PDA

View Full Version : PSP with PSOne graphics

Demon Cleaner
5th February 2009, 07:03
A modder built himself a portable PSOne, you can have a look at this nice piece here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwIM2kflL8Y&eurl=http://www.areagames.de/artikel/detail/Kurios-Modder-baut-sich-eigene-PSP-mit-PSone-Grafik/98710&feature=player_embedded).

Harrison
5th February 2009, 09:54
Another mad person! :lol:

Quite a cool custom handheld though. I was wondering how he was going to combine everything into a handheld, but the end result does look pretty good, if quite large and not really that portable. I wonder how long a single charge lasts? And it must be heavy with three camcorder batteries powering it.

A bit pointless though considering you can run most PSX games on the PSP easily from a memory stick.

Zetr0
6th February 2009, 08:13
I think it pretty awesome, great find DC!

the unit weighs a hefty 990grams and can run about 3.5 hours between charges.

I love this type of hackery, I agree with you H, that it would benefit being slightly thinner! but still a nice bit of moddery :)

(just needs to change the sholderpad positions ;))

theres a website to have a lookie www.modded-by-bacteria.com he has other systems there as well as kits to buy for those interpid hackery adventurers or is that Hack-o-naughts? ;)

Harrison
6th February 2009, 11:17
Yes, it is quite amazing what some people can do and achieve with custom projects like these. It always amazes me when I see someone take old hardware and rework it like this.

And powering original PSX hardware for 3.5 hours is quite impressive when you consider it wasn't ever designed for that purpose. Although as it is based on the later PSOne, that system has much lower power consumption than the original PSX did because it was designed to be more portable.

Weren't there official/third party portable power supplies for the PSOne at the time? I seem to remember companies like Logic3 creating them alongside their clip-on portable LCD screens so you could play the system "in the park!".