PDA

View Full Version : Update! Forum visual update

Harrison
31st July 2009, 03:30
As you no doubt noticed the old banner logo is gone from the top of the forums, and in its place is a version of the button menu system used on the main classicamiga.com site.

I thought it was time to finally get rid of the old logo that had been at the top of classicamiga since 2002.

This new look better joins the main site and the forum together, now being containing the same top level navigation system. This makes it much easier to jump from the forum directly into areas of the main site, and back again to the forum. Making the whole of Classicamiga that bit closer together.

A couple of other small changes are the addition of the copyright bar at the very bottom of the forum pages, and a change to the colour, shading and shadows of the title bars throughout the site.

There is also now a restriction added to the minimum width of the forum. If you try to reduce the width of the browser window now the forum won't continue to shrink with it and become a complete mess. Instead it will stop reducing in width when it reaches the minimum width that can maintain all site structure as it should be. The site will however still expand further for those using larger screens.

There has also been some updating to other template code just to tidy it up.

I hope you like the updates.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2009, 12:06
I like it :thumbs: Can't even remember already how the "old" one looked :lol:

Buleste
31st July 2009, 15:38
Unfortunately the forum will not fit on the screen in ff3 in a 1024x768 screen.

Harrison
31st July 2009, 18:27
Are you still stuck at 1024x768?

Average resolutions are now a bit higher than that, with 1440x900 and 1280x1024 becoming the most common.

The forum does fit on a screen that size, but with the page scrolled slightly right to remove the left-hand blue shadow, which I agree is a bit of a hassle. If I get enough people complaining that it can't be viewed on smaller displays I will have another think about the width of the site.

Buleste
1st August 2009, 09:21
1074 is all my monitor can do and as I can't afford a new one and this one ain't broke (touch wood) it'll have to do until I get a job (and at the moment that should be just about before I'm due to retire) or win the lottery or find a rich widow to exploit for sexual favours.

v85rawdeal
1st August 2009, 17:19
1074 is all my monitor can do and as I can't afford a new one and this one ain't broke (touch wood) it'll have to do until I get a job (and at the moment that should be just about before I'm due to retire) or win the lottery or find a rich widow to exploit for sexual favours.

I TOLD you befire... I am not rich, and I sure ain't no widow;)

Buleste
1st August 2009, 20:30

I TOLD you befire... I am not rich, and I sure ain't no widow;)

I told you before....... You're my biatch until she comes (oooer missus) along.;)

Cortona
2nd August 2009, 08:05
1074 is all my monitor can do and as I can't afford a new one and this one ain't broke (touch wood) it'll have to do until I get a job.

My company recently gave away a bunch of DELL 19" CRT monitors that are capable of up to 1600px. I would've got you one if you wanted, although I don't know what the courier cost would've been to send it to you from Horsham.

I can check to see if they've got any more hanging around if you want.

Tiago
2nd August 2009, 19:05
That was a good move Harrison :)

Stephen Coates
3rd August 2009, 06:10
I used the site on a laptop which does 1024x768.

Fortunately now I have a 21" monitor on my PC I use that at 1280x1024, but when I used the 17" monitor, I used that at 1024x768 as anything higher was a bit too blurry, which didn't do my eyesight any good.

I like the little icons at the top of the page, though the big amiga image will be missed.

Harrison
3rd August 2009, 15:45
I'm thinking of maybe reintroducing a proper thin graphical banner back above the navigation bar. Maybe 1000x250 pixels or there abouts. And I would like to design a few different ones which rotate and load a different one each time you visit. I want some banners that say a bit more about different aspects of the Amiga. Some about the demo scenes, some for the different models of the Amiga, some about games, some about applications. It will be an ongoing thing, and everyone else is free to submit some of their own for inclusion to. As I tried to get everyone to do with the banner designing competition which didn't see puck interest! ;) Hint Hint!

Harrison
5th August 2009, 06:03
I noticed an odd behaviour with the new button bar. In Firefox, with the addon NoScript installed the highlighted "forum" button is shifted over to the left of the other 6 buttons and overlapping the classicamiga logo slightly. If I set NoScript to Allow Scripts Globally then it loads correctly with the highlighted forum button on the right-hand end of the lone of buttons.

Has anyone else encountered this same behaviour?

I'm looking into it, but at the moment can't work out why NoScript is causing it. Anyone got any ideas. The buttons are div containers set to float the right of a parent div container. It has been tested on all other browsers and loads correctly on them, as well as in Firefox without NoScript installed. Very strange.

Demon Cleaner
5th August 2009, 07:10
I don't have NoScript installed, therefore everything seems fine.

Stephen Coates
5th August 2009, 08:19
I havn't used Firefox in quite some time, and have never used NoScript. Am I right in thinking that it will just block Javascript on certain websites?

I have checked this forum in Opera 9 with Javascript on and off and both are fine.

Tiago
5th August 2009, 09:03
I don't have NoScript installed, therefore everything seems fine.

The same with me

Harrison
5th August 2009, 12:34
It definitely is localised to the NoScript Firefox plugin.

It is quite a useful plugin normally and works well in combination with Adblock Plus. It can block Javascript, Java, Flash, Silverlight, thirdparty plugins (quicktime), iframes, object code.. etc which is useful if you don't want loads of flash adverts or videos loading on pages when you just want to read an article.

The problem is, it blocks so many different things that it is hard to know what it is trying to block with the forum button that is causing it to shift it to the left. There is no flash, javascript or other scripts running at all in the menu, it is all done just using xhtml and css. Strange.

Cortona
5th August 2009, 12:52
Maybe NoScripts is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I use FF at work with AdblockPlus and Flashblock and that pretty much filters out annoying ads.

The nice thing about Flashblock is that it leaves the containers in place with a Flash icon in them. You can click in the container to enable the flash if you want.

Harrison
5th August 2009, 12:54
NoScript does the same thing for any flash, silverlight or other embedded content. Just click the icon and the content is loaded. It also blocks PDFs which I find useful as often you follow a link expecting a webpage and end up with a PDF downloading, so blocking it stops it loading and allows you to go back without needing to wait for the PDF to load (or cancelling it which often crashes browsers).

Teho
26th August 2009, 17:47
See, I can't turn my back on this place for even a little while without someone messing. :p

New design looks great, I like it. :)