PDA

View Full Version : Minimig...??

outlawal2
2nd November 2009, 01:37
Still waiting for my flickerfixer from Amikit... Said it showed up in NY on the 18th. but I still haven't seen it.. <sigh>

Anyway, so while I was checking on that I noticed that they offer a Minimig.. Looks promising..

Anyone have one?
A few questions about it...

Can I use it with a standard VGA flat screen?
Can I load my copy of Amiga OS 3.5 on it? (What about 3.9 - 4.2?)
Any networking options for it?

Pls advise...

Buleste
2nd November 2009, 09:20
AFAIK you can use it on a VGA monitor (although I coulg be wrong).
NO you cannot use OS3.5 as it only emulates a A500 with 68000 processor and 3.5 requires a 68020
I don't know if there are networking options, if there is it would be through the serial port.

Harrison
2nd November 2009, 11:31
Yes, it does have a standard VGA output, so should run perfectly fine with a flat panel LCD monitor.

And as Buleste (http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/member.php?u=133) said, it can't run newer Amiga OS's because it only emulated the original 68000 CPU and OCS chipset found in the original Amiga range.

The current version also doesn't have any standard networking capabilities built in.

There is also an updated version of the MiniMig v1, called the v2, developed by Illuwaters, and based on the original design. Adding things like faster ram and composite and Svideo output to give a true retro video out if wished for that true retro feel. http://www.illuwatar.se/project_pages/minimig2/minimig.htm

There are rumours of an updated version in progress that will allow it to be connected to a network so swapping of flash memories would be eliminated. And also possible development of faster CPU, ECS and AGA chipsets, hard drive, ethernet etc and even possibly a small ARM RISC-Core for enhanced AROS functionality.

Other projects also still in development including Natami, which is aiming to create a true new Amiga following the original developments in progress at the time Commodore went bust. If they can pull it off it will be amazing, but they have already been working on it for a long time without any actual physical proof shown to the world that anything yet exists.

Nostromo
27th November 2009, 06:44
True it does have a VGA connector, but there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work on your LCD panel. The reason for this is that a monitor to work with minimig has to support a minimum of 30khz and 50hz, and most new TFTs do not.