PDA

View Full Version : Wii hacking?

Harrison
10th February 2009, 23:07
Shall I buy a chipped Wii??

No point! A software hacked Wii is much better.

Demon Cleaner
11th February 2009, 01:43
Shall I buy a chipped Wii??

No point! A software hacked Wii is much better.How?

Harrison
11th February 2009, 02:21
You can software hack a Wii using software on a memory card, which you load into the Wii. It sets up a homebrew channel, which adds the ability to play copied/burnt games, plus emulators and homebrew software. And its constantly being improved and updated.

The current version is called "Wii Backup Loader v0.3 Gamma" and runs most games perfectly. And the same hacks have now also released a Gamecube version, allowing you to also run all backup copies of Gamecube games on the Wii too. So quite cool!

Look here (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=module&module=blogs&mid=136843&page=0) for loads of info and details on how to do it.

Demon Cleaner
11th February 2009, 14:14
I will have a look at that, thanks for the info :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
11th February 2009, 18:05
So here's what they say (at Gamefreax which is a modding site):

- The one guy says that he never tested this, but heard about it that it would work fine. But only as long as there's homebrew running, if Nintendo plans an update, it's not working anymore. He says that therefore it's "just for fun", and he doesn't use it.

- Another guy (who used it) mentions that it doesn't work at all, at best it works very very slow, like the streaming at the time from the Gamecube.

But I guess I have to get some more statements. And I was always the guy who went for a hardware modchip at the first place, as once it's installed, you don't have to worry about anymore.

Harrison
11th February 2009, 23:14
Except with live updates Nintendo can easily add newer mod chip detection into their next firmware, which can be designed to either lock you out of their online network, or brick the Wii.

As for the software mod working. I can confirm the Zelda: Twilight Princess Hack (WiiGatir v0.3) works perfectly. The OldskoolUK members: Sarek2k, DaZZaBoY, sleepw@lk and CoDeMaN were all testing this software hack when it was released, and the newer versions as they came out, and it works very well.

The very first version did have some speed issues, with pre-rendered game intros running very slowly in some games. And the first version also required patched DVD-R versions of the games. These two things have since been fixed, with games now running properly and no longer needing to be patched.

FOL
12th February 2009, 15:09
Im with Harrison, soft modded my Wii, the first week I bought it, aint looked back since, ;).

Demon Cleaner
12th February 2009, 16:08
I can confirm the Zelda: Twilight Princess Hack (WiiGatir v0.3) works perfectly.And for that one you need an original copy of the game I suppose?

Harrison
12th February 2009, 21:00
Yes. However you only use it the once to install the homebrew channel.

The game is worth buying though.

J T
13th February 2009, 12:52
Doesn't it need to be one of the original/early pressings of the game though? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Also, very tempting to softmod my wii. It barely sees any action anymore, this could open it up a bit more..... plays backups from DVDs fine, you say? Any special burning requirements?

Demon Cleaner
13th February 2009, 13:58
As far as I'm informed:

- Burn ISO slowly (4x)
- Use good DVDs (DVD-R and do RWs)
- Don't use cheap burner

- For DL discs sat the layerbreak to 2084960 (Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the only game using DL so far)
- For DL discs DVD+R DL should be used, preferably Verbatim

Harrison
13th February 2009, 15:47
And don't forget there is also the homebrew scene on the Wii, and installing the software mod installed the homebrew channel, which allows you to directly download emulators and homebrew games directly on the Wii.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2009, 15:15
Is this ALL you have to do when softmodding the Wii??

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119216&hl=softmod

Harrison
14th July 2009, 15:46
As mentioned in the other thread, I don't think you need to use the save game exploits any more. Have a look at http://wiiguide.co.cc/ It is using something called a bannerbomb. As soon as you try to access the SD card with the software loaded on it the Wii tries to open a banner message and the code on the SD card uses this to launch itself and bomb the process and hack the Wii. Very smart if this method works.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2009, 16:49
I bought a Wii now and will try the method from the guide. Hopefully it will work.

Harrison
14th July 2009, 16:55
Will be interested to know how it goes.

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2009, 12:19
I tried it yesterday but unfortunately it didn't work, but I think the main reason is because I only had a 4GB SD card to test with, and 90% of the people say that it doesn't work with 4GB cards. And mine is also a SDHC card. You need the card to use the software, like the backup loader, on the Wii.

