PDA

View Full Version : Asus Laptop....DEAD.

Submeg
3rd August 2009, 07:25
Hey people, I was using my laptop, about to log in, when BANG. The screen went scrambled. I turned it off by holding down the power button and then rebooted it. It then got to the log in screen (in normal windows mode) and I went to log in but the laptop just shut down. I tried to turn it back on, but it would not turn on?!

I did some searching on the net, and people have said, take the battery out, disconnect the power and hold down the power button for 45 seconds. I did that, and hey presto! The laptop is back on! Supposedly it's to do with the CMOS battery? Can anyone explain that to me??

Stephen Coates
3rd August 2009, 09:21
Perhaps if the clock battery is dead to the point where it cannot be recharged, or if it is a dead non-rechargable battery, the laptop might not boot up.

Laptops don't seem to like dead clock batteries. Probably best to just replace it. I don't know what type your perticular laptop will use (a service manual should tell you if you don't know), but they are usually just those small, thin, circular types.

Harrison
3rd August 2009, 16:39
Strange. I've never had a PC (laptop or desktop) not bootable due to the CMOS battery. Which battery did you take out to make it boot? The CMOS clock battery, or the laptops main battery? I have seen such behaviour when a laptop's main battery dies.

Submeg
4th August 2009, 09:05
I took out the main laptop battery

Harrison
4th August 2009, 11:41
So the main battery is to blaim, which is a common fault on all laptops. An old trick that I don't know if it works any more with modern laptop batteries was to put the battery in the freezer for a couple of hours. Seal it into a plastic bag and then stick it in the deep freeze.

I often used to work and get dead batteries working again. Something to do with correcting the chemical imbalance within the battery and returning it to normal. Worth a try if the battery is dead anyway.

Stephen Coates
4th August 2009, 16:42
I did read about that harrison a few years ago and tried it with a couple of laptop batteries. Can't really remember whether it worked or not, but I think it was for NiMH batteries only and that it would either not work or damage lithium batteries. I will have to check that out.

Submeg
5th August 2009, 10:29
Im not sure its dead, I havent even had this laptop for a year??

Demon Cleaner
5th August 2009, 12:14
I have a dead battery for one of my laptops, and I got another one, which unfortunately isn't working 100%. Ok, it's always better than the old one, but still, it only loads until 80% and decreases very fast.

I put the old one in the freezer yesterday to do a test :lol: have to remind me to take it out though.

Harrison
5th August 2009, 13:39
Im not sure its dead, I havent even had this laptop for a year??

That means nothing. Batteries can die at any point in their life. If it is less than a year old it is still covered under warranty so you can get a free replacement.

v85rawdeal
5th August 2009, 17:24
I have a dead battery for one of my laptops, and I got another one, which unfortunately isn't working 100%. Ok, it's always better than the old one, but still, it only loads until 80% and decreases very fast.

I put the old one in the freezer yesterday to do a test :lol: have to remind me to take it out though.

Just don't put in the microwave to defrost it...:firedevil:

Buleste
5th August 2009, 17:44

Just don't put in the microwave to defrost it...:firedevil:

Put it in a friends microwave to defrost it.:flamebounce::rip:

Submeg
5th August 2009, 22:43
The thing is, the battery still holds its charge ok, it doesnt die straight away?

J T
6th August 2009, 18:55
Funnily enough, my PC had started to (from time to time) fail to recognise one or both of the HDDs on POST, or most often would recognise them but not boot up. Fiddling about with the cables and stuff a bit would often sort it out, along with maybe a bit of mucking about in the BIOS with boot priorities and stuff.

The other day it did it again, and I noticed in the BIOS all the dates were wrong and the clock was at 0:00. Swapped the buttone cell battery (for one i'd only just put in the kitchen scales) and it worked. Seems OK so far, let's hope it stays that way.

Oh, it's an ASUS mobo

Harrison
7th August 2009, 01:25
How old was the motherboard JT? Button batteries generally only last 2-3 years in a working system. Much longer in one that isn't used much.

I still don't know why they don't use some form of rechargeable cell for the CMOS, or even flash roms that don't require a continuous power source to hold their data.

J T
7th August 2009, 10:16
It's about 2 and a bit years old, plus however long it was in the warehouse. Looked like a cheapo brand battery anyway, so it's probably done well.

