PDA

View Full Version : My new monitor.

rayzorblue
16th March 2009, 11:30
I am taking delivery of a new monitor for my gaming pc this week sometime (I wish I had got the 1 day delivery now as I will be staring at the front door all week).
It is a cheap 22" widescreen TFT and I wondered if anyone had any useful input as to what resolution I should use for gaming on it.
My system specs are
AMD Athalon 64 3700+
4x512mb GIEL dual channel RAM
PNY GeForce 7800 GS GPU
The monitors max resolution is 1680x1050 but I think this might lose me too many FPS on games, I currently have my resolution set to 1024x768 which is fine for me so any suggestions would be welcome.

Harrison
16th March 2009, 15:54
It all depends what games you are playing. Anything released two years ago or older should run fine on high settings at the monitors native resolution. And even most released up to about a year ago will probably be fine.

With nearly the same setup. Same CPU, same amount of ram, and a PCI-E PNY 7800GT I used to be able to run most things at my monitors 1280x1024 resolution. But very recent games such as Far Cry 2 and Crysis has to be run at 1024x768 to get good framerates and reasonable quality settings.

Just experiment and see. Every game is different, but it is important to keep your graphics card drivers up to date because direct support, giving better performance, is added for specific games with each new release. So you can sometimes get quite a few extra frames from just updating the drivers.

rayzorblue
16th March 2009, 19:25
yeah I been doing a little research and I think 1280x800 is the way to go, its a 16:10 monitor and only has a vga socket but 22" for £104 is a snip and will do me just fine. It also has built in speakers but I wont be using those anyway, just hope there is no dead or stuck pixels.

Harrison
16th March 2009, 23:52
Dead and stuck pixels are very rare these days. I've not seen any on a monitor in a long time. And you are in your right to return any item purchased within 14 days if you are not completely happy with it, so if you did get any dead pixels you should be able to return for a full refund.

sarek2k
17th March 2009, 12:13
Dead and stuck pixels are very rare these days. I've not seen any on a monitor in a long time. And you are in your right to return any item purchased within 14 days if you are not completely happy with it, so if you did get any dead pixels you should be able to return for a full refund.

Sorry to jump in here but i recently got a new pc with a 19" monitor from pcworld and i told em straight any dead pixels and it's comming straight back!

If harrison remebers the first tft monitor i got also 19" had 1 dead pixel it was liveable but i never did take it back, this time it was gonna be different.

thankfully this X19 rebranded Dell i think, with a hard glass coating has no dead pixels and looks the business so i'm happy with it.

@rayzorblue good deal you got on that monitor :thumbs: