PDA

View Full Version : Demul - Dreamcast emulator

Harrison
10th September 2009, 15:36
http://demul.emulation64.com/

Has anyone tried this Dreamcast emulator yet?

It isn't one I've tried myself yet, but noticed a new torrent set for it on pleasuredome posted the other day, so I was wondering how good it was.

The site mentioned loading games from disc, so I'm wondering it it only boots copied games or original GD-Roms. I imagine only CD-R copies as GD-Roms cannot normally be read in a standard drive.

Demon Cleaner
10th September 2009, 16:14
I have the set, but didn't try the emulator yet. I also have the Makaron emulator for Naomi GD Roms which I didn't test yet. And Nuon for Nuance. But tbh, I'm a bit confused about what is what, as it seems that the Roms are very similar, I'm a bit confused, also because I didn't follow or test the whole thing yet.

Harrison
10th September 2009, 17:15
Same here. I'm a bit confused by the differences too.

Harrison
20th July 2015, 16:19
Resurrecting a very old thread here, but I decided I might take another look at Dreamcast emulation over the summer.

This was triggered because I just noticed that Demul is still in active development and just seem a new release. The site has a lot in Russian, especially the FAQ section, so that doesn't help, but it looks like more games are now emulated well, if not perfectly. It seems that even an i7 at 4.5GHz still has trouble maintaining 60Hz refresh rate and when it drops the audio emulation is affected and causes strange sound a bit like a chipmunk as the audio obviously also slows down with the framerate.

Worth a try though.

I need to download the latest Demul set from PD to give it a go. Might also try the other DC emulators still being used. Not all still in development though. Not sure if NullDC is still active.

Obviously owning a real Dreamcast I can just play the real thing, and also run CD-Rs on it, so not really limited.. but it is still nice to explore emulated versions.