PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Episode 2, postponed AGAIN!!!

Ghost
8th February 2007, 22:07
Hello all,

As the thread title says it, Episode 2 has been delayed again to Christmas this year.
Why does Valve even bother with release dates when they can't stick with them anyway, I was planning to get Episode 2 last Christmas for the holidays.

Instead of that and perhaps Metroid Prime Corruption I was left with nothing and that got pretty boring quickly.
As of now, I am pulling Half Life 2 Episode 2 from my 'eagerly awaiting' list.

Harrison
9th February 2007, 01:12
It happens with many games. As with most things in life, initial estimated do not take into account unforeseen events that happen along the way.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2007, 10:27
Episode 2 has been delayed again to Christmas this year.THIS year??? And it should have been released last christmas?? Wtf, don't announce dates that you can't keep.

The same goes for Stalker, which will now be released, I think that one was announced for 2003/4 in the beginning.

Submeg
9th February 2007, 12:05
Woa that is REALLY bad! What happened, did they lose the game somewhere? Someone using it as a coaster in their office?

Puni/Void
9th February 2007, 12:26
That was sad to hear, Ghost. Stuff like that happens unfortunatly. I'm currently waiting for a couple of games myself. Command & Conquer 3 - Tiberium Wars and of course Fallout 3. Let's hope the first mentioned title will be released in the end of next month as planned.

Stalker has been quite delayed after what I've read. Hopefully the final result will be good.

Speaking delays.. I've been waiting for an English version of The Fall for MANY years now. And now it seems like it won't be released at all. :(

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2007, 15:48
Command & Conquer 3 - Tiberium Wars and of course Fallout 3I saw a trailer yesterday, and it looked quite impressive, a lot better than Supreme Commander.

I've been waiting for an English version of The Fall for MANY years now.That is the name I was searching in the other thread.

Other thread (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=176&page=4):lol:

Teho
9th February 2007, 16:19
Someone should remind Valve that the main idea behind episodic content is shorter, cheaper games released more often, instead of waiting for years for full games. If they really are going to spend a year and a half developing episode 2, it better be a full game. Or people just won't buy it. They can't possibly sell it cheap with that kind of development time behind it either.

Harrison
9th February 2007, 20:22
I'm wondering if this is what has happened. Maybe they did have Episode 2 near completion last December, but then thought it would be more deserving a full release instead.

Another thought I had was Vista and DirectX 10. With last December being so close to the release of Windows Vista and the much improved Direct X 10 API maybe they decided it would be a better plan to spend some time upgrading the HalfLife 2 engine with some new DX10 features and then releasing Episode 2 at the end of the year when they hope many people will have upgraded to Vista and be able to take advantage of DX10 based gaming.

Ghost
11th February 2007, 03:37
Hello,

I am probably exaggerating but Valve mentioned a while ago that they are also working on Half Life releases for the Xbox360 and the PS3, and I believe they mentioned something like wanting to release these games all at the same time.

I have the feeling the game is already nearly finished but that Valve is postponing its release to finish up the console releases.

P G,

Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars should be out soon, at a store here in the Netherlands you could already pre order the game.

It seems rather common these days that other developers continue the product another person started.

As for Fallout 3, I am sorry but I have no good opinion about Bethesda's likely ObliviFallout, the only true Fallout 3 for me was Van Buren.

STALKER, well a game magazine here wasn't so impressed by it, they are of the opinion if it had been released earlier it would have been more revolutionairy, now most of its ideas have already been used.

The Fall, well read the reviews before you buy.

Puni/Void
16th February 2007, 11:47
Hi Ghost,

I'm looking forward to play C&C Tiberium Wars. Have seen a few videos of it and it looks very good, at least graphically. Hope it will be just as fun to play Online as the older games in the series.

Will pay some extra attentions to reviews of The Fall. ;)

Demon Cleaner
16th February 2007, 17:21
Kane: You can't kill the Messiah!***shivers***

Toasty667
2nd May 2007, 15:53
And Halo!!! Still Halo 2 eludes the PC and yet number 3 is in progress! Grr I hope what with it being made with Vista in mind it's still XP compatable.:(

AlexJ
2nd May 2007, 16:27
And Halo!!! Still Halo 2 eludes the PC and yet number 3 is in progress! Grr I hope what with it being made with Vista in mind it's still XP compatable.:(

Hate to disapoint you but: Halo 2 gamers face Vista upgrade (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm)

Looks like a case of the OS not being enough incentive for people to upgrade so MS have to resort to making their games exclusive to Vista in the hope people will upgrade. I doubt many will do it simply because of a several year old first-gen Xbox game.

