PDA

View Full Version : RGB to PAL/NTSC adapters @ AUD$30-33 each!

amigamaniac
24th July 2009, 18:37
Hi all,

My RGB to PAL/NTSC adapter project is ready for sale. Full and comprehensive details, including photos are on my website:

http://www.amigamaniac.com

I'm selling them fully assembled from AUD$30 (no connectors), for Amiga & non-Amiga applications, to AUD$33 for a fully assembled and tested unit ready to use on an Amiga - just plug it in!

It outputs both Composite and S-Video.

Harrison
24th July 2009, 19:10
Wow! Very nice indeed. I expect there are lots of Amiga users interested in this.

I am. Just need to check my funds, then might order one myself. :)

Vangar
27th July 2009, 07:01
This is sweet. How long will you be selling these? I definately want to order one when im Back in Australia in December.

amigamaniac
27th July 2009, 15:30
This is sweet. How long will you be selling these? I definately want to order one when im Back in Australia in December.

I'll be making them and selling them as long as people want them ;)

Since they are good for other platforms, like the old neobitz was, there should be a wider market, not just Amiga users :) I don't know how to let them know about it though. I guess I better find some forums for old machines that output RGB and CSYNC or HSYNC and VSYNC :D

Harrison
27th July 2009, 19:18
Wouldn't it require a different connector at the RGB end for other systems?

Have you considered making it a universal connector into the actual unit, and making different adaptor cables so the same unit can be interchanged between systems?

amigamaniac
28th July 2009, 13:05
Wouldn't it require a different connector at the RGB end for other systems?

Have you considered making it a universal connector into the actual unit, and making different adaptor cables so the same unit can be interchanged between systems?

Yep, but by leaving the 23 pin D-Sub off, it leaves the holes available to solder wires too. There's detailed notes about how to use it on my website :)

You mean me make adapter cables for different systems, such as Atari computers? I could add an inline plug or socket onto the PCB design I suppose, for me to make adapters, or others. I'll probably try and sell all of this batch before I bring out another version, if at all. I'll wait and see how sales go first :)

Harrison
28th July 2009, 13:46
I'm positive there is quite a large market for this device.

It is getting harder and harder to get hold of monitors that are capable to running the low resolution signals needed for vintage computers, so users are constantly looking at alternative solutions. For the A1200 an internal flicker fixer is one option, but being expensive these are non viable or just not affordable for many.

RF output, while bad quality, is also going to be a declining option as well, especially in the UK, and already in the US. This is because analogue TV broadcasts have already been switched off in the US, and in some parts of the UK, with all gone in the UK by 2012, meaning only digital TV tuners will be provided in new TV sets. Therefore old games consoles and computers won't be able to use their RF ports. So another output option will be gone.

This leaves the monitor output found on most old systems as the only option, and it is the best option for good quality visuals, so their users need a way to convert that output to be able to run it on a TV. S-Video, composite, and RGB SCART being the three main inputs needed by most users. With HDMI, VGA and DVI being something that is now being talked about, with many wondering if it is possible to convert to those inputs.

Regarding your adapter. Yes, I meant make the unit with a universal connector of some kind on the unit itself, allowing different adapter cables to be plugged in for different systems. The only thing that could cause a problem is that some systems do use different methods of output and wiring is different. Some need inline resisters to get the image right. Therefore adapter cables with the requirements for each system already setup would be a great solution. And you maybe wouldn't even need to invent and test these cables yourself. You could sell the unit and let those in say the ST community build the cables for them.

amigamaniac
6th December 2009, 06:45
@ Harrison

I took your advice onboard, and I have incorporated a plug into my RGB adapter V2.0 :) I'm very excited about the V2.0, and I should have them in stock in less than one month :thumbs:

Here is a picture of the top silkscreen to give you an idea of the new features (there is also some useful info on the bottom silkscreen which is not seen here):

http://www.amigamaniac.com/RGB_A_V_2_0_TOP_SILK.png

Harrison
8th December 2009, 00:09
That is great Nathan. I might be interested in one of these myself once you have them ready.

Keep up the great work. :thumbs:

amigamaniac
24th December 2009, 03:15
Hi all,

I forgot to let everyone on Classic Amiga know that my V2.0 RGB adapters are now listed on my website for sale :) There are some photos of the new adapter, and a little info on the new features of V2.0. I just need to update the technical info page, as the data on there relates to V1.0. It's getting harder to find free time for my 'hobby', between uni commitments and the family :(

www.amigamaniac.com

On a side note, I am looking at making another ROM switcher, one that my take three (or even more!) ROMS/EPROMS. I will announce developments accross forums when I have more to tell...

Harrison
25th December 2009, 12:18
Sounds great.

Would you also be interested in making an Atari ST rom switcher? Not sure how complex that would be though as there are 2 roms involved, like AGA.

amigamaniac
28th December 2009, 02:46
Sounds great.

Would you also be interested in making an Atari ST rom switcher? Not sure how complex that would be though as there are 2 roms involved, like AGA.

I love making hardware, and I will make it for absolutely anything as long as there is a market/buyers/interest :) I would just need to know the specs of the ROMS & their pinouts, and how the ROM socket of the Atari behaves on resetting the machine. I prefer to make ROM switchers that don't require a toggle switch, or a mini-clip that has to be attached to the leg of an IC on a M.B. Drilling a hole in one's Amiga or Atari (or any case) is wrong IMHO.

Two EPROMS is no big deal. I could make a ROM switcher for the 32-Bit Amigas if I wanted to, but there is not much point with WHDLoad etc. Also, the AGA chipset is a problem, even if one were to split a KS 1.3 image over two EPROMS for example, it would still be no good. Although, A1200 users might like to select between KS 3.1 and KS 3.9 or something I suppose :)

Harrison
30th December 2009, 12:05
I have limited knowledge in how the rom sockets behave on resetting the machine. However those on the Atari Forums should know. I will post on there to see how much interest there would be in an STE rom switcher. I know myself I would be interested to boot between 1.6 and 2.06 roms. Not sure if roms earlier than 1.4 would work in an STE, but if they did then I would love to be able to switch between 1.2 and 2.06 as that would give maximum compatibility.