PDA

View Full Version : What made you leave the Amiga scene?

Harrison
5th March 2009, 13:51
When Commodore started to decline and developers stopped creating new games for the Amiga many users abandoned the system and moved on to use other newer games consoles, or the PC.

What was your main reason for leaving the Amiga scene? And what made you eventually come back?

Tiago
5th March 2009, 14:43
I think you should put one more line in the poll:

"- i really don't know"

my case, i think i wanted to play new games with higher graphics.
I remember when i saw one of the first cd-rom games for PC: Megarace, with that 18 minutes intro.... i cannot describe what io felt that day.... i saw the intro 3 or 4 times before played the game, the intro was so so so good i cound believe... that day i felt that i should get a Pc....
But i should never get rid of my A600HD in that time.

And why i get back?.... well the Amiga days where the best computer days of my life... i only get this conclusion after a big time, the day i felt this was the day i join CLASSICAMIGA!!!!! :)

thirtywinter
5th March 2009, 15:42
Closest I could find for me was that the Amiga technology became outdated. Or should I say that everybody else caught up and then surpassed.. however you want to put it.

Reason for coming back.. well.. Hmmm.. Nostalgia.

Harrison
5th March 2009, 16:23
I had a similar experience regarding the PC.

Until the 90's PC games has been stuck with CGA and then EGA graphics, and horrible internal speaker beeps for sound. And the games looked horrible, with the sort of colours you see programmers pick when they are left to "design" something themselves! ;)

But then in 1988 PCs gained VGA graphics cards and the first Adlib sound cards. This gave the PC sound equal to the ST (so still not as good as the Amiga at that point) and VGA graphics that finally allowed PC games to look nearly the same as the Amiga versions.

Then in 1991 the PC had SVGA graphics with 256 colours and higher resolutions, and the first Sound Blaster sound cards with PCM audio which finally could prodice audio better than the Amigas.

However it was in 1992/3 when the PC finally started to overtake the Amiga in terms of power and the best versions of new games being released. Many Amiga games released at this point had better 256 colour versions on the PC.

But for me, like so many others, the first PC game that really impressed me was Doom in 1993. That was the first PC game that brought it home to me that the Amiga was suddenly becoming a dated hardware platform, and the more expensive PC was starting to run away as the best home computer gaming platform. I remember standing outside a computer shop and just watching a demo of Doom running on a PC and being blown away, also knowing I couldn't afford a PC at the time. But also knowing my A1200 still had some life left in it for a couple more years at least. At least for all games that didn't need full 3D to run.

There was also Wing Commander. A CD32 version was available, but the PC version was still better with higher resolution graphics. And playing the CD32 version I knew it was nearing the end for Amiga games.

However what really impress me and blow me away in 1993 was seeing X-Wing. It was at that point that I knew I would eventually have to buy a PC.

thirtywinter
5th March 2009, 17:15
Yep.. as nice as I thought Doom was it was X-Wing that made me admit that I would move to the PC eventually. I didin't see any way that the scale of X-Wing being possible on most Amigas of the day.

That being said, Tie Fighter beat the crap out of X-Wing when that was released.

pew pew pew

v85rawdeal
5th March 2009, 17:45
Originally, I needed the space and gave my A500 and stuff to a charity store... but quickly realised it was a mistake.... And I got myself an A1200 as soon as I could.

Puni/Void
5th March 2009, 17:46
I chose the last option in the poll, as I never left the Amiga Scene.

Today I use the Amiga for various tasks like programming, drawing, gaming and watching demos.

Harrison
5th March 2009, 22:06
That being said, Tie Fighter beat the crap out of X-Wing when that was released.

Definitely. Tie-Fighter was a brilliant game, and still is. I bought the re-released Gold edition that contained both X-Wing and Tie-Fighter in 1998, with both games having been enhanced, and the X-Wing version updated to use the Tie-Fighter game engine. Was a great box to get.

And then there was X-Wing Alliance which allowed you to pilot a whole series of freighters from the Millennium Falcon range of ships. That was a great game too.

