PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss

Stephen Coates
5th June 2009, 07:03
I was recently thinking about how harrison mentioned that you should be prerpaired to loose some hair if you are regulaly using a 21" CRT monitor.

This made me wonder if the 21" monitor could be the reason why the hair on the top of my head (which a few months ago, was quite long) was very easy to pull out. It didn't fall out but it did pull out easily, resulting in a large amount of long hair being scattered around my room.

I shaved it quite short a month of so ago and have had several commonets on how I am going bald. This is quite obvious now, although I noticed it myself when my hair was still long.

It is only the hair at the top of my head that pulled out easily though. The hair at the back, front and sides was still quite difficult to pull out.

my_lo
5th June 2009, 07:25
I don't know about the CRT screens but the hair on top of my head decided to go on a trip when i was 17 and they never came back, leaving only some fur on the sides and the back...
Since then, i shave my head completely every saturday morning, so people describe me as "the shaved head" instead of "the bald guy" and i can tell you one thing:

Shaved heads are too sexy!

Otherwise, like me, you can always find a nice hat:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2765634872_6246408a6c_m.jpg

Bloodwych
5th June 2009, 12:59
Thinning hair is just a genetic fact for many men and has been happening long before 21" CRTs.

CRTs are very well insulated and have to pass stringent radiation tests. If they really did cause hair loss, they would have been many well documented cases by now!

Cortona
5th June 2009, 13:03
I was recently thinking about how harrison mentioned that you should be prerpaired to loose some hair if you are regulaly using a 21" CRT monitor.

I think that's only if you use the 21" CRT monitor to brush your hair.

And don't worry, if you smear Marmite on your head and get a cow to lick it, it will all grow back.

Harrison
5th June 2009, 16:40
It was just something we are thought of when working in a design office years ago. At the time we were all running workstations for design work with dual 21" monitors and after sitting there all day for around 8 hours we all said we could feel the hair at our temples tingling quite a lot.

However I don't think hair loss on the top would be any relation to sitting in front of a CRT.

Is your Dad bald? Or are the men on your Mum's side of the family bald? Baldness is a genetic thing and runs in familes.

Cortona
6th June 2009, 11:11
I can feel the heat coming off my 24" LCD at work if I lean in too close.

My hair started falling out when I was 22, and it still hasn't finished. It's a slow process!

demusse
7th June 2009, 20:26
lol, this thread is the best iv'seen in a long time !!!

In Belgium we say that if you're going bald you have to smear apple-sauce on your marble and go sit in a hot humid basement for a week or two and you will have an afro !:D

Ron

Shoonay
15th June 2009, 12:46
Never heard about CRT's being the reason to lost hair, I know a few people who don't have/didn't had a computer and lost their hair in their 20's.
I did see some "scientific actual fact" (lol) report that being exposed to CRT radiation makes you grow faster... here and there... in the mature way. ;)