PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit XP/Vista

Harrison
12th February 2009, 13:10
I'm thinking of switching to a 64-bit OS but was wondering if anyone else here is currently using one?

I want to do this so I can upgrade my main PC to 8GB of ram for video editing and post production work. However while I know that most 32-bit software should run perfectly well in the 64-bit version of the OS, what I'm wondering is if anyone using a 64-bit OS has had any compatibility issues with games or other software?

Also is there a list anywhere of games and productivity software that directly supports 64-bit? That come with (or has downloads) of 64-bit compiled versions?

Harrison
12th February 2009, 13:11
I also read today that if anyone owns the 32-bit version of Vista, that they can get a free copy of the 64-bit version for just the price of handling and shipping. Does anyone know if that is true?

Harrison
12th February 2009, 13:30
I just found a few forum topics talking about 64-bit compatibility, and they all say most games will run perfectly well, and just run in compatibility mode if a native 64-bit version isn't available. They list many games that work, so that is good.

However the official Microsoft compatibility site (which is quite comprehensive):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Default.aspx?type=Software

Seems to contradict that and lists many games as not compatible. However they go by a game having "Games for Windows", "Certified for Windows Vista", or Works with Windows Vista" certification to know if a game really is compatible, so their information isn't based on real world tests, unless a visitor to the site updates a game's record and reports it is compatible.

Many forums seem to be listing games as working fine, even though the same games are listed as "not compatible" on the official M$ site.

FOL
12th February 2009, 16:07
Been running Vista 64Bit for 4 months now, runs lovely (now I slipstreamed my disc and removed all the indexing and shadow crap).

Only norton was uncompatible (bought new version in the end) and all my games seem to work fine.

The only problem I have found, is that every now and then, the NTFS file gets corrupted and I have to reinstall (Good thing I setup a perfect install then backed it up with acronis 11).

Harrison
12th February 2009, 16:22
That isn't so good if NTFS gets corrupted often. I've never had any filesystem corruption with an NTFS based OS. Maybe it is something specific to your system? Could be motherboard related.

Thanks for the info. Good to know it works fine with all your games. I definitely think I will be making the switch to Vista 64-bit at some point very soon to take advantage of a quad core CPU and 8GB of ram. ;)

woody.cool
13th February 2009, 07:11
Been running Vista 64Bit for 4 months now, runs lovely (now I slipstreamed my disc and removed all the indexing and shadow crap).
Did you use vLite to slipstream your install?

Only norton was uncompatible (bought new version in the end) and all my games seem to work fine.
Norton!!!! It's crap anyway. I wouldn't bother with Norton if I were you!

The only problem I have found, is that every now and then, the NTFS file gets corrupted and I have to reinstall (Good thing I setup a perfect install then backed it up with acronis 11).
How peculiar. I've never had any NTFS problems with any version of Windows, unless I get over-zealous with Partition Magic or some other disk/partition management tools.

That isn't so good if NTFS gets corrupted often. I've never had any filesystem corruption with an NTFS based OS. Maybe it is something specific to your system? Could be motherboard related.
I'm think something strange, like IDE/SATA controller drivers, here.

Thanks for the info. Good to know it works fine with all your games. I definitely think I will be making the switch to Vista 64-bit at some point very soon to take advantage of a quad core CPU and 8GB of ram. ;)
Sounds like a nice idea. Wish I had that kind of hardware.

One thing to note: 64-bit OSes (XP 64 and Vista 64) don't have any support for 16-bit applications. Now that may sound like no great loss, but some older apps, although 32-bit, use a 16-bit installer stub to check if your being daft enough to run SETUP.EXE under Windows 3.11 (or older) ..... these won't run under a 64-bit OS.
Some games use this technique! (Well, older ones anyway)

Also, although this may not affect you either, if you have any applications that use the Borland Database Engine (BDE for short), they will most likely 'malfunction' under Vista 64-bit.
I work for a software company, and our software was written in Borland Delphi. Database access is done through the BDE, which crashes or locks up on a 64-bit OS (not so bad on XP-64 as it is on Vista 64-bit).
Like I say, probably won't affect you, but beware with some of these old applications.

Zetr0
13th February 2009, 09:57
Currently Running XP64 and Vista Business 64 at the moment, my laptop is running Vista 32, wich means I may well upgrade it, after all its got the ram 4 fricking gig on a laptop!!!! seeshzaa

to begin with XP64, she installed flawlessly infact didnt even need a floppy drive for the sata controlle, which was the case under XP32, I also like the fact the foot print is not that much bigger than a regular XP install as well the diriviation of "program files & program files(x86)" for 32 bit support :)

but thats kinda where it draws the line, digging drives up can be a nightmare, and its a new-ish board (socket 939 amd chipset) but after a couple of hours i did manage to dig them up online :)

my new box is a Gigabyte S series AM2+ board with an Athlon 7750+ / Nvidia 9800 GTX / 2GB Ram, installed perfectly infact one of the lesser fussed installs in a long while!!!

so far so good, tried out cod5ww and was incredinly yumtastic! but when i get my dosbox on there I will be able to give a better judging, I will keep you posted on the vista 64

Harrison
13th February 2009, 10:59
One thing to note: 64-bit OSes (XP 64 and Vista 64) don't have any support for 16-bit applications. Now that may sound like no great loss, but some older apps, although 32-bit, use a 16-bit installer stub to check if your being daft enough to run SETUP.EXE under Windows 3.11 (or older) ..... these won't run under a 64-bit OS.
Some games use this technique! (Well, older ones anyway)

That is easy to fix. Just edit the installer with Orca and remove the part that is causing the trouble.

J T
13th February 2009, 13:49
I've been running vista home prem 64 for quite a while now, I like it very much and it was cheap (OEM copy) too. Never had a problem with it, although it does take longer to boot up and become preoperly responsive than XP. So far I managed to find all the drivers for things that needed it - a lot were supported natively by vista anyway. I am very pleased with it.

I've kept an XP intsall too though so I can boot into that for warezing it up and testing things, old games and things.