Gone a bit off topic I know, but the X-Wing series of games were great. And it is about time they made a new one. Imagine one now with current PC hardware. :cool:

Stephen Coates
5th March 2009, 22:22
I never did leave it.

TiredOfLife
5th March 2009, 22:28
I'm posting this using AOS4.1.
Never left. ;)

Harrison
5th March 2009, 23:13
I never did leave it.

But Steve, you completely missed the Amiga days! :lol: Quite unique to be born after the fact and still become a fan of a retro platform. So in a way you were never in it, but instead came back to the scene but for the first time. :blink: Kind of like a Star Trek paradox. ;)

I can imagine it is a two sided experience becoming a fan of the Amiga after the fact. On the one hand everything to do with the Amiga as a platform is complete and the whole history of the system is there for you to explore. A bit like any of us retro fans exploring some other retro systems we didn't personally own or use back in the day. But at the same time the contrast is true, with you having missed the actual Amiga years, so never experiencing the system when it was new, and as it evolved. Experiencing the genre breaking games and software as they were launched, and seeing the developers get more and more out of the system over the years.

Demon Cleaner
6th March 2009, 00:24
I even can't remember why I sold my Amiga for a PC. But it's not in the poll options :)

thirtywinter
6th March 2009, 15:37

Definitely. Tie-Fighter was a brilliant game, and still is. I bought the re-released Gold edition that contained both X-Wing and Tie-Fighter in 1998, with both games having been enhanced, and the X-Wing version updated to use the Tie-Fighter game engine. Was a great box to get.

And then there was X-Wing Alliance which allowed you to pilot a whole series of freighters from the Millennium Falcon range of ships. That was a great game too.

Gone a bit off topic I know, but the X-Wing series of games were great. And it is about time they made a new one. Imagine one now with current PC hardware. :cool:

Totally agreed on that one. That would be mindblowing if they did. I can't even imagine...

I also bought the gold edition and still have the discs stored very safely. I also seem to remember the package also containing the X-Wing Alliance discs as well.. ? At least I know I have them, just never got around to actually play them. For shame! For shame!

Harrison
6th March 2009, 16:16
Alliance might run on current PCs as it was Windows 98 and Direct X based. I will have to see. Would be cool to get it running on a newer PC.

sarek2k
6th March 2009, 16:18
I guess many of us have a similar story ie DOOM it's ironic i now hate that type of game.

At the time i had to sell my Amiga stuff to get a Pc and with many tales of woe it wasn't an easy introduction, i had more than my fair share of failed Pc hardware (Why was i the unlucky one who always bought the ****ed piece of hardware) Hard drives/motherboards you name it i've had a ****ed version of it.

I came back to Amiga cause of great forums like this winuae and then of course real Amiga hardware.

I should probably use it more than i do :)

my_lo
9th March 2009, 06:13
I sold my amiga 1200 in 1992 because i was entering university (computer programming) and i needed to have a PC but i didn't have enough money to buy it, so the A1200 filled the gap. I always regretted it and i still do.
Emulation is now my way to enjoy it again...

It's also the same story with the C64 that i sold to buy an AMIGA 500, which i sold to buy my AMIGA 1200. If i could go back in time, i'd keep my C64 and my A1200 but, even if the feeling isn't the same, i love the idea to have all my favourite platforms running on the same computer: AMIGA, C64, SNES and my PC games :)

Stephen Coates
9th March 2009, 16:22
I never did leave it.

But Steve, you completely missed the Amiga days! :lol: Quite unique to be born after the fact and still become a fan of a retro platform. So in a way you were never in it, but instead came back to the scene but for the first time. :blink: Kind of like a Star Trek paradox. ;)

You never specified dates in the poll ;)

Graham Humphrey
9th March 2009, 17:40
I've never left it either. I've been into it since I was very young and it's always been there really. I guess as a result there is almost no nostalgia in it for me whatsoever.

thirtywinter
9th March 2009, 19:22
Alliance might run on current PCs as it was Windows 98 and Direct X based. I will have to see. Would be cool to get it running on a newer PC.

Actually I found myself so intrigued I had to go find those CD's again. Let's see...

