was definitely Zynaps, though, which actually wasn't that crap at all...

Well, Zynaps was a great shoot' em up. Although I never had it on my Amiga, I had played it quite a lot on my Amstrad CPC 6128 system.

Cortona
21st April 2010, 12:28
The Bard's Tale. I feel so old...

Demon Cleaner
21st April 2010, 13:27
The Bard's Tale. I feel so old...I always loved the Bard's Tale games :thumbs:

Phantom
21st April 2010, 13:59
Yes. that's right. And the three of them are classics now (well, for me at least). :)

optiguy
24th April 2010, 13:18
My first purchase was Arcticfox, just a day or two after I got my a1000 in 86, wow I'm old

Wots
28th April 2010, 15:01
APB :)

amigaoldskool
2nd May 2010, 17:33
first game was Zany Golf wicked game

J Stanley
14th October 2010, 17:37
Kick off and Batman the Movie, not bad for first purchases eh? :p Oh this is my first post!

happydevas
15th December 2010, 12:25
This anime game i had purchased was a Dragon ball. I like the graphics as well the weapon in this game .

Harrison
16th December 2010, 01:31
anime game? We are talking about first "Amiga" game here..

Demon Cleaner
16th December 2010, 13:02
:) sounds similar.

Menace
26th December 2010, 17:23
First game i purchased i think was the same i loaded up first of all which was `Sidewinder`

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ktuai1i0hfU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ktuai1i0hfU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Harrison
26th December 2010, 21:14
Sidewinder was definitely one of the classic shoot 'em ups in the golden era of the A500. I personally enjoyed Swiv more. :)

Lord Riton
9th March 2011, 20:56
My first amiga game i bought separatly, hmm, i really don't remember (i had a lot of originals), but the first game i had that came bundled with my Amiga 500 in 1987 was "Pinball Wizard" ! I had a C64 befor my Amiga, and soon when the music started i was stunned in front of my BIG cathodic TV i had that time. Just incredible ! phenomenal ! the music from that game, and to think it was one of the first Amiga games that existed :)

here is a link where you can immediatly listen to the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJI6glaBTqA&feature=player_detailpage

Edit: It's a bit less impressive now, on my PC, but it was really a lot on my TV :)