PDA

View Full Version : UAE Wii v3

Demon Cleaner
13th July 2009, 16:32
Next Wii UAE release.

Version 3
* Correct banner showing errors. With this fix, a dialogue box is now opened if kick.rom is missing
* Support Cloanto´s amiga forever ROMs in the default config

Harrison
13th July 2009, 17:19
Has anyone tried the Wii version? And if so how good is it?

Demon Cleaner
13th July 2009, 17:22
Has anyone tried the Wii version? And if so how good is it?Unfortunately I don't have a Wii (yet), but I'm looking forward to buy one, because apparently my girlfriend would be interested. I only would like to buy a prechipped one, any idea where? In Germany it seems that they are not selling them anymore prechipped, which means you buy the Wii and then have to send it to them, they chip it, and then send it back, which I think is a bit of a mess.

Harrison
13th July 2009, 17:46
Wii Softmodding worked perfectly, so there really isn't any need for hardware mod chips.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2009, 15:19
Wii Softmodding worked perfectly, so there really isn't any need for hardware mod chips.Ok, but how? Is this again a pain in the ass procedure, or does it work well without hassling around too much? You know that I'm pro hard mod :)

EDIT: I found now the older thread aboud softmodding, so I guess it's still the same?

Harrison
14th July 2009, 15:34
Yes. I think the softmod software has been improved and newer versions released since then, but it is the same process. Just load it with an SD memory card and away you go.

Zetr0, Sarek and a few others have been successfully using it for some time.

And softmodding a Wii actually for once does have benefits over hardware modding, because the soft mod software adds a new channel for homebrew and this directly links into downloads for Wii emulation and homebrew games and software.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2009, 16:01
Wiikey 2 + installation will cost me 80€.

EDIT: Btw, Twilight Princess costs 60€ here!!

Harrison
14th July 2009, 16:42
I don't think you need Twilight Princess or any other original game any longerto soft mod a Wii. Have a look at this great guide at http://wiiguide.co.cc/ to find out more and read through the process.

Demon Cleaner
30th July 2009, 13:34
Ok, I tested Wii UAE yesterday.

I have to say that it works quite good. I tried out with an A500 configuration, and also tested the A1200 with the game Benefactor, which works perfectly.

On the A500 config I tested Neuromancer, which is an adventure, and you can use the WiiMote to control your character, which is quite unusual but fun. Only downside is, which of course is with every console emulator, if you need to press one or several keys, you have to open the menu, go to the keyboard option, chose the button you wanna press, leave the menu, aso... Of course you can also use a keyboard with the Wii.

Here's (wiibrew.org/wiki/UAE_Wii) a nice guide how to use the controls with different peripherals.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to read small text, f.ex. when booting a game, being in CLI or in Workbench. But I think that's also normal because you have that big screen, and using the YUV cables for the Wii could probably improve visuals, I'm only using the AV.

I'm looking forward to further releases, eager to see what they will still improve in the upcoming months. But until now I must say, keep up the good work :thumbs:

Harrison
30th July 2009, 16:25
That is great news that it works quite well already. It hasn't been out that long either so it is promising for the future.

Have you read anything about continued development of Wii UAE? What they still want to add or improve?

Demon Cleaner
30th July 2009, 16:34
Have you read anything about continued development of Wii UAE? What they still want to add or improve?No, not at all, don't know if they continue or not? But to be honest, I won't use it anyway, there's so many reasons I still prefer WinUAE to any console port, so I really don't care, only tested this to see how good/bad it works.

Harrison
30th July 2009, 16:37
I'm actually the same. I prefer to use emulators that emulate computer on a PC as you have full control and functionality.

However, it is good to be able to emulate other consoles on a console. Gives more of the feel of the original system playing it on a TV with a controller.

Regarding the Wii, are going to buy the classic controller for it? Or have you tried Gamecube controllers on it yet?

Demon Cleaner
30th July 2009, 18:08
Regarding the Wii, are going to buy the classic controller for it? Or have you tried Gamecube controllers on it yet?I dunno. I already had a look at it on Amazon, but I don't think I will get one, because, do I really need it? I'm not gonna play retro stuff on the Wii anyways. I used the GC controller once when testing a GC backup, that was it, worked perfectly though.

Harrison
30th July 2009, 23:02
What about downloadable content from the Wii arcade (or whatever they call it)? That has loads of remade retro games, plus loads of new ones. That generally uses the classic controller or a GC pad.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2009, 01:29
What about downloadable content from the Wii arcade (or whatever they call it)? That has loads of remade retro games, plus loads of new ones. That generally uses the classic controller or a GC pad.I downloaded a torrent containing every DLC out at the moment for the Wii from BG and it's over 10GB big.

You can hold the WiiMote horizontally and it is like you would have a classic controller, the way you also play Amiga games or Mario Kart f.ex. Perhaps I will buy one next time I order something, as it's not that expensive. But I don't think I will need it.