* blows dust off sleeves *

Tie Fighter Collector's CD-Rom Windows 95/98
X-Wing Collectors CD-Rom Windows 95/98
X-Wing Alliance (2 CD) Windows 95/98

Yay! I think I might be in business. If worst comes to worst I'll just boot up on the XP partition and I *should* be good.

So X-wing Alliance is worth the time then? I remember thinking it just looked like a rail shooter. (Which is why I never bothered to try it)

And heey! What is this.. an old favorite... Star Wars Rebellion. Ah.. Used to love that game.. Although not so fond of the end game where you would sometimes find yourself hunting down one or two characters across the whole galaxy... :thumbsdown2:

Anyhoo.. enough reminiscing.. I might have to try a couple of installs after I have paid my dues to UG... hehe :smokin:

Harrison
9th March 2009, 23:25
I had to lookup SW Rebellion as I didn't know the game name, and here in the UK is was called Star Wats Supremacy, and I've got that version. Great game and a good Star Wars themed RTS. There was a similar Star Trek RTS called Birth of the Federation that I really enjoyed too.

thirtywinter
9th March 2009, 23:40
Hmmmm.. never heard about that one. Then again, I was never a big Trekkie anyhoo. Although I will confess that I did purchase.. what was it again.. Star Trek: Klingon Academy or something like that and enjoyed the heck out of that one. Got that one after I got Total War.. aaaaah.. that was a good summer.

woody.cool
10th March 2009, 12:08
..what? I never abandoned the Amiga! Here to the end!
I still use my Amiga on a daily basis!

thirtywinter
12th March 2009, 17:06

Bah! It looks like they installed just fine on both Vista and XP, however, much to my chagrin you require a joystick to even be able to start the game. Man!
:fekr:

Harrison
12th March 2009, 23:12
You mean you don't have a joystick? :o I have my trusty Amiga Competition Pro plugged into my PC at all times (via a USB convertor). Works great too. ;)

thirtywinter
13th March 2009, 00:22
I used to have one, but I lost it during a move. Well.. this gives me an excuse to get a new one. :)

Harrison
13th March 2009, 10:45
The Xbox 360 wired controller works perfectly with XP and Vista and is one part of the 360 that M$ actually designed well, although Sega did originally give them a hand designing the original Xbox controller, based on the Sega Dreamcast one, so it was bound to be quite good. ;)

thirtywinter
5th April 2009, 23:02
I finally got around to getting a wired 360 controller and it works like a charm. Very nice! The button arrangement on TIE Fighter didn't make any sense to me at all. Is there any way to change that other than in the game? (I didn't see any obvious way of changing that in game at all)

Vangar
12th May 2009, 15:14
Well i dunno about the actual amiga, But i moved from Australia to Canada and its taken me about 5 months to get back to thinking about this site. Been here a long time and dont post often enough. I need to get motivated to do so. Back when Classicamiga started to now, I think this site rocks.

Puni/Void
14th May 2009, 18:09
Hi there Vangar! A bit off-topic perhaps, but why did you move to Canada? Is it something work related?

Shoonay
16th June 2009, 08:41
I voted ..it was a mistake and I soon came back!

Oh well, you know... in late 1996 my best gaming friend got himself a PSX so we became huge fans of it, then in January of 1997 I got meself one too and the madness started. Amiga went sitting on my desk and waiting for better times.
Then in December of 1998 I got meself a PC (Celeron 333 with a shitty ATI card that couldn't run Carmageddon 2 at an enjoyable frame rate), around the year 2000 I got me very own dial up modem and spent way-too-much-cash on every day irc.
Finally, around 2002 I think, I discovered that Amiga is still alive and kicking and there are a few great portals in the Internet.
Thanks to a good new friend from PPA.pl I managed to get a HD working with my A600, copied almost all of the ~350 floppies to it and never looked back at a disk drive.

xpect
16th June 2009, 17:42
Never left.

Used my Amigas professionally for music at a daily basis till the end of 1999. My Amiga 4000 had the same WB3.0 install for 14 years till I decided to install 3.9 at the end of last year.