Vangar
8th August 2009, 03:44
The battery is usually a C0 2032 and is easily replaced, if that is ever a problem.

J T
8th August 2009, 20:57
It's CR2032 actually, buddy, but thanks anyway. It's a very common type of battery.

Submeg
11th November 2009, 14:34
An update on the situation...basically, the laptop is a piece of rubbish (never buying an ASs sUcking piece of Shit again) and I'm now forcing myer to cough up with the money they owe me. What should I start looking for in a laptop? I'm looking to use it for music mainly...however I may want to play games on it

Demon Cleaner
11th November 2009, 14:59
So far I'm happy with my Acer Aspire 7735ZG, but I have to admit that I didn't use it that much yet. Gonna buy Windows 7 perhaps now and install it.

Buleste
11th November 2009, 15:37
If you ever get the opportunity avoid Asrock lick the plague (yes I know they are a subsiduary of Asus but with all the good points taken out.) I had a mobo from, then earlier on in the year and it made my 3.4 CPU go at 2.5, it couldn't handle my graphics card so I got another, crapier, graphics card that it could handle and ruined the performance of that and after 2 weeks the mobo died.

Submeg
11th November 2009, 20:51
At this point, I'm looking to get another laptop, so won't have that issue...I don't want to keep updating a PC, everything becomes obsolete so quickly!

Harrison
12th November 2009, 12:17
An update on the situation...basically, the laptop is a piece of rubbish (never buying an ASs sUcking piece of Shit again) and I'm now forcing myer to cough up with the money they owe me. What should I start looking for in a laptop? I'm looking to use it for music mainly...however I may want to play games on it

I used to always like Acer laptops, but recently the specs haven't that great for their price, and the screen resolutions have not been brilliant for the size of LCDs. They are still a good price and fairly reliable though.

But currently I would recommend HP laptops. They have better keyboards, screens and specs for the price compared to most others at the moment.

My Mum had to buy a new laptop last month and I did a lot of searching and looking in stores for her, and finally bought a new HP laptop and it is a great spec for the price. AMD Turion II 2.3GHz dual core CPU, 17" 1600x900 screen, ATI Radeon 4530 512MB GPU, 320GB HDD, Lightscribe DVD-RW, 4GB ram, 1.3MP Webcam, HDMI, Firewire, Bluetooth, WiFi, Windows Vista 64-bit with free upgrade to Win 7 64bit. Costing about £560. The model was a Pavilion DV7-2110sa, which is now replaced with the DV7-3020sa.

A higher up model in the same range adds a blu-ray drive and cost about £670.

Normally I would avoid AMD CPUs in laptops and go for Intel Core 2 Duo, but I've been impressed with these new Turion II processors and they are more than a match for the mobile Intel ones.

Regarding HP/Compaq. I've used many over the years and they have always been really well made and solid. In the past though they have always been more business like that home entertainment in design, but these new ones are very nice. Great screens, lovely piano black glossy cases with metallic inside. Nice keyboards and touch controls above for volume etc. The specs are also great for the price.

If you ever get the opportunity avoid Asrock lick the plague (yes I know they are a subsiduary of Asus but with all the good points taken out.) I had a mobo from, then earlier on in the year and it made my 3.4 CPU go at 2.5, it couldn't handle my graphics card so I got another, crapier, graphics card that it could handle and ruined the performance of that and after 2 weeks the mobo died.

I've got an AsRock motherboard in my emulation PC and have been very happy with it. Great specs for the price. I bought it after my old main system's Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard died after 3 years use, and had all the parts (ram, CPU, GPU etc) from the dead system and decided to resurrect them with a new motherboard, and that system is now my new emulation system. Surprisingly too, for a ASRock board costing under half of the original Asus one it replaced, it actually had some better specs, allowing for much better overclocking, full bandwidth for ram when all 4 sockets are in use, and generally an all round very nice motherboard. Only having 4 SATA sockets is a bit of a limitation, and only 2 PCI slots, but as it has everything already built into the motherboard I can always use one of the PCI slots for an extra SATA card if needed.

I've also used AsRock motherboard to replace dead ones in a few systems I've repaired and not had any returned.

ASRock did used to be very budget originally, but in the last few years they have really stepped up their game and now produce some nice boards at the lower half of the price range.

