PDA

View Full Version : Aros Icaros Live OS install in x86 clean HD

Tiago
16th August 2009, 19:22
Hello everyone,
I got a new/old, a Pentium IV 2,6 Ghz with 512mb Ram, i get it from a friend.

I give it a try with Aros Icaros Live OS (1.1.3). Download the iso burn it to a DVD and lets go !!

It's not the final version, and still has some bugs but you can have a good felling.

The DVD is bootable, and it's quite easy to install it. I create two partitions HD0 with 2GB (advice from icaros) and the rest to HD1. The install took about 45 minutes.

After install i was able to open images, PDFs, and with ROMs inserted by cd-rom, i was able to launch workbench 1.3 by Amibridge, not realy an emulation, but something similar(?) a bit difficult to have workbench stable, but it worked, but much less options then UAE, but it half works.

I didn't try internet, i dont have a connection to do it, but will try it later.

So it was very very nice to see a Amiga OS running with no windows or linux, just the OS, i now it is a x86 pc and not a real Amiga, but it works, the felling it's much much better then PC+windows+winuae.

Harrison
8th September 2009, 16:08
It is good to read that you had a positive experience with one of the latest Icaros Desktop Live! AROS discs.

I've not tried AROS since the Icaros pre-configured desktop setups have been available and I'm very eager to try it. I downloaded the latest 1.1.4 Live DVD and have burnt it to disc ready. And I was just checking through the hardware compatibility in the included PDF manual and it looks like I have spare hardware that is fully compatible.

The system I am going to try it on is one of my old PCs I currently don't use. It is a smaller form factor Biostar system that was originally purchased as a barebones system for downloading and emulation. Its specs seem to fit nicely with the AROS requirements.

Athlon XP 3000+
1GB DDR3200 Ram
60GB IDE HDD
nForce 2 chipset - The PDF mentioned nVidia nForce compatibility for networking so fingers crossed.
nForce 2 AC97 audio - It also mentions that many AC97 integrated codecs work, so again fingers crossed. However if that doesn't work I have a couple of spare sound cards that are supported (Soundblaster Live! 5.1 and an Audigy 1 soundcard), so can use one of those instead if needed.
Graphics card - The SFF motherboard has integrated GeForce graphics, but that might not work. In which case I have both an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, and a Radeon 9600 spare so hopefully one of those two AGP cards will work.

The only point I might get stuck is if the integrated networking and audio don't work. I have spare compatible sound cards as already mentioned, and also spare network cards. However this SFF system only has 1 AGP and 1 PCI slot so it would be impossible to add both PCI cards at once. Lets hope that isn't needed, or I will have to dig out one of my other unused PCs and build an AROS PC from that with the compatible hardware I have.

Looking forward to trying this out now. :) Has anyone else recently tried the Icaros Desktop distros of AROS?