I have PC's since 1996. I bought my first one a Pentium 166 MMX because of the Encore scoresheet music program, nothing related to gaming. I used the A4K for MIDI sequencing daily with Bars&Pipes and Samplitude for audio editing. Only jumped to the PC fully when was inevitable softwarewize at the end of 1999. And guess what program i'm using on the PC also, till today? Yes, Samplitude. Now in version 10.2.

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2009, 18:49
There's still no option for me?

I could get a good PC for very cheap and I really thought that PCs would make the future. That was in 1993, and I was right (no flaming now please :)).

Harrison
17th June 2009, 11:15
You were right though. The PC did (sadly) eventually take over the home computer market and ended up being the future.

But in terms of leaving and coming back to the Amiga, you did do that as you sold your Amiga to help fund your PC purchase, but have since returned via emulation, and also your more recent purchase of an A1200 (even if you never use it).

Demon Cleaner
17th June 2009, 11:45
I still had my 5A00 when I got my PC, but sold it later as I really didn't have any use for it anymore. And at that time it got 10.000LUF which is 250€ and was a lot of money.

With my starting interest in emulation with MAME in its early years, I also started to emulate my 2 favorite systems, which obviously were C64 and Amiga. In the beginning I used Fellow, which was faster than UAE (no WinUAE yet), and immediately started to enjoy the Amiga games again a lot. Previously I already bought another C64 which was also set up, and then I decided to also acquire an Amiga again. And then started the whole emulation mania and computer/console collecting.

You're right about my A1200, I bought it, used it for a week, and then I put it on the shelf, where it still is, just in another house :)

Harrison
17th June 2009, 12:05
So you in reality never really left the Amiga scene, still using Amiga software via emulation, so the last option applies to you I think.

Demon Cleaner
17th June 2009, 12:33
From my first PC until first emulation there was an Amiga gap, I now chose the 2nd option.

Vangar
29th June 2009, 06:30
Hi there Vangar! A bit off-topic perhaps, but why did you move to Canada? Is it something work related?

So-so. Its a nice change from Australia (sort of, i like Australia's weather better) But I also have moved here to be with my Girlfriend for 2 years. I really need to get on this forum more... Ever since the move to the new forum years ago i stopped coming as much as I did! I even have it on my shortcut bar in firefox and just never know what to post here...

Phantom
15th April 2010, 14:13
I know that's an old story, but I have to say my opinion too.:)

I just never abandoned Amiga, it's simply as that. When Commodore went down, I just loved Amiga much more than I did. :thumbs:

It's like a machine with spirit, you can easily hear her whispering at you at sometimes...:)

But whatever happens in the future, it will not change my mind and love about Amiga.

Sharingan
19th April 2010, 21:54
That's pretty deep, man :)

I suppose I never really abandoned the Amiga, since I regularly dug up the machine just to have a go at one of the classics. However, the frequency of that happening did decrease after I first bought a PlayStation, and after that, the PS2.

I never got into PC gaming, however. I wasn't particularly impressed or even interested in all the FPS games like Doom, and for some reason, I felt somewhat hostile towards anything PC-related. It wasn't until 1999 or 2000 that I first bought a decent PC for University work. The only games on the PC that I did want to play were the strategy games, which the consoles mostly lacked.

AD-RS1600i
10th September 2010, 18:10
What a great post - I thought I had to reply to such a great topic of conversation :)

I was really late to the Amiga scene having stuck with my trusty ZX spectrum +2 right up until the commercial death of the platform in late 1992 - late 1992/3 I brought a A1200 through really being pushed into it by a mate.. you see, I really wanted a A600 with the internal hard disk for the same money... (I thought it was cute and I wanted a hard disk machine) It turns out he wanted the free software from this CA ? club 'members only' deal he got me...:rolleyes:

I guess because I really wanted a A600 with the hard disk, I fell out of love with the A1200 very quickly, saw X-Wing on the PC and promptly sold it 6 months after I purchased it and put the money towards a nasty DX33 with 4 meg of RAM, 80mb double spaced disk and no sound card that would sort of play X-Wing...

