PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Software that required an MMU?

Harrison
7th March 2009, 10:17
Does anyone know of any Amiga software that requires an MMU to work?

As some of your know, WinUAE doesn't currently support or emulate an MMU. Toni's argument against adding emulation for it is that no Amiga software needed an MMU to run.

About the only native Amiga software that I know of that needed an MMU was the virtual memory program Gigamem, and Amiga Enforcer.

But was there any other software that required an MMU? Or a version that was written to utilise one?

One reason I would love to see WinUAE support it is so I can run and test the different Amiga Linux Distros, rather than needed to try and set them up on a real Amiga.

Buleste
7th March 2009, 10:31
The only one I can think of is SamplitudeOpus. Unfortunately the Amiga handles memory well without an MMU and because for the vast majority of the time serious software was being written for Amiga's that didn't have access to MMU's so there is very little that requires them although there are a few that support them (ImageFX, Lightwave etc.).

Harrison
7th March 2009, 17:00
A list of those with support for an MMU would also be good, not just MMU required software.