PDA

View Full Version : Stage Two: Top 100 Voting

Harrison
16th February 2010, 15:59
After the stage one nominations all of the games from the submitted lists were combined to create one huge list containing every game members submitted into this survey.

From this list the number of times each game was nominated determined its position in the nominations, and from these the top 300 or so games were taken as the final nominated games ready for the next stage.

Now on to Stage Two of the competition.

Stage Two sees the voting to create the final Top 100 games list. Using the finalised list of games nominated in stage one, the stage 2 survey asks everyone to select a Top 10 from these games and to submit their personal Top 10 Amiga games.

Once everyone has submitted their Top 10 these will then be used to create the final Top 100.

To do this the games are awarded points depending on their position in each submitted Top 10, with 10 points for a game in first position, going down to 1 point for a game in 10th position. This way the games are weighted so that those voted for higher up each persons Top 10 gets more importance than those closer to the bottom.

Harrison
16th February 2010, 16:10
See http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3931 for the official announcement of Stage 2 and the opening of the survey.

The survey itself can be reached at http://top100amigagames.classicemu.com/

Have fun!

Harrison
16th February 2010, 16:12
I'm pleased to announce that already we have had 100 people submit their Top 10 games for this survey. This is proving to be quite popular and already we are seeing some interesting voting.

One game is clearly in the lead at the moment, but there are a few catching up slowly, so the final order is far from concluded yet.

If you haven't yet voted please do. The more submitted Top 10's we get the better the results will be.

Puni/Void
18th February 2010, 08:43
Have now submitted my list over my ten favourite Amiga games of all time. It wasn't an easy decision, as there are so many great titles to choose from. Will be exciting to see the final list when all votes have been counted.

Harrison
22nd February 2010, 16:44
I'm very pleased to say that we have had a lot of interest in this survey.

So far we have had 579 people register to take part in the survey, and out of these 372 people have completed the survey and submitted their answers.

:thumbs:

Tiago
22nd February 2010, 16:46
Cool,
how long are you going to keep it? if you still have people doing i guess you will let it go for a while...

Harrison
22nd February 2010, 22:34
At least until the beginning of March.

Harrison
14th May 2011, 00:27
Finally an update! Today I finally sorted out the results and can now finally announce that I have the finished Top 100 games list ready. :)

There are some surprises in the final 100 games, and also in their order. Plus the winning 1st place game was a little unexpected, but very deserving of the position, and there are some brilliant games just below it in the order. Equally there have been some great games that haven't made the final 100 list, but with so many great games to choose from it was to be expected.

When can we see the results?

I will publish the official Top 100 list next week, then you will all get a chance to see what made it, and what didn't, and what the number one game is. Anyone care to guess?

I will also publish the full rundown list containing the 300+ games so you can where everything came and the number of votes they each received, just so you know where your personal favourites actually ended up in the order.

How was the final order determined?

This sounds slightly complicated, but was fairly easy to work out using Excel. Taking each person's top 10, the games in their list were each awarded points based on their position in the list, so the game in first place received 10 points, in second place 9 points etc all the way down to 1 point for 10th position. The points were then all added together for each game to give it a final total points score. This determined the final order of the games.

How many people voted?

The final number of people who took part in the survey totalled 1030 people. I was secretly hoping to hit the magic 1000 taking part so the survey had a good weight of votes behind it, meaning a good cross section of the retro fanbase took part, so this is brilliant and I'm extremely happy.

Tiago
15th May 2011, 21:27
Good news !

Demon Cleaner
17th May 2011, 13:25
1030 people??

Harrison
17th May 2011, 13:33
Yep, that's right. 1030 people took part in the survey, and because I made everyone register before they could vote it meant I could verify they were all unique. It also meant those trying to mess up the survey could not as the email verification put a stop to the bogus registrations, of which they were many. The voters come from a large range of locations and sites, including German, Polish and UK based Amiga communities, as I advertised the survey on a lot of different forums last year, with a lot of positive feedback and interest.

If you remember, the survey also collected some personal information from those taking part, including the communities they came from, their age, location and the Amiga's they had owned. I will also be putting this information together and publishing it as I think it is a great snapshot of the Amiga community they still exists today, and really shows it isn't dead.

poundrick
8th August 2011, 09:10
Where is the finished list please?

Harrison
8th August 2011, 15:45
Due to time I've not been able to publish it. Hopefully very soon. I don't just want to post the list, but instead make it a nice top 100 with people able to view images and leave comments, which is what has delayed it.

poundrick
8th August 2011, 17:39
I imagine it's quite a task to put it present it the way you want, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it's completion.

Puni/Void
10th August 2011, 07:10
Good luck, Harrison! :) Looking forward to see the list!

Demon Cleaner
10th August 2011, 15:28
Can we somehow help you out?

Harrison
10th August 2011, 22:18
Well, I will need to create some screenshots for some of them as we are missing them from the main site. Would also work to add screenshots missing on the site at the same time.

If you can help with this I can work out a list of games we need screenshots for so you can help with them. That is really the bit slowing this down. Mainly I will only need title screen and a couple of in game shots for each. I also wanted to write something about each game. Just one paragraph. Maybe I should post the final list in the staff area, then everyone could help work on the content we need for the final top 100. Basically a paragraph about each entry, plus some screenshots. Once we have all that content then making and publishing the completed list would be easy for me to do in a few hours.

Puni/Void
11th August 2011, 07:15
Sounds like a good plan. Having the list available for reading in the staff area would make it easier to help out. :)

Well, I will need to create some screenshots for some of them as we are missing them from the main site. Would also work to add screenshots missing on the site at the same time.

If you can help with this I can work out a list of games we need screenshots for so you can help with them. That is really the bit slowing this down. Mainly I will only need title screen and a couple of in game shots for each. I also wanted to write something about each game. Just one paragraph. Maybe I should post the final list in the staff area, then everyone could help work on the content we need for the final top 100. Basically a paragraph about each entry, plus some screenshots. Once we have all that content then making and publishing the completed list would be easy for me to do in a few hours.

Harrison
12th August 2011, 14:33
I will sort it out later tonight and post it up. Then as and when someone can work on the content for a specific entry the list can be marked off so everyone knows what is left to do.

If we could get this all done next week then I could launch the final top 100 the following week at the end of August, which would be brilliant.

Phantom
29th August 2011, 15:14
Waiting for the final results. :cool:

Harrison
30th August 2011, 20:38
August has been quite a busy month and not been home much to do this. I am however able to get some more work done on this over the rest of this week. Will begin by getting the final top 100 list posted for staff to access, to help get together the final media needed for the publication of the results.

steven86
22nd November 2012, 17:02
my all time fav is project x and defender of the crown