But I didn't give up, tried to fool the Wii. I formatted it to FAT16 with only 2GB free and 2GB of unallocated space, and Windows only showed the card as 2GB card. But again the Wii said that this card cannot be used.

Then I copied 3GB dummy files onto the card, thus shrinking the size, to fool it that way, but also that didn't work.

So today Oz brought me an SD card, but he only had one spare of 256MB. So now I don't know if the files that are copied on the card will fit, I think it's a bit more than 256MB. Anyway, I ordered two 2GB cards, I only have to wait until they arrive.

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2009, 15:58
Ok, the 512MB is enough, as the files copied to it are only 23MB. Now waiting to go home and test it on the Wii.

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2009, 21:57
Works like a charm and was very easy to install with that guide. So far I tested a GC backup and a Wii backup, and both worked fine. Only the Wii game having some slowdowns. Didn't test the homebrew yet as you have to connect to the internet. Downloading Madworld now to test, that's a newer game.

I used a patcher called WiiBrickBlocker for the iso of the game to prevent it from updating when started, as that may brick your console.

Thanks for the good tip to softmod Harrison, saved me 80€ ;):thumbs:

Harrison
16th July 2009, 00:07
You are welcome. Glad it worked. I've had a few different people tell me it worked fine when they tried it.

Makes me want to buy a Wii now. So far do you think the Wii was worth buying?

Have you also read the part in the guide about ripping games to HDD or SD card? It is possible to rip the game DVDs to an SD card or USB external HDD connected to the Wii and launch and play them from there. You could therefore connect a large external HDD and have all of the Wii games accessible at once from there. It is definitely someone I would want to try.

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 00:51
I tested now Madworld, a very nasty game btw:), and it works perfectly without any slowdowns. But as far I only tried PAL games, I don't know if a softmodded Wii can launch NTSC/U or NTSC/J games? As far as I read, I don't think so. But I am currently downloading an NTSC game to test it.

I don't know if it's worth buying yet, perhaps not really, as there are only quite few games I really want, but it just was the right time to buy one, 4 weeks ago a new laptop, 2 weeks ago a new TomTom and now the Wii, I like the useless stuff :lol:

Have you also read the part in the guide about ripping games to HDD or SD card? It is possible to rip the game DVDs to an SD card or USB external HDD connected to the Wii and launch and play them from there. You could therefore connect a large external HDD and have all of the Wii games accessible at once from there. It is definitely someone I would want to try.

I didn't try that yet, but I definitely gonna do that, I have to have a look at that ripping guide, do you have a link? That would of course be awesome to launch the games from the external HDD.

EDIT: Hm :hmmm: I played Madworld for an hour now, then came to my first boss fight, and right there, before the fight starts, it froze. Sadly it didn't make one single savegame, so I have to start all over again.

Harrison
16th July 2009, 01:10
That is annoying. Might have been a bug in the game as much as the softmod or the copied disc. Could have been caused by any number of things.

Regarding NTSC games. I'm read of others using softmods running US NTSC games, so it might work. Worth a try anyway.

I thing the guide to ripping games to SD card or HDD was on Maxconsole.com. I will have a look and post a link if I find it.

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 01:57
EDIT 2: Omg, how easy is that!! With the applications I installed also came a SD & USB loader. So I plugged a 40GB HDD to the USB and launched the application. There you can format your disk, needs to be WBFS file format, and that needs only seconds to finish. Then you put in your game, press the + button on the remote, and the game is installed to the HDD. Then after you can launch it from there. Awesome. Only have to see if it works flawlessly. Perhaps Madworld will work properly that way.

I also found out that when you start a game, you can enter a configuration mode where you have some start options, like forcing PAL mode, which perhaps could then work for NTSC games. Still have to try that, but not today anymore.

EDIT 3: Ok, more information. Madworld installed perfectly and also works fine off the HDD, it even boots faster! But now I tried to install a second game, and it froze at 63.85% of the installation, so I started it again a second time now, to see if it stops again at the same place.

Next I'm gonna try is Metroid 3 as NTSC game, only have to unpack and burn it.

Btw, all the games are so far burned onto Verbatim DVD-R at 4x speed with Nero.

