PDA

View Full Version : Shin Megami Tensei: Persona PSP

Harrison
26th September 2009, 07:56
The original 1996 Playstation classic RPG game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, which started the whole series, has been updated and about to be re-released for the PSP.

Among the updates include an expanded soundtrack, a redesigned interface, new animated cutscenes, and a vastly improved localization.

It is a traditional oldschool style JRPG with turn based isometric combat, 3D FPS style dungeon exploration and 2D anime style character design.

Compared to the recent Persona 3 and 4 releases it is quite primitive, with a lot of the game spent exploring 3D dungeons in a first person perspective style game mode. This can admittedly get a bit tedious, and the random combat encounters happen too often and can become frustrating. However, as the original game in the series, if you have never played it I think it is worth checking out. And if you haven't played any of the Persona games then this is your opportunity to start from the beginning and then progress to the current Persona 3 and 4 releases. Going from the later games to this one however could badly disappoint because other than the updates it is still an early Playstation 1 game from 1996 and doesn't contain the dynamics, content, detailed story or other more detailed areas of the later games.

If you don't know what the Persona series is about, they initially set the player in a high school style environment where you get to learn how to control and use personae, or your inner demons. So that during fights you can bring forth your Personae to fight for you.

All of the games in the series have so far followed this format. Starting off exploring a school, getting to know characters and skills, and then eventually needed to leave the safety of the school due to a world threatening event, to venture out and save the world.

Demon Cleaner
29th September 2009, 05:07
On my PSP I still have Persona 2 installed, PSX version. I tested every Persona game, but didn't really play one. But I like the setting a lot, and the last 2 games are really very good, everyone with an "older" console should consider to play one of them, they won't regret. Of course only if they like RPGs ;)