1980-20..
13th November 2009, 09:14
I also have a compaq laptop similar spec to one harrison mentions not quite as good but it was only £425. I bought the last one in stock and i havent seen this exact set up anywhere else. A quick word of warning about the free upgrade to win 7 its not completeley free hp charge £20 odd quid to ship it, and considering the bloke in the shop told me i would only have to pay £5 for shipping it was a bit anoying.

Harrison
13th November 2009, 13:51
That is true about the Win 7 upgrade. I think it was £27 or something. And you have to go through loads of steps online to verify you are the owner of the laptop and visit a company's site outside of HP to order the upgrade disc and pay the cost.

A bit annoying, but it is still cheaper than buying a full commercial Win 7 upgrade.

1980-20..
13th November 2009, 15:54
True it is still an ok deal and i think there are some hardware companys that are charging more. I just feel the whole win 7 upgrade has been a bit misleading i still dont fully understand the process, but i think im going to bite the bullet and pay the £27 quid. Oh i also forgot to mention in my first thread if battrery life is important regards to purchasing laptop the compaq one that ive got only has two hours life wich i think us a bit poor but i only run i of the mains.

Harrison
14th November 2009, 00:04
These laptops are meant to be desktop replacements though so battery life is never going to be brilliant. Best battery life is the current wave of Atom powered networks, but with small screens and relatively slow CPUs they are only good for internet, email and light office use really.

Submeg
18th November 2009, 06:45
Yep I love the HP, the one I'm typing on now is a HP, and have to say the keyboard is tops. No wear on any of the keys, they sit at a nice height and don't jump out at you and you dont need to smash them to get it to register a press. I think I'm going to stick with HP...just need to decide which one! I have 2000 AUD (£1113.87 ) to play with....

Harrison
18th November 2009, 12:34
Awe! With that kind of budget you should be able to get a nice one. I've seen great specced ones for aroun £800-900 which include decent dedicated 1GB gaming graphics cards, 4GB ram, Win 7, 18" screens, and blu-ray drives. So you should be able to get a very decent HP laptop.

Submeg
21st November 2009, 00:28
Here's hoping...the problem is, the shops in Aus never usually carry many of a particular brand, which makes it annyoing! So I'm gonna hold off...atm I'm still hoping that I get a full refund. It seems that they are going to be bitches about it though :(

Harrison
21st November 2009, 02:14
Can't you order online? Even from HP themselves?

Submeg
21st November 2009, 22:15
I could do that, but atm I need my money first....really hope that they stop being bitches about it.

Submeg
13th December 2009, 13:45
UPDATE: So I actually got a FULL refund! Amazing, only took 7 months! :blink: anyway, I finally had to decide on a laptop...going with the fact that I was using this laptop for purely music, I decided to bite the bullet and go with a Mac. That's right, the guy that hates Macs owns one. Have to say, somethings are better, others are worse, but overall it's just different. Really, that's all it is. I don't mind it, I'm still getting used to it so I'm no pro. I had to wait all day for iTunes to sort out my library from XP so that I didn't lose my plays, ratings and play lists....only took 13 hours :blink:

Harrison
14th December 2009, 14:14
They are nicely designed laptops. I know I go on about not liking Macs, but it is more the over pricing of their hardware that I don't like.

And you can always install XP/Vista or Win 7 on there for a dual boot system, which is the best of both worlds.

Submeg
15th December 2009, 12:01
Yea pricing is a bit wtf but what can I do...I got a pretty good deal, so yea not too upset about it :) Things are a bit all over the place, but I guess, if you were an idiot and knew nothing about computers, this is the best option lol

Harrison
15th December 2009, 12:43
Did you take out an extended warranty with it? I would highly recommend you do.

Apple hardware is fairly robust, without any major hardware failures, but their ports still seem quite fragile compared to PCs. A friend works at an Apple store and he said they get loads of Mac laptops back with USB and network ports that just break and need a new motherboard to fix them. And Apple still have some battery issues, although I think that effect iPods more than laptops.

Submeg
15th December 2009, 22:04
Yep got the extended warranty....very expensive tho! hmm, don't wanna hear that about the USB ports, they are what I will be using the most! It's ok about the battery, this unit will only ever be run off mains, so not too worried about that. Ipods....I wouldn't know, I usually use mine every day in the car so it gets recharged so I don't notice!