PDA

View Full Version : Music Owl City

Stephen Coates
23rd January 2010, 22:14
Anyone heard any of Owl City's music? Owl City is an American guy called Adam Young. His single 'Fireflies' seems to be number 2 in both the proper charts (aka Radio 1) and the Big Top 40 (aka iTunes).

Makes a bit of a change from most of the music which somehow tends to end up in the charts these days.

I bought a copy of the album 'Ocean Eyes' which arrived this morning.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Owl-city-ocean-eyes-2009.jpg

I do like the album artwork. Disk one is made of white plastic and disk two is made of a cool transparent plastic :). It came with a code to get a free MP3 download of the album from the record manufactureres website, so I have an MP3 version as well. I can take advantage of the Vault if anyone wants to hear it.

I am not one for reviewing music so I will just say that a) Adam can sing well, b) The music is cool and c) It isn't boring.

burns flipper
6th April 2010, 14:37
I have been listening to this album recently. I like it. They do some great things with harmony and syncopation, and the songs are all upbeat. I like the clever use of instruments too, so you have some fairly simple synth stuff but then an acoustic guitar or piano pops in for a solo. The songs are all strong on melody, and the vocals blend in as part of the whole arrangement. And as a nice change, there isn't really any filler on this album. I would label this album as 'pleasant'.

J T
7th April 2010, 13:52
More like Owl Shi...

Actually, I quite like the 'fireflies' track, but wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it. I haven't listened to the album but I'm imagining it's an OK sort of background muzak.

outlawal2
7th April 2010, 14:54
Sorry guys but I absolutely HATE it... To each his own I guess, but definitely not for me... (personally I thought that the only reason they ever got any national attention was because Taylor Swift mentioned in an interview that she listened to them... I think Owl City should write that sweet girl a BIG FAT CHECK because he/they would have remained in obscurity if it was not for her comments..)

Buleste
7th April 2010, 15:00
Fireflies was different at first now it's just annoying candy pop crap. Not my cup of cyanide.

Harrison
7th April 2010, 15:54
I might have heard something from them, but I don't know the name, so can't comment. Tend to avoid most chart stuff.

burns flipper
23rd June 2011, 09:48
This album was on every morning as I got ready for work for about a year. Disc 2 is also good. I got some of their other tracks as well which were okay, although 'Ocen Eyes' is more polished.

I'm now listening to Breanne Duren, the girl who sings on some of the tracks. She has incredible vocal control. Her first album was a soft one, mainly her and piano and a bit of percussion, kind of like you'd listen to in a smokey quiet jazz club somewhere, or a quiet night in with the gf, but she has a new EP out (most of which is now on youtube) which people are saying is good. 'Daydreams' is nice, which was a free track she put on her myspace.

Harrison
23rd June 2011, 12:23
I just had a quick listen to her via Spotify and I have to say I don't like her voice. Way to American high pitched whine that would fit a cheesy US teen romcom genre for my liking.

Have you tried Rose Elinor Dougall? Much more my taste.

burns flipper
9th December 2011, 09:23
I got myself Breanne's new EP as a Christmas present. It's more upbeat than the first album which was a bit darker in music style. The EP was £3.50 off Amazon, digital download. Amazing that you can just download music now and start playing it instantly, for so cheap.

There's 5 tracks on there, they're all good and my favourite is "Summer Days". She was doing a world tour with Owl City this year. I've seen a few live Owl City clips on youtube, I think I prefer the album versions :dry: He should stay in his room and work on his music!

Harrison
9th December 2011, 13:00
Amazing that you can just download music now and start playing it instantly, for so cheap.

Indeed... although it is of course possible to download the music even cheaper and listen to it instantly! ;)