PDA

View Full Version : C64 storage

Buleste
9th September 2009, 09:42
I've just got a C64C and rather than getting loads of tapes and then waiting for the damn things to load I want to use a more modern method. Which of the following can anyone recommend?

IDE64
MMC64/Replay
1541U

Harrison
9th September 2009, 11:57
Demon Cleaner is the man to ask about this as I think he recently purchased a memory card unit for the C64.

Also have a look at http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SD2IEC.

Demon Cleaner
9th September 2009, 13:01
I bought the 1541-III some time ago, and it's great. Have a look at Jan Derogee's homepage: http://jderogee.tripod.com/

The 1541 Ultimate is a bit expensive, and I wanted to get one some time ago, but eventually didn't, and finally ended up with a 1541-III.

Here's (http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3259) also an older thread at CA about it.

Buleste
10th September 2009, 08:59
Are 1541-III's still about and can you use games that require multiple disks (i.e Knights Of Legend uses 4 double sided disks so there are 8 disk images + a character disk)?

Also Whilst I'm trying to decide and saving could anyone do me a tape with some games on (especially Elite)? PM me if you can please.

xpect
10th September 2009, 10:44
I've been with a Spanish friend and he has a MMC64 (now MMC replay) and works really well. Easy to set up and use. And he also had a MP3@64 and he played Mp3 from the c64 and was quite amazing has the sound of that thing is really good! :)

Demon Cleaner
10th September 2009, 12:44
Are 1541-III's still about and can you use games that require multiple disks (i.e Knights Of Legend uses 4 double sided disks so there are 8 disk images + a character disk)?You use the 1541-III just like a normal floppy, if you need to swap the disk, you do it in the GUI of the device. The .d64 files are stored on the SD card.

Buleste
11th September 2009, 13:44
I'm not stupid. I know that the d64 files are stored on the SD card. When I'm on about multiple disks I mean games with multiple disk images as I know that some SD devices have had compatibility problems with multiload games and others have a limit on the number of disk images that can be mounted.

However as 1541-III is no longer in production there's no point in me looking for one for a reasonable price.

Also as there is no MMC64/Replay or SD2IEC in stock or available no point in me looking at them either. Looks like I'm saving up for a 1541U and hope they become available for reorder.

Cortona
14th September 2009, 12:37
There are some good things about loading C64 games from tape:

Making a cup of tea
Listening to the loading music
Making music (Thalamus' Mix-E-Loads)
Some tape loaders let you play space invaders
Having time to daydream

On the other hand, I've got Pirates! on tape. My god, you could prepare and eat a three-course meal waiting for that to load. Excruciating.

Buleste
14th September 2009, 15:13
The fun part was when it was delivered there was already a tape in the datasette so I plugged everything in, crossed my fingers that nothing blew up, pressed SHIFT RUN/STOP (god how I missed that), pressed play, went out walked the cat and when I came back several minutes later........ the game had failed to load as the tape heads were dirty. How I missed that feeling of anticipation only to be let down in the end.

I cleaned the tape machine and loaded the tape and I was disappointed to learn it was Out Run. A truly awful conversion.

Cortona
14th September 2009, 19:24
Ha! Outrun was truly dire. The Spectrum version was better.

Anyway, you didn't really expect a 20 year-old tape deck to have clean heads, did you?

Buleste
19th September 2009, 09:02
In a moment of shopping madness I bought a MMC replay. I got it yesterday and have been trying it. So far I have to say I'm saving up for a 1541U.
You can't play games that are on multiple disks and multiload games don't always work. On top of that as far as I can tell the Action Replay software side of things is completely separate from the MMC side so that if you load a game via MMC you cannot then use the Replay software to poke it and if you use the Replay you cannot load anything from the MMC. All in all a very limited use product that is highly flawed.

Buleste
19th September 2009, 16:21
Scratch that I'm not going to get a 1541U as they have a similar problem. I'm going to get myself a 1541 or 1541-II, shit loads of real floppies and transfer any multiload .D64's to floppy. It's cheaper and will probably work.

1980-20..
20th September 2009, 08:07

Anyway, you didn't really expect a 20 year-old tape deck to have clean heads, did you?

wow if the spectrum version is better that game must be truly dire.

Buleste
20th September 2009, 09:02

wow if the spectrum version is better that game must be truly dire.

It's worse than that.

Buleste
24th September 2009, 09:06
For anyone who's interested here's a logo I created for the cartridge case of the MMC Replay.

http://i36.tinypic.com/rw6sjp.jpg

just print it off, cut it out and stick it on to make your MMC Replay look a little smarter.