PDA

View Full Version : Some new HQ ClassicWB videos

Bloodwych
20th April 2009, 18:39
I've updated some of the ClassicWB videos to show all your friends and make them hail the power of the AMiga! :p

The main webpage video has been updated; click the HQ button for extra visual and audio goodness:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/features.htm

and I've posted the first of a series of tutorial videos, although it's a little unfinished as I intend to add annotation text boxes at some point so you may fall asleep at its slow pace! LOL!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knu1KDVhCAI

The video shows you how to:

Copy the Games and Demos drawers from the default system partition DH0: to a second partition DH1:
Unarchive the KG WHDLoad "T" game pack into the DH1:Games/T drawer.
Edit the relevant startup-sequence files in order to make everything work as it should (links, Game launchers, RAD: boot etc)
Examples of updating and running the Launchers in order to pick up games in the new locations automatically.

Harrison
21st April 2009, 09:22
Very nice work indeed. Keep it up.

I'm sure those tutorial videos will be very useful to all new users of ClassicWB as those are exactly the questions I had myself when I first installed it.

ClassicWB just keeps getting better and better and gives Amigas a new lease of life, and their owners a renewed interest in using them (I know it did for me). :)

Bloodwych
21st April 2009, 17:33
Thanks Harrison; always appreciate your continued support of Amiga related projects.

Coze over at EAB reminded me that I must consolodate all those startup-sequence files so people don't have to make so many changes when moving drawers to other partitions.

In the next release, I'll make an assign-sequence file that has most of the assigns in one place so very few changes will need applying in comparision to the current system.

Harrison
22nd April 2009, 09:57
That sounds good.

Andrew1971
29th December 2010, 10:58
Bloodwych what amiga do you have looks really quick on the vid
Many Thanks
Andrew

Harrison
30th December 2010, 13:21
He is probably running it via emulation to create the video, but I might be wrong. Looking at the Workbench bar in the video it is reporting a standard A1200 setup with 68020 CPU, plus 8MB fast ram. That might not sound much, but ClassicWB will run very nicely on a basic A1200 with just a fast ram expansion.

To get the most from it though a 68030 accelerator card with 8MB+ fast ram is the best solution. Either a Blizzard 1230 MKIV with some fast ram (best 030 accelerator), or the new 030 accelerator Amigakit are selling.

Andrew1971
30th December 2010, 18:33
Cheers Harrison. silly question where do you put fast ram?
Many Thanks
Andrew

Harrison
31st December 2010, 01:53
For the A1200 Fast Ram has to be added via an expansion card that plugs into the trapdoor expansion under the A1200. This could be just a ram card up to 8MB, or an accelerator card which will include a faster processor, sometimes an FPU, and the ability to add a SIMM for some fast ram.

On the A600 you could only add fast ram using the PCMCIA slot on the lefthand side of the case, using 2 or 4MB SRAM PCMCIA cards.

Andrew1971
31st December 2010, 17:24
Thank You Harrison for the info.PCMCIA SRAM cards where do you get then from.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Harrison
31st December 2010, 18:41
Keep looking on ebay. They pop up from time to time. The A600/A1200 can accept either 2MB or 4MB versions of the 16bit PCMCIA SRAM cards. They were quite common on PC laptops at the time so they did appear quite often. I picked one up for my A600 a couple of years ago for under £10.

Andrew1971
1st January 2011, 12:26
Cheers Hrrison

hayesey
2nd January 2011, 00:07
I'm finding the old PCMCIA SRAM cards impossible to get hold of now

Harrison
2nd January 2011, 10:30
The only one I can find on ebay at the moment is an Epson 2MB SRAM card in the US selling for £38 + postage. So quite expensive. Will let you know if I spot any for sale.