PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Vista are you running, and why?

Harrison
27th February 2009, 15:25
Will the range of different versions of Vista available, I was wondering which version you each run.

And has anyone been mad enough to actually buy a copy of Vista Ultimate?

Mad because Home Premium and Ultimate are identical except for Ultimate including the specific business relates additional from Vista Business that no normal user will ever use, and you pay £100 extra for their inclusion. Oh, there is also the fact that Premium only supports 16GB of ram and a single multi core CPU, whereas Ultimate supports 128GB and up to 2 multi-core CPUs. However I've yet to see a motherboard that supports more than 16GB of ram (unless you buy a server motherboard), and the same is true for 2 physical CPUs, so that isn't needed.

Demon Cleaner
27th February 2009, 18:40
I didn't upgrade yet, and I won't. I'm pretty happy with XP. I wanted to try Windows 7 out, and started a d/l, I wanted to install it on my laptop, but then I remembered I only had 512MB of RAM in it, because one module is broken.

Puni/Void
27th February 2009, 20:42
I haven't upgraded either. XP works fine for me, so I don't think it's any point in changing yet.

Harrison
27th February 2009, 23:23
I've also not upgraded and am still using XP Pro. I do have Vista on a laptop, as does my wife, and I hate it. It is definitely not designed to work well on laptops and just feels slow, bloated, and clumsy. A well configured XP is much nicer. Although the funny thing is I used to say exactly the same thing about XP when I was using 2000 as my main OS.

I think it has more to do with hardware reaching a point where is can run a version of an OS without any problems. When a new version comes out the increased resources needed is always bad to begin with. But a couple of years later when graphics cards, CPU power and the amount of ram has grown that all changes.

Teho
28th February 2009, 13:24
I'm still on XP too and am sticking with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Stephen Coates
28th February 2009, 15:20
With the amount of Vista versions avalible, I wouldn't even know where to star choosing which one, let alone actually completing the upgrade process.

Sticking with 2000 here. It runs everything I want it to and is extremely reliable :). If I got a newer PC I would probably stick with Linux and XP.

v85rawdeal
28th February 2009, 18:06
Just got Vista with my new laptop.

Stripped it down to being as close to XP as possible, but there are one or two elements that I like and one or two that kinda p me off.

Still taking time to find my way around it all though.

woody.cool
1st March 2009, 19:47
I run Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium (two different PCs)
I vote Ultimate as that's the best of what I run, I have Home Premium because that's what came on my laptop when I bought it.

J T
2nd March 2009, 13:26
I've got Vista home prem 64. I like it.

I kept XP MCE too, options FTW.

Harrison
2nd March 2009, 13:38
I vote Ultimate as that's the best of what I run, I have Home Premium because that's what came on my laptop when I bought it.

What were your reasons for buying Ultimate? Just wondering because unless you definitely need to additional business tools there isn't anything different between premium and ultimate (other than the £100 extra). Well, there is the Ultimate Extras, but M$ haven't delivered much of any use with that yet.

woody.cool
3rd March 2009, 15:54

What were your reasons for buying Ultimate? Just wondering because unless you definitely need to additional business tools there isn't anything different between premium and ultimate (other than the £100 extra). Well, there is the Ultimate Extras, but M$ haven't delivered much of any use with that yet.
I ... *ahem* ... din't buy Vista Ultimate (I think you know what I mean by that one ;) )
I do use tools like Remote Desktop etc. to remotely access my PC.
This is a must for me, as I often need to access the files I have from time to time.
Unfortunately products like VNC and Remote Administrator don't work with Vista and LogMein seems to randomly screw up on Vista. As for pcAnywhere, I've never bothered trying it on Vista, I doubt that it will work.

I still have one PC running Windows XP Professional though.

thirtywinter
4th March 2009, 14:53
I upgraded to Vista Ultimate but I needed it for business purposes. Also, I'm under the impression that Ultimate had some extra language support that any of the cheaper versions did not have. I used to deal with a lot of Japanese clients and I seem to remember that was one of the problems we encountered. I might get the details confused here. This was about year and a half ago and my memory is not quite what it used to be. boho!

That being said, I also kept XP Pro of course. (Set it up as a multi boot) I upgraded simply so I could keep abreast on what is new. The new office package also took a little getting used to, but I am loving it now.

Anybody else try the Windows 7 beta yet? I love it!!!!! It's like they took a good long hard look at Vista and changed the parts that didn't work.

Tiago
4th March 2009, 15:28
Vista?
almost 512mb ram just to be lay down on the sofa. to stand up more 512mb of ram, and if i want to jump i need an extra 1gb.... :(
with my old config in laptop (1gb) it was really slow, even with no extra software installed... then i bought an extra 1gb, and with 2gb it's better, but slower then xp...
so i keep the old xp in my laptop...
in the future, with 4gb or more RAM and powerfull cpus, vista will get better, for now i keep XP.

Harrison
4th March 2009, 15:34
That is very true Tiago.

But remember when XP was first released? Most users still owned PCs with just 256MB or ram, or even 128MB and were still running Windows 9x. When they tried to upgrade to XP they had a horrible experience with the new OX taking minutes to boot and then constantly accessing the HD because it had run out of ram.

These days pretty much any PC is guaranteed to run XP perfectly because all pretty much have at least 512MB of ram, and more 1GB.

And then the same thing happened with Vista. It really needs a minimum of 2GB of ram to really work well and yet many people still have a PC with 1GB or less ram. But ram is now so cheap that it can easil be upgraded. However I probably woudn't be happy running Vista with less than 3GB of ram as it is very resource hungy.

I can't wait for Windows 7. I will definitely be adopting that soon after its launch. Not like Vista, which I still don't use if I can help it.

khaxzan
4th March 2009, 15:46
Windows Vista!

HA!

I'm still on XP

StuKeith
22nd August 2009, 21:13
Im using 64bit ultimate for main pc as sometimes run a domain server. Also I use a lot of remote stuff and dont HP dosent have that built in as far as remember.

Main laptop is vista home premium as thats wats on laptop. small laptop has XP Pro, as not too powerfull and use it for fishing and watching tv.

The wifes netbook is also on xp pro. HTPC is running Windows 7.