EDIT 4: The second install try was Ok and it installed just fine. Perhaps it's my old HDD.

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 14:01
Tonight is NTSC and homebrew testing :)

Harrison
16th July 2009, 14:02
Are you going to try some emulators?

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 14:38
Are you going to try some emulators?I guess, will look what is available.

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 22:01
There's a whole bunch of emulators available, and I tested the SNES one. Installs on the SD card, and as my current one is only 256MB, I cannot put a lot of stuff onto it, have to wait until my other SDs of 2GB arrive. But the emulator works fine, tested 3 ROMs without any problems. Gonna try Wii UAE when I get the cards.

And the NTSC games also boot without any tweaking.

Submeg
16th July 2009, 22:09
Hmm to mod or not to mod...

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2009, 22:53
Hmm to mod or not to mod...I only can recommend it, it's very easy.

Demon Cleaner
4th August 2009, 06:34
I got my second Wii last Friday and yesterday I modded that one too, again without any problems. I will use this one only for homebrew and fiddling around, so if I manage it to brick this one, I still have a working one left :)

J T
6th August 2009, 18:07
As mentioned in the other thread, I don't think you need to use the save game exploits any more. Have a look at http://wiiguide.co.cc/ It is using something called a bannerbomb. As soon as you try to access the SD card with the software loaded on it the Wii tries to open a banner message and the code on the SD card uses this to launch itself and bomb the process and hack the Wii. Very smart if this method works.

Oh, man. That does sound easy. And I do have a 2gig SD card just waiting unopened, as it happens.

Hmmmmmm :hmmm:

J T
7th August 2009, 13:23
So, I had a go at this last night.

And.......

After installing the hoebrew channel the Wii restarts, i could tell straight way there was an issue as there were interrupted horizontal magenta stripes at the top and bottim of the screen, and then when the picture appeared the colours were all off (like a colour channel was misssing like when you leave a component jack out or mix them up)... and when I selected the homebrew channel it froze......

My pants turned brown (figuratively speaking)...

And I did a hard reset and it was all fine :whistle:

Homebrew channel is working well, tried a few bits of homebrew from the bundled homebrew directory browser and they worked. Not tried playing a backup as yet though.

The channel in the wii menu for homebrew has a reall natty icon and plays some super jazzy wii style music as it loads up. Nice touches like that.

This was very easy (so far). The linked to guide is neat-o

Harrison
28th January 2010, 16:50
I finally decided to hack the new Wii we got for Christmas. Sadly it seems the site I originally found which you had all used with success is no longer working.

I instead found a newer site called Complete Softmod Guide, which contains a wealth of information. http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home

I also however discovered my Wii was the newer version dubbed the lu64+ version, which isn't as easy to hack. But fear not. It is now fully hacked and running homebrew and backups, plus updated to the 4.1 Menu system.

It wasn't as straight forward as I thought it might be though, and required some playing around with installers and different IOS and cIOS installers.

The initial bit went perfectly first time running the banner bomb exploit to install the homebrew channel and bootmii. However it was then I discovered the Wii I have was a newer version with a better protected IOS36 system file, meaning I couldn't make any homebrew ISO or DVD-R loaders run because I couldn't install a cIOS exploit they needed. Quite annoying.

However, after trying one method which kept hanging the system, I then used something called Tricha Bug Restorer and this successfully patched the system file back to the older version needed to exploit the system, and then it was full steam ahead. I could then update to Menu 4.1 and update all of the other system IOS pached files using "Dop-IOS Mod". A complex but quite cool utility.

So my method turned out to not be as easy to the older all in one softmod solutions that existed and used to work perfectly. But after all this I do now have a fully softmodded 4.1E Wii with homebrew channel, NeoGamma disc loader, Homebrew browser and loads of other stuff installed and working.

Now just to try and get Gamecube backups working. Anyone tried this? I've patched the system to allow it, but NeoGamma crashes and the system reboots when I try to load any.

Demon Cleaner
28th January 2010, 17:53
I use the loader which was in the AIO kit for the GC backups. And also you should install USB Loader GX, best loader imo.

Hm, wiiguide.co.cc really seems to be offline. I downloaded the latest 4.1 AIO kit from there 1 week ago for a friend, so I still have it. Wonder what happened to the site.

