PDA

View Full Version : Dune2 - making of...

my_lo
17th December 2008, 08:46
I just found an interesting article on Edge-online (http://www.edge-online.com/) about the making of Dune 2.
Here is the link (http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-making-dune-ii)

Harrison
17th December 2008, 10:51
Oh yeah, that article was in the actual Edge magazine a few issues ago. They have some great articles each month about the making of some of the best classic games from the past.

my_lo
17th December 2008, 11:39
Yeah, they've already released some good ones...
Some time ago, I had scanned the making of the Monkey Island for a friend, if your interested i can upload or send it ;)

Buleste
17th December 2008, 11:48
I wonder if they'll ever do an article on Rise Of The Robots;).

Zetr0
17th December 2008, 12:10
isnt there a Command and Conquer port for the Amiga?

( i have been giving C&C a spanking on my PSP via PSX to PSP conversion)

Harrison
17th December 2008, 12:13
Yes there is a C&C and a Red Alert port on the Amiga. Details are on classicamiga. However the site is offline today because I'm doing major work on it. You should be able to see the C&C page tomorrow when it's all back up and running. :)

@Buleste - Yes they did one on RTTR a while back. I will see if I can dig the issue out and can scan it in if you like.

Buleste
17th December 2008, 12:14
There's a Red Alert port that no one can get to work but I don't think anyone evr did C&C.

Teho
17th December 2008, 15:05
@Buleste - Yes they did one on RTTR a while back. I will see if I can dig the issue out and can scan it in if you like.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Retro Gamer? They did a making of feature on it a while ago as well anyway.

Great link my_lo, look forward to reading that. :)

Demon Cleaner
17th December 2008, 15:52
Have to give it a look at home, it's websensed here :dry:

Sharingan
17th December 2008, 17:31
Nice read.

It's funny to see how terrific games used to be made by teams of barely 5 people, where high-profile titles nowadays take teams of 100+ people, millions of dollars and several years to complete.

Thing is, current-gen games aren't necessarily more fun than the games of old.

my_lo
18th December 2008, 11:10
Thing is, current-gen games aren't necessarily more fun than the games of old.

I couldn't agree more.
It seems that the graphics have taken over the real artistry. The best engine or the most powerful tech, it doesn't really matters. You can give a monkey the same paint and canvas as Da Vinci, but no chances are he's going to recreate the Mona Lisa.

Demon Cleaner
18th December 2008, 12:09
I also agree, but I enjoy both, be it Jumpman Jr. or Fallout 3, every game has it's fun (or not). But I have to say that there are also a lot of crappy old games, even more than the world needs.

my_lo
18th December 2008, 12:55
Yeah, there are crappy old ones, like trucks of it and great new ones (fallout3, dead space, bioshock,...).
But when i see the resources used to make, let's say quake 4, age of conan or even warhammer online, if think they should have spent less time to create a state of the art graphical marvel and spend more time on the gameplay and the scenario...

Demon Cleaner
18th December 2008, 13:35
That reminds me reading the latest review on Rise of the Argonauts, got very bad reviews, but was a big production. They spend a lot of time and money in it, but afterwards release it too fast, so that it's full of bugs and fiddly controls and gameplay.

Look here (http://metacritics.com/games/platforms/xbox360/riseoftheargonauts).