I guess up until 92 I wasn't that bothered about the Amiga and actually didn't really like it as to my mind it was causing the demise of my beloved Spectrum platform (I was young!!). What changed my mind was the vibrancy of the platform, the demo scene particularly, and if I am honest the struggle to maintain it dispute the hardware beginning to age compared with the PC.

In 1997 I brought a A600 second hand for £20 which I completely fell in love with, buying a Viper 630 with 8 meg, an internal hard disk and some other bits and piece - I never got it to boot and got ripped off by this Amiga dealer in London who I trusted to fix it but that is another story.....

So for me my love for the Amiga platform is the story of triumph over adversity - come on, if we are honest, as a 'modern' computing platform Amiga should have been dead by 1995 specification wise especially with the parent company gone. Yet the shear brilliance of both private individuals and companies like Power Computing that not only got the Amiga out of the 90s with upgrades like their 030 and 060s boards but well into the 00s with the next logical step the PowerPC boards, simply stunning - the Amiga dead, not on your nelly!! Come on? With Moore Law stating quite correctly that computing power doubles every year - how on earth can some of you still be reading this post perfectly in the year 2010 on an Amiga 1200 that came out 17 years ago - pure human genius, I believe, the romance of which I am a total sucker for - quite rightly :)

What about now? Well at the age of 31 I am finally going to build my A600 (the same one from 1997) with a Internal harddisk using two brand new pieces of hardware - the A603 ram expansion & ECS flickerfixer flicker fixer board :)

For me it is all about triumph over adversity - hence why I feel out of love with the PC world - game/ OS to slow? Replace you hardware 'guv.............

Sorry war and peace!

Adrian

PS - same with the Speccy to a lesser extent - how on earth could you buy a 48k in 1982 and still buy brand new software for it in 1992 - 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs:

Harrison
11th September 2010, 01:12
The fact older platforms were based on a fixed hardware design helped prolong their life and software support greatly. These days that is really only the case for games consoles. For the PC market that has never been the case due to its completely modular nature, and the PC market being the centre of continued hardware development, so the components are continually in a state of progression.

Continued software development and use of older platforms for a long time after they should have ended just shows how much people become attached to something. The Amiga especially still has something very special that keeps many people continuing to use it even today. It is hard to explain what that special something is to someone who isn't a part of that continuing community, or has any memories of using the systems back in the day.

Maybe we are all just overly sentimental? Or just the determination to prove a special platform still has some life left in it and still serves a use. The legacy of their designers.

It is also made what some people have managed to achieve on old systems. Look at the Commodore 64 web server for example. Or some of the ported famous Amiga demos to the C64 and Vic20, just to prove they could be done.

BTW, good luck getting your A600 up and running. Do you still have the A630 and are going to try getting that to work also?

AD-RS1600i
11th September 2010, 10:20
@Harrison - totally agree :) these days I am far more interested (and attached actually) to see what developers will end up getting out of the PS3, rather than the PC which as always will be a simple case of upgrade or don't participate if your machine is not up to it. Where I am coming from with this statement is of course things become superseded by the next big thing in terms of hardware, but to my mind the shelf life of a PC is far too short and I am sure good hardware gets buried in the ground when it actually has a use if people developed responsibly - that's my inner hippy coming out lol :) Besides, the PC was always, and still is a faceless device - my A600 on the other hand, I am sure at least 5 people reading this post will have one - exactly the same - for classic games etc :) I guess that might be why there may not be a following for Classic DX2-66 486 machines out there on the net - although there might be :)

I am sooooooooooooo glad to see the Amiga scene so vibrant and fresh after so many years - well done all of you for keep it alive :)

Sadly, I sold the Viper 630 card in 2005 due to money issues I had at the time and the fact it hadn't been used since 1997! Boy do I regret that now as they have become incredibly rare and sought after..... I have my fingers and toes crossed that someone like Individual Computers could be brave enough to manufacture another batch of A600 accelerators. A 030 with 32gig of ram running at 25mhz would be ideal as there would not be the associated heat issues as suffered by the Apollo and Viper back in the day running at 40mhz :)