Release 4.1 (May 26th, 2009)

* Added LoadMII
* Added IOS35 downgrader
* Added Waninkoko SD/USB Loader Channel v1.5
* Updated Homebrew Browser to v0.3.1
* Removed dvd dump v1.2

Harrison
29th January 2010, 00:42
It is nearly 8 months since the author last updated the kit, so maybe he has moved on and abandoned it. I noticed he hasn't updated the thread about this on the MaxConsole forums either.

However, I am glad I did all the softmodding manually in the end as I now know exactly what has been installed and altered on the Wii right down to each specific system file, which is always nice to know, and could be useful in the future.

I finally got a GC backup to boot on the Wii. I tried a different loader by wiiGator, called GC Backup Launcher and it seems to work much better. It booted Pikmin 2 properly. However it did crach towards the end of the FMV intro sequence, so it didn't work perfectly. Will try a different one later to see if I get any better success.

Harrison
29th January 2010, 00:46
I've also tried out a few emulators now. WiiUAE 4 works very nicely. I loaded up a handful of games and they all worked perfectly. The speed of Amiga emulation also seems good.

A really useful list of Wii emulators can be found at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators

Harrison
29th January 2010, 04:18
A quick question about WAD files and the virtual console channels. I've installed some virtual control N64 games and each has installed as a separate channel. Is that the only way? I was hoping it would setup a virtual console channel with all of the installed games inside to keep things easier to navigate.

Also, is it possible to rearrange the channel order in the Wii menu? Does anyone know?

burns flipper
29th January 2010, 11:45
You change the channel order by pressing the A+B buttons over the channel and dragging it where you want. Or just the B button. Something like that. Virtual Console games all install as individual channels. You can always stick them on the second channel screen to keep them all together if you want.

Harrison
29th January 2010, 11:46
Ah! Cool. Cheers for that info Burns. I didn't know you could do that. Very easy! :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
29th January 2010, 12:32
I also thought that it was quite annoying to get every time one channel for each game you install, but I then also found out that you can move them around with the A&B buttons hold simultaneously, and I also put them to the second channel screen. On my first channel screen I only have the loaders. But then again, I have a second Wii for WiiWare and Virtual Console games only. On my main Wii, I moved the forecast and that channels to the second channel screen, I think you cannot delete/uninstall them.

Harrison
29th January 2010, 14:50
I've now found a much better method. Since Wii Menu version 4 you can now move channels to the SD memory card and load and run them directly from the SD card. The Wii also allows up to 240 channels to be installed onto each memory card, and since Menu 4 it now supports SDHC cards up to 32GB which is more than enough room.

So I've now moved all of my WiiWare and Virtual console games to the SD card and run them from there. Leaving the main Wii channel menus clutter free. Sorted. :)

Also having support for 32GB cards also makes running ripped games from card more appealing, and I might try this instead of using an external USB HD.

Harrison
1st February 2010, 16:01
Bit of a nightmare at the weekend. Connected the Wii to the TV in the living room and selected the different wireless network used, but without asking me it began upgrading the Wii Menu! Noooooo!!!

So it went from a fully hacked 4.1 to a Nintendo upgraded 4.2 Wii. Very annoying. Luckily it hadn't removed the homebrew channel and when I checked, IOS36 was still patched.

However the 4.2 upgrade had replaced the hacked IOS249 which is used to load a lot of software like ISO and backup disc loaders such as NeoGamma with a IOS249 stub file to block this from being installed.

After much searching I found a good guide on the WiiHacks.com forums explaining how to softmod 4.2 Wii's, and part of this ran though how to remove the IOS249 stub and replace it with the cios38rev14 in its place. And it worked perfectly! :)

Anyone with a 4.2 Wii I highly recommend this guide here (http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/24630-full-hacking-guide-4-2-system-menus.html).

Part B was all I needed to get everything back up and running again, and it all works as it did before with the earlier software versions. So that was good. This guide also links to all downloads needed to perform the soft modding, and these downloads are SD card packs with everything ready to run, so no need to download loads of things from lots of sites manually. Very easy guide.

Demon Cleaner
2nd February 2010, 04:17
Thanks for that link, might come in handy when I want to upgrade my Wii to 4.2. And as you have learned now, switch off Wii Connect ;)