PDA

View Full Version : LiveDOSGames

Harrison
9th February 2009, 14:09
What is LiveDOSGames?

LiveDosGames is a free, portable, fast Linux Operating System, which contains old, but legendary Dos games. It's small, so it can be stored on an USB stick, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't contain the everyday, general programs(Media Player, Picture Viewer etc.). If you would miss something(Games, different editors etc.) then with a click you can activate it, and it automatically puts itself to the menu, it doesn't need any installation and configuring.

Yes, that's right! LiveDOSGames is a Linux Distro streamlined and pre-configured with DOSBox and bundled with 78 commercial DOS games (with many more being added soon). It is a fully functioning up to date Linux environment too, and uses a module based system to download and install extra parts into the OS. This is much better than the old Linux mothod of needed to download distribution packages and then compile them for your OS. Now it does this all automatically for you. Might nicer.

And you can run it from a 512MB USB memory stick too, so you could set on up and then do some gaming at work! ;)

Take a look at http://livedosgames.com/

Harrison
9th February 2009, 14:17
There is a video showing LiveDosGames running on YouTube, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8on6W9K-I

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2009, 14:25
Well that's great, I'm gonna try this out. Do you have to boot from the stick?

Harrison
9th February 2009, 14:42
Yes. Make sure you download the latest 0.3 release from the site as it has a better installer that means you don't need to do as much when setting the OS up. You do still need to edit a couple of text files though to set the OS language and graphics card drivers. This is explained on their forum in the LiveDosGames 0.2.1/Installation section.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2009, 15:12
Do you only get the torrent file?

Harrison
9th February 2009, 15:25
For thee latest release they only have the torrent due to the amount of interest. They then make it available as a download later.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2009, 15:30
Ok, so I have to d/l it at home, torrents don't work here, which is totally understandable :)

Chewieshmoo
9th February 2009, 23:36
Looks great I am checking this out thanks!!!!

svebbe
10th February 2009, 08:30
awesome, os is going to be installed on my work's experimental os vmware server asap.

woody.cool
11th February 2009, 07:14
I'm gonna try this out later ... sounds gool!

Chewieshmoo
11th February 2009, 07:48
Booted on laptop, has potential however some sound and control issues in the games I have tried so far, this is running off DVD...........

Harrison
11th February 2009, 10:03
Did you download the latest 0.3 release via the torrent?

Sound and control issues in the DOS games will be due to DOSBox configurations and these can be edited in the dosbox.conf file for each game.

Demon Cleaner
11th February 2009, 15:09
I did everything like it says in the instructions for the Windows install, but when I boot from my USB stick I get a "boot error" message.

Harrison
11th February 2009, 15:47
Does your PC support booting from USB? I would be surprised if it didn't as most made in the last 4+ years will. Might be a BIOS setting, or it could be something wrong with the Linux configuration settings. Probably best to see if anyone else has had the same problem on their forum.

Demon Cleaner
11th February 2009, 16:33
Yep, it booted straight away from USB, it's barely one year old. Unfortunately their forum is rather empty and there are absolutely no posts at all.

Chewieshmoo
11th February 2009, 21:04
I did everything like it says in the instructions for the Windows install, but when I boot from my USB stick I get a "boot error" message.

I had same problem when I created the stick within the program however when I just dragged the contents from the DVD over to the USB stick it booted but unfortunately the interface was no longer in english and I do not know how to change it navigating the menus in Hungarian?:(

Harrison
11th February 2009, 23:03
When you have copied the files to the USB stick, you then need to run the \boot\bootinst.bat script and follow the instructions.

Then to set the language you need to edit the file \boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg

In that file is a line lang= which you can set with a two letter abbreviation for the language. Such as de for German or uk for English.

Read more about this on their forum here (http://livedosgames.com/index.php?page=forum&view=reply&topicid=8&category_id=4&region=0&pagef=1&lang=english).

Demon Cleaner
12th February 2009, 16:05
I did what you did FOL, burnt the iso file to DVD and then moved the files to the root of my USB stick to be able to change some options, which I did. But perhaps I made a mistake in the parameters, because I set the language to english, but not with the parameter uk, but en. Perhaps that's an issue (which I doubt)??

EDIT: That doesn't change anything either.

Tiago
12th February 2009, 16:55
Does your PC support booting from USB? I would be surprised if it didn't as most made in the last 4+ years will. Might be a BIOS setting, or it could be something wrong with the Linux configuration settings. Probably best to see if anyone else has had the same problem on their forum.

If my BIOS have in boot options the "USB" option does it mean that it can boot?
Or can you have the same BIOS in 2 different computers and one of them can have and the other dont?

I have an Asus A6VA and it have the USB boot option, but i try once a bootable version on Linux in a 4gb pen, but didnt boot.... :huh2:

Demon Cleaner
12th February 2009, 18:01
Depends on BIOS of the PC. In some you just put USB as first booting device, in others you just enable the USB boot, so it boots on USB media first.

Chewieshmoo
13th February 2009, 06:58
When you have copied the files to the USB stick, you then need to run the \boot\bootinst.bat script and follow the instructions.

Then to set the language you need to edit the file \boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg

In that file is a line lang= which you can set with a two letter abbreviation for the language. Such as de for German or uk for English.

Read more about this on their forum here (http://livedosgames.com/index.php?page=forum&view=reply&topicid=8&category_id=4&region=0&pagef=1&lang=english).

thanks!:)