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

32meg BTW - shows how much everything has changed lol

:)

Harrison
13th September 2010, 13:26
It is so easy to type or think in terms of GB these days, and have to remember we once thought a Megabyte was big! ;)

AD-RS1600i
13th September 2010, 18:21
It is so easy to type or think in terms of GB these days, and have to remember we once thought a Megabyte was big! ;)

I sooo know what you are saying - machines started off with K of ram for me so it can get really confusing.! :) I want to buy a 4gig flash drive for my A600, that would have been totally unthinkable back in the day :)

Harrison
14th September 2010, 13:15
I've had a load of trouble getting CF cards to work as flash drives in A1200's, but others equally seem to have no problems. Very strange.

I would recommend you avoid Kingston CF cards as I've never managed to get those to work, and have read others with the same problem. The best and most compatible are SanDisk CF cards and I'm currently using a 4GB one in one of my A1200's, although it still has some problems. Good luck trying to get one to work in your A600. I'm also attempting the same at the moment so will share any info I can to help you out. You can easily find IDE to CF adapters for about £2 on ebay, and 4GB Sandisk cards for about £10. So quite an affordable SSD solution for the Amiga.

Plus being CF cards, you can plug them into a PC card reader, boot up WinUAE, and add them as an Amiga HDD to set them up and copy the software wanted onto them. Is a great solution.

And as you say, having a 4GB HDD was totally unthinkable back in the day, let alone a solidstate HDD solution! It still amazes me every day how fast technology keeps moving forward.

Jay
14th September 2010, 16:53
I think when I noticed the scene shrinking I knew the writing was on the wall. As the CU mags decreased in pages and increased in price it was pretty evident that public interest and new releases were fading fast. I held off for a long time then jumped to the PC. Felt like a traitor at the time but it had to be done!

chrispy
16th September 2010, 22:44
What made me leave was the fact all these Johnny Come Lately's arrived on the scene and started selling bootleg copies of everything. I was no angel and had loads of copied stuff but I never once sold discs. I used to love trading with friends etc and towards the end I was proud to say I had contacts as far afield as Australia, Japan, California even Russia. The whole scene was great until the moneygrabbers got into it and spoiled it. I soon became disillusioned with it all and moved on to the PC which was never anything like the Amiga scene. Me and a mate used to go to the big Amiga shows in Earls Court which was cool.

Harrison
16th September 2010, 22:53
I think when I noticed the scene shrinking I knew the writing was on the wall. As the CU mags decreased in pages and increased in price it was pretty evident that public interest and new releases were fading fast. I held off for a long time then jumped to the PC. Felt like a traitor at the time but it had to be done!

Exactly the same for me. I also held on to the Amiga magazines until the end. The most popular 2 AF and Cu tried their best with the great cover CDs (I have every issue), but once a system fails there is only so long a magazine can continue to find enough content to survive. The sadest closures were.. Aui got thinner and thinner and turned from monthly, to bi-monthly, then closed. Amiga Computing then closed. And eventually Cu Amiga ended, and that was a very sad day as it was my favourite one. And all that was left was Amiga Format. It tried its best to hang on as the last great Amiga magazine, but soon started to struggle... and finally ended.

We do however still have one Amiga magazine going strong. Amiga Future. created by a devoted German Amiga fan, with a lot of guest writers every month, it is well worth buying if you have some spare change. He advertises the magazine on the main classicamiga.com homepage, so if interested please use that link to take a look at the latest issue.

Harrison
16th September 2010, 23:00
What made me leave was the fact all these Johnny Come Lately's arrived on the scene and started selling bootleg copies of everything.

Luckily I never encountered that. For me towards the end, all of the gaming stores were starting to sell of all their Amiga games at discounted prices and I was grabbing everything I could find that I didn't already have. Most games were selling for £1-2. It was sad to know the Amiga was losing popularity and the stores were trying to shift their stock, but at the same time it was great being able to grab so many great bargains.

The same happened when the Sega Dreamcast was starting to fail. I managed to collect a massive DC games collection for next to nothing. And still have the lot. Every good game ever released for that system. and the Dreamcast still remains one of my favourite consoles to this day.

moved on to the PC which was never anything like the Amiga scene. Me and a mate used to go to the big Amiga shows in Earls Court which was cool.

The PC demo scene does have a lot of talent and some amazing demo releases, but like you say, it just never had the amazing atmosphere of the Amiga scene. The Amiga was the centre of the demo scene, and most coders and continuing demo groups can be traced back to the Amiga somehow. Amazing days and amazing productions.

Vangar
6th November 2010, 22:01
I was never really 'in' the Amiga scene, but the Amiga is still my favorite PC and if there was a new one, I'd definitely switch back.

Menace
1st March 2011, 20:28
I think back in the day i moved on to arcade games and newer consoles so i think it was a tech thing,although i have U-turned since and are 90% a retro/classic gamer so today a machines spec is mostly irrelevant to me now.:D

Harrison
1st March 2011, 22:28
Your comment about machine spec being irrelevant is so true. We no longer need worry about things like the number of colours on screen, sprites or even polygons. Current PCs and consoles can all handle such specs to a high enough level now that anything the developers think of is possible. These days we all look at the design, gameplay and enjoyment of the game experience, rather than the comparison figures between different ports of the same title. And from a retro perspective I think we all do the same these days. Playing retro games, Amiga especially, because of the gameplay and design.

Lord Riton
9th March 2011, 08:36
We no longer need worry about things like the number of colours on screen, sprites or even polygons. Current PCs and consoles can all handle such specs to a high enough level now that anything the developers think of is possible.

That is still not true.

I have an xbox 360, and i love to play games like Oblivion (despite that damm level scaling). I clearly see the limitations of the console when i play such games, and i dream of a next generation of xbox that will get much more items on the screen and better rendered. We are still very far of a representation of the word as real as in reality. I think for that to be (almost) true, we will need at least 2 more console generations. I speak of console generation because these always raise in "BIG" levels, of course same happens with the PCs, just they raise more offten but in smaller levels.

As for the reason i left my Amiga: it was clearly for the 2 first reasons on the poll, i answered 2nd reason.

Harrison
9th March 2011, 10:33
A lot of it is lazy programming though. Look how far people managed to push the Amiga at the end of its life, and also the same was true for both the first Playstation and the PS2. The games at the end of both systems mainstream lives looked like they were running on hardware far different to the first games released for the systems.

With the Xbox 360 I think a lot of developers have been guilty of porting PC games poorly because they can utilise the same code and resources, without really writing at the hardware level or optimising for the hardware. And imagine if coders really explored and pushed PC hardware at any fixed point in time. With the PC new hardware is constantly being released, with faster CPUs, more ram, more powerful GPUs, so the coders just move the goal to the more powerful hardware to more easily achieve their goals, rather than optimising their code and really pushing the existing hardware.

But I think this is true for most things in life, not just coding. People will always opt for the easy way, rather than work hard to do things the right way.

Lord Riton
9th March 2011, 12:52
But I think this is true for most things in life, not just coding. People will always opt for the easy way, rather than work hard to do things the right way.

Probably most of the time yes, but happily there are and probably always will be, some passionate people or perfectionistes who will invest more time and get so things better done :)

poundrick
8th August 2011, 19:10
I grew up and went to college discovered alcohol. Then when I finally got my own house the gaming bug came back.

Kin Hell
2nd September 2011, 10:35
My first ever computer was an A500 back in 1987. Jeepers, thats nearly 25 years ago.... :eyebrow:

Anyway, once you've had it in such young blood, it stays with you forever. Amiga Computing was real good fun back then. :cool:

Kin

j_sntos
28th February 2012, 13:16
I never selled my Amiga, just bought a PC because nedeed for my college works and it was a best fine machine with the possibillity of internet connection running faster. And then with all the appearance of cd format, the old flooppy discs were dated. And with the newest japan consoles were all just too small and fitted anywere, one of my probs at my room was the lack of space, so i boxed my amiga, but it was and still is like an old friend for me were i've spend days and days in front of him with one of the most marvellous games library of gaming history.