PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous piracy warnings on the Amiga

AlexJ
8th February 2007, 20:36
While scanning in The Chaos Engine's manual for the site I came across this warning:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7161/backupwarningem6.png

WTF? Backing up the disk may destroy it? It's illegal to make a back up? Both news to me! :lol:

Anyone know of any other games or applications on Amiga that had as or perhaps even more ridiculous warnings of what might happen if you tried copying the disk?

v85rawdeal
8th February 2007, 20:46
It may not quite bear the same relevance, but I do remember one of the Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge games having a subliminal message in the title music...

The message was "You will not copy this game...".

I found this out after ripping the music from my :pirate3: version... which just goes to show that it didn't work...

Nice try, though... I still have the sample somewhere!!!

AlexJ
8th February 2007, 20:57
Yeah I remember finding that out a few years back. Never noticed it before, because I played on a Mono TV mostly. It's very noticeable in stereo through headphones though.

Sample attached (zipped .wav file).

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2007, 09:56
I'm sure, that out there in our big world, were a lot of people, that didn't try copying the disks whilst reading the warning, assuming it would really destroy their original. Perhaps some amigas had a built in shredder.

Submeg
9th February 2007, 09:59
Well the drive seemed to eat through some of my disks.....I remember thinking, "I should back Wings up..." and then grrrrrrrn.......disk gone. :(

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2007, 10:02
The drive made indeed some weird and eerie noises, sometimes I really thought it would shred the disks to dust.

Submeg
9th February 2007, 10:12
Yea I know I almost cried when it chewed my Wings...I had just completed 90 missions....without dying....

Teho
9th February 2007, 16:10
Actually, that the drives sometimes really chewed your disk is kind of half true. Many game and demo programmers coded their own trackloaders, or floppy controllers if you will. And the way many of these treated the disks and the drive wasn't very healthy at all.

Harrison
9th February 2007, 20:16
Amiga floppy drives were definitely the noisiest of any system I have ever encountered. If you access a floppy disk in a PC it can hardly be heard most of the time. In comparison the loading of a game in any Amiga was very audible to say the least, but then that was half the charm of the system. I personally loved the chugging and grinding sounds as the disks loaded.

Submeg
9th February 2007, 20:33
Until it spat it out and went "wtf was that? Oh well its corrupted now...MWAHAHA!"

Stephen Coates
11th February 2007, 10:58
Amiga floppy drives were definitely the noisiest of any system I have ever encountered. If you access a floppy disk in a PC it can hardly be heard most of the time. In comparison the loading of a game in any Amiga was very audible to say the least, but then that was half the charm of the system. I personally loved the chugging and grinding sounds as the disks loaded.

I still love the Amigas floppy drives sounds.

Much better than any other drive I have ever come accross.

AlexJ
11th February 2007, 20:25
Yeah and the way some games had their own noises, with Robocod for example the drive made two long errrrr noises just as it was about to finish loading.

v85rawdeal
12th February 2007, 12:23
Perhaps we could create a theme tune for the site... made entirely with the samples of Amiga floppy drives loading different games (Similar to the Top Gear tune done with engines)

What say you guys?

Submeg
12th February 2007, 13:08
But how could you do that without all the background noise?

Harrison
12th February 2007, 17:48
Background noise? It should be quite easy to place a mic near to the Amiga drive and record games loading without any other background noise to interfere.

Similar to the Top Gear tune done with engines

That is a truly awful tune for sure. :D Very funny though. Wasn't it James who "composed" that? Would explain why. ;)

Anyone see this week's Topgear with them in the US? That was funny, especially when they were being chased by the Rednecks, and the cow on Jeremy's roof!

AlexJ
12th February 2007, 19:44
Anyone see this week's Topgear with them in the US? That was funny, especially when they were being chased by the Rednecks, and the cow on Jeremy's roof!

Yeah - that was quite scary. I know part of TG is scripted but I don't think that bit at the petrol station was. I love the way on some forums, people from Alabama are trying to justify it, saying it would be like going to Britain and writing "The English football team are sh*t" on a car and driving it round. I couldn't see people in England reacting in the way they did, and in Scotland they'd probably cheer them. There wasn't anything really offensive, I mean Hillary for President? I thought the USA was meant to be a democracy?

Harrison
12th February 2007, 20:16
Umm... I kind of disagree. They did an experiment on Panarama during the last World Cup. The reporter purchased an old Vauxhall Astra and decorated it with all the England flags and football related things he could find. He then drove up to Scotland and soon after crossing the border was starting to get some verbal abuse from passing cars and pedestrians. Than as a final experiment he left the car parked in Glasgow. 20 minutes later the car was completely destroyed by local thugs!

Submeg
12th February 2007, 20:57
Lol nasty!

v85rawdeal
14th February 2007, 11:04
"The English football team are sh*t"

Oh, doesnt the truth hurt!!!!

Submeg
14th February 2007, 11:21
Hehe! Paying out your own side, now thats class. :thumbs: