PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!!

Buleste
2nd November 2009, 13:55
There are some issues of old C64 magazines on alt.binaries.emulators.cbm but I don't know how to download them. Can anyone help?? There are also some Miggy mags there as well.

Harrison
2nd November 2009, 15:21
It is a binary news group, so you need to access it using a newsgroup reader that supports binary file downloads. You can used Microsoft Outlook Express for this.

Just navigate to the newsgroup in Outlook Express, select all of the parts of the download you wish to get, and right click. You should have the option to download and combine the parts. It should now download each part and once all complete will combine the download into the final file.

Buleste
2nd November 2009, 15:33
Just tried but as I've not used Outlook for about 10 years I may be doing it wrong but basically I got a message saying the server could not be found.

Harrison
2nd November 2009, 16:40
You can access the newsgroup you want to download the files from?

Alternatively you could try http://xnews.newsguy.com/

burns flipper
3rd November 2009, 12:22
You need to connect to a Usenet server, hence the "server not found" message.

If your ISP doesn't provide one, go to http://www.newshosting.com/ and sign up to get access to their news server.

Harrison
3rd November 2009, 13:48
Ah, I assumed he already was as you can't actually see and read newsgroups normally unless you are viewing them through a newsreader such as Outlook Express, or the newer version Windows Mail.

As Burns said, most ISPs provide free newsgroup server access as part of your account as have a look on your ISPs website for details on how to connect (which newsgroup servers to setup an account through). It is best if possible to go through your own ISPs newsgroup servers as it will be much faster as most pre-cache the current group content they hold.

Buleste
3rd November 2009, 20:43
Looked through my ISP's page found out how to do it and I'm now starting to try and figure out what to do.

Demon Cleaner
3rd November 2009, 22:10
I just checked alt.binaries.emulators.cbm and found several magazines:

- 64 issues of Family Computing (pdf)
- 9 issues of Compute! (pdf)
- 24 C64 2009 Scene Releases (which are zips of .prg files)

That's everything they have.

EDIT: just checked again, and there's a lot more:

- Hell of a lot of the scene releases
- 17 issues of Micro Adventurer
- 5 issues of The Amiga Informer
- 77 issues of Commodore User
- 36 issues of Commodore Disk User
- 60 issues of Commodore Format
- 83 issues of Your Commodore UK Magazine
- 14 issues of Your 64 magazine
- Commodore Misc Book Flood
- 6 issues of Amiga Active
- Some issues of Amazing Computing Tech Amiga
- Amiga World Tech Journal

Harrison
3rd November 2009, 23:47
Sounds good. I will to take a look myself.

demusse
4th November 2009, 09:12
Opera has a newsreader built in...

and this could come in handy http://www.just4today.net/

Harrison
4th November 2009, 11:06
That just4today looks interesting. So it is completely free, but with a daily changing login username and password? I'm going to have to try that out.

demusse
4th November 2009, 13:58
free and speeds are reasonable, retention is much more then 10 days

and maybe a small tip: if you can't connect it sometimes helps to configure this server to max nr. connections, stop/start your newsreader and set the connections back to 2.

Demon Cleaner
4th November 2009, 14:18
I could put the stuff in one of my queues, but everything together will be a lot!!

Merlin
11th November 2009, 15:37
@ Buleste

Get hold of a program called Grabit and set it up to see your ISP's newsgroup server. Once you've downloaded the newgroup list, find the particular alt.binaries group you need, double-click the file and sit back as it downloads.

It's very simple to configure and use.