PDA

View Full Version : Burns Flipper from longest journey?

Tiago
26th June 2009, 12:36
Burns?
Did you get your nickname from the game "The Longest Jouney"?
I am playing it know and there is a character with that name.

By the way, the game is excellent.

burns flipper
26th June 2009, 14:41
Yes. Yes I did. The man doing the voice acting did such a great job he became my favourite character of my favourite game.

I'm glad you're playing it, it's an incredible game. It even gets better the second time through, and if you're versed in things like mythology and the art of storytelling you get even more out of it by seeing the way the whole thing is put together. Ragnar Tornquist, the writer, knows all about storytelling and this shows in Dreamfall too. He's even given seminars on storytelling through video games. As Cortez says, mystery is everything...

Tiago
26th June 2009, 16:47
Yes the game is very good. I am loving it. It is the best adventure game i ever played !!!!

I love games with history. It remindes me a bit the MYST games, that atmosphere....

i think i am at 25% of the game.

The reviews where the best, it was the most scored adventure game i ever found and when i read a bit about it i new i had to try it. I buy it thru steam, it was very cheap.

what about the sequel "Dreamfall"? The reviews are not so good, they say it has a lot of storyline and "chats" but few action. Well for me it's ok, i like games with heavy storyline.

Harrison
26th June 2009, 16:55
I also really enjoyed Longest Journey. I've not had chance to play Dreamfall properly though. Only played for about an hour when i got hold of it and haven't touched it since.

burns flipper
26th June 2009, 20:15
Dreamfall is excellent. It's a dark story and if you play it soon after Longest Journey, you'll understand more as it references a lot of the same things. It is an adventure game - there's a little bit of combat, sometimes this can be avoided but it's not hard anyway. I managed to complete it easily and I hate action/reflex games.

Imagine being able to run through Marcuria in full 3D, at night in the snow! It's magical. It also makes more questions than it answers, so you have to figure some of it out yourself, and some things are still left unanswered (for the moment).

There's loads of story and chat - just like Longest Journey - but like you say that's a good thing. They use the same voice actors from Longest Journey for April, Benrime and a few others, and it really draws you into the atmosphere.

It's really worth playing. It's set about 10 years after Longest Journey, and is a different story but somehow linked a bit to Longest Journey. Play all the way through and then we can discuss it here :)

Make sure you make some time to play it, so you can really get lost in the atmosphere.

Tiago
29th June 2009, 12:28
Great !!!:)
I had played 25/30% of the game so far. I am loving the game! Best adventure game ever for me.

but i have to read over and over again some dialogues, this game has a very strong storyline, and some sentences are not easy, so i go to dictionary a lot.

so, after dreamfall are they going to make a any moer sequel or other game with story connections?

burns flipper
29th June 2009, 18:51
They're doing "Dreamfall Chapters" in a few years, which is an episodic adventure. It will tie together many of the loose ends of all the stories so you can make sense of the entire mystery.

You can read Ragnar Tornquists blog (http://ragnartornquist.com/) but DF Chapters is years away :(

Harrison
30th June 2009, 00:09
I'm always worried about companies turning their adventures into episodic based releases. It means they can rip off fans of a series and not need to deliver much content per episode. Look at Sam and Max for a good example of this. Some of the episodes from that were one scene long. Not worth the price at all.

I hope a different company handles this one. So far the same company has been making all recent episode based adventure releases, and none of them have been that good.

burns flipper
30th June 2009, 20:34
It is, it will be Funcom not Telltale.

my_lo
1st July 2009, 11:55
I love "The longest Journey", excellent adventure. This thread made me wanna play it again ;)

burns flipper
2nd July 2009, 12:59
I'm just waiting for someone to invent the Holodeck so I can actually go to Arcadia for real.

Harrison
2nd July 2009, 13:26
:lol: I think it will be some time yet before that happened! Although you never know. Look at the pace of computer technology in just 40 years. What will it be like in another 30?

Tiago
2nd August 2009, 18:15
I finnish Longest Journey, what a excellentgame, i think i was my best adventure game ever !!!!!!

I just bought the sequel (not a true sequel,but a sequel) in Steam. "Dreamfall" !!

I can't wait to play this one to. :)

Harrison
3rd August 2009, 15:51
You will defintiely enjoy that one just as much. :)

Tiago
3rd August 2009, 16:19
You will defintiely enjoy that one just as much. :)

howwwww
i try it yesterday, i was not aspecting a adventure game with "combats".
That view, how do you say (not fps) similar to tom raider or splinter cell? isometric?
kind a dificult to get used to, but it looks great, the history looks great, just like the 1st one.

burns flipper
4th August 2009, 12:34
There's not much combat at all - and some of it can be avoided. The combat is very easy too, just pick a few hitting moves and repeatedly do them until you defeat the opponent. I think there's only about 3 or 4 combat sections so don't worry about it, it doesn't detract from the gameplay. I defeated everyone on my first attempt, and I don't play combat games at all. Still, save often just in case!

Dreamfall is a very dark game but it is done very well and explores a lot of subjects. Like The Longest Journey, it's all about the "mystery" and you have to try and piece everything togather. You still won't have all the parts to the puzzle when you get to the end, but that's great because it means you have to start thinking about everything that happened in the game, and also how it relates to The Longest Journey, and then you start putting more pieces of the puzzle togather, this time spanning both games.

Also, running around Marcuria in 3D in the snow is absolutely beautiful. TLJ has a big following and bringing some of the same locations to full 3D made such an incredible impact - you can run around the streets and alleyways, talk to whoever you want, and go to new places. It has great attention to details - not just in the locations but to the story - and will leave you wanting to know the rest of the story.

Let us know when you've finished it so we can start discussing it :)

Tiago
4th August 2009, 13:03
I will take a long time, i do not play it every day, and not so many hours as i would like, but i will give you some feedback

burns flipper
6th August 2009, 13:15
Take your time and really explore everything :)

Tiago
3rd October 2009, 16:33
Just finnish DreamFall.... OMG !
I only had a few hours a week,and i just finnished it 5 minutes ago.

Longest Journey and Dreamfall in my opinion were the best adventure games so far!!
Brilliant !! Storyline is the very Best there is ( Stark or Arcadia ;) )

It is a very complex story, special as english is not my native language.

Oh boy, but is lives to many questions around...

If you like a good story... try it !!!

burns flipper
7th October 2009, 10:33
Glad you enjoyed Dreamfall too! It's an incredible game, and you get a lot more out of it if you've played TLJ first. So many questions! It was incredibly well-written as a story and dialogue, and even better that you get to roam around the streets of Marcuria in 3D as if you live there.

Tiago
7th October 2009, 10:46
Yes the enviroment is so great, everything is well done,

but i cant' say dreamfall is better then Longest Journey, i don't know, i liked a lot Zoe character, she's great and you can feel her emotions quite well, and in a video game it's very good. But the first Longest Journey has something different, i don't know what, but i think i enjoy a bit more the first one... but both are excellent

burns flipper
8th October 2009, 11:18
I enjoyed them both immensely. Probably TLJ is my favourite because it seemed to have more of a fantasy setting, like exploring the tropical island Alais and going to the underwater city. There was a lot more magic in TLJ, and a lot of ancient prophecies.

Dreamfall was much darker and much more Sci-Fi. I wonder if in the next one they will unite the fantasy with the Sci-Fi to restore the balance...

Tiago
8th October 2009, 12:44
Is there going to be another one?

burns flipper
9th October 2009, 11:28
Dreamfall Chapters is the next one, episodic...but not for a number of years yet as Funcom haven't finished the game they're currently making and haven't started on the next TLJ game yet.