You feel that other developers will support XP for the time being to make sure sales are strong (a large majority of the market is still on XP, so XP compatible will allow them to sell more games). Vista is still too buggy for the mainstream. I've had 20-30 BSOD's on it so far and that's with barely anything installed on it either software or hardware wise and just during normal usage.

Harrison
2nd May 2007, 17:04
The instability is one of the reasons I've not upgraded to Vista yet. I always like to wait until the first service pack is out for any new OS before I take the plunge.

Also it seems more developers are starting to state their upcoming games will be Vista only, which I think isn't a good move yet as I cannot see enough of the market switching to Vista until at least this December before enough will be using the OS to make an impact on the XP userbase.

As for Halo 2, I bought it on release for the original Xbox, and while it was a good and enjoyable game back then, it does show its age now compared to newer titles on the PC and the newer consoles, as well as newer PS2 games even looking better! It won't have stood the test of time if and when it finally gets a launch on the PC unless Microsoft have been spending all of this extra time updating the game engine.

AlexJ
2nd May 2007, 17:07
The instability is one of the reasons I've not upgraded to Vista yet. I always like to wait until the first service pack is out for any new OS before I take the plunge.

Normally, that's what I do too, but in this case I needed a new desktop at short notice so I had to get a pre-built one, which had Vista on it.

Ghost
21st May 2007, 01:45
Hello all,

In case you are interested, I found this article yesterday.
Warning, it does have some plot spoilers.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162955&site=pcg

Also, some of you might have heard that the 'Black Box' edition of half Life 2 Episode 2 has been cancelled.
I pretty much assume that the Orange Box edition will be sold at the full price of a game, why did Valve pull such a stunt?

Its pretty obvious that a lot of the Half Life fans already have half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 1, and now they have to pay again for a full game while the marketing gimmick was that the independent episodes would be cheaper.

Harrison
21st May 2007, 12:33
Did Valve ever actually say that each episode would be cheaper? I'm not sure they did.

Also I don't get what the problem is with having to pay a full game price if an episode is full length in content and size. Just because it is an episode doesn't mean it has to be a cut down shorter release. For me an episode denotes that the release is a continuation of the original HL2, rather than a complete sequel which calling it HL3 would suggest.

Ghost
22nd May 2007, 01:17
Hello Harrison,

In the magazines they sold the idea that the 'Episodes' would be quicker developed and would not be as expensive as a full game.

What I simply don't like is that I have to pay for a full package, the one game I want to play and the two games I already have.

I think you are mistaken regarding the idea that the episodes have the length of the original Half Life 2, rather you should see Episode 1 as a third of Half Life 2's length.

Again this was done so that the Episodes could be released faster onto the market.

Harrison
22nd May 2007, 02:15
I think you are mistaken regarding the idea that the episodes have the length of the original Half Life 2, rather you should see Episode 1 as a third of Half Life 2's length.

Sorry I didn't make that completely clear. I know episode 1 was shorter as I've played it, but that did cost less that a full game. I was speaking in terms of the concept of episodes in gaming in general, not just half life. I personally don't see why releases called episodes need to be shorter, with less development time and a lower cost if they contain as much content as the original release.

You could look at Episodes as being another name for Expansions. Something we have long seen being released for video games, with the original HalfLife seeing quite a few of its own expansions that extended the game from different viewpoints.

It is true that the original concept of episodic game releases was to take what would normally be a single full game release and instead release it in chunks, allowing for shorter development time per episode and cheaper prices per episode. Sam and Max is a good example of this in action. In marketing terms this idea is very desirable as it allows for regular revenue through regular releases and when added together the cost of all of the episodes will end up being more than if the game had been released as a single game. But equally Sam and Max is also a good example of why it doesn't work. Shorter development time and a much cheaper episode price means the content can suffer badly and you can end up with episodes that are not worth bothering with.

Valve realised that the original episode idea wasn't going to work based on the grand ideas they have for the HL2 universe, so have instead extended the development time of episode 2 and are making it a much larger expansion.

I do agree that it isn't right if the only way to purchase episode 2 is to buy it bundled with the original game and first episode. But surely it can be purchased via steam like the first one? Using this method it should prove much cheaper to purchase.

But if that does prove to be the only way to purchase it you always have an alternative. Fly the Jolly Roger! ;)