PDA

View Full Version : TV Hologram in CNN !!!!!!!!!

Tiago
8th December 2008, 22:30
Looks really nice, is this for real????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIS2ZwkWDg

Harrison
8th December 2008, 23:03
Hmm... can we believe it is a real hologram? I'm not so sure.

They were both stood in static locations. If it were a true hologram he could have walked around the hologram and she could have moved around more. Looks more like a computer overlay to me. Could they even see each other? Which would be true if it were working as they were saying.

I'm thinking it was more a case of her stood in a location with cameras around her, and the images from those cameras were being overlaid onto the TV set graphics. After all, most of the set he was stood in was computer generated too. Could he see her? I have my doubts. The only trick was the cameras around her so that when the studio cameras were shown from a different direction it showed her standing from a different perspective, show from behind her for example.

That isn't a hologram, that is 3D tracking into a 3D environment. That technology has been around for years and while it is impressive, it isn't a hologram. Tracking live footage that way is still quite impressive though as it takes quite a lot of processing power to do it with offline editing, so for online live broadcasting it would take some processing power and a lot of ram.