PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space

Harrison
15th November 2008, 03:42
Finally got around to trying this one out tonight. The PC version.

I was expecting the graphics to be a little demanding for my 7800GT, but I bumped the settings up to 1280x1024 on high and it looks great and plays smoothly, so that is really good. :)

The over the shoulder and to the side third person view point takes a bit of getting used to and is a bit disorientating, especially to someone used to play FPS style games. The controls on the PC version are also a little annoying. The usual mouse and WASD combo is used for movement. However when you hit tab to bring up the menu system you then have to switch to using the curser keys and enter to control the menu, plus the 1-4 keys to switch menu screens. A bit over fiddly. Would have been better to have mouse driven menus, or WASD navigation within them. But you get used to it quickly I suppose.

I've only played the game quickly to see what it was like and I'm enjoying it so far. Great scripts and believable voice acting for a change. Orchestrated set pieces much like Bioshock and similar, and although it is set in space it has a similar gameplay atmosphere and feel to that game too.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one. :)

J T
18th November 2008, 16:52
Got this on the 360, I wasn't too keen to start with but just at the end of the 3rd chapter and I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more.

The design and stylings are great, excellent graphics, but the tension isn't quite there compared to, say, Resi 4. I think the build-up should've been longer before OMG zombie monsters blood shoot off teh limbz. A nice, creep brooding build up would've been great.

Bloodwych
18th November 2008, 17:11
Sounds cool.

There was an adult cartoon called Dead Space wasn't there? With Zombie alien things and lots of blood.

Looks like the game is based off that.

Demon Cleaner
18th November 2008, 20:47
I'm currently at chapter 7 and I'm also enjoying it (playing it on PS3). I have to say that sometimes it really made me freak out, so that I almost fell off the couch. But that's on the big plasma, 5.1 sound at decent volume, and lights turned out. So far I'm also enjoying it a lot.

There's an anime called Dead Space: Downfall which explains the story before the game. It's also been released on BluRay now.

Bloodwych
18th November 2008, 22:39
That's what I must have seen Demon Cleaner - the anim for the game. It did have an open ending come to think of it... :D

Demon Cleaner
18th November 2008, 22:42
I have a DVD copy of it, but haven't watched it yet. Gonna do it after finisheing the game.

Harrison
18th November 2008, 23:49
I think the build-up should've been longer before OMG zombie monsters blood shoot off teh limbz. A nice, creep brooding build up would've been great.

That is a good point and I agree. It jumps into the zombie monster killing way too early. They should have used some uneasy suspense that is often used so well in space based horror films such as Event Horizon or Alien, or in games like Doom 3. In that game you don't get to see what is really attacking everyone or going on properly for some time, with glimpses through windows into rooms with flickering lights. Another game that uses suspense well is FEAR. Ideas from any of them to prolong the initial encounter would have been great.

But when you do get trapped in that initial room and the first attack happens it is quite well done, and then you being attacked and having to run is great to get the panic level rising.

I've not played the game past the second chapter yet as I'm spending most of my time playing Fallout 3 at the moment. That game is so huge with loads to see and do. And I know I've only scratched the surface so far.

Sharingan
19th November 2008, 17:35
I'll probably pick this one up tomorrow, along with Call of Duty 5 and Mirror's Edge. All the reviews on Dead Space have been glowing so far.

Still busy playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet and Valkyria Chronicles, but one can never have too many games, right?

Ghost
19th November 2008, 17:42
You do know about SecuRom right?

Harrison
19th November 2008, 22:31
You do know about SecuRom right?

The easy to crack PC game copy protection system? ;)

Ghost
20th November 2008, 23:26
While pirates don't have much of a problem with it I find it a problem when I want to buy software in a store, almost all new games come with it and from what I have heard SecuRom does quite other things that preventing game piracy.

I am worried that it could screw up my new PC should I install a game that has it, lately I haven't purchased any new game making me feel that my PC is a waste of money.
And I really don't want to switch fully to consoles.

Harrison
21st November 2008, 15:36
@Ghost You are allowed to legally crack a game if you own it! I do this all the time to remove the need to insert a CD everytime I wish to play a game. Just go to http://www.gamecopyworld.com to get the latest No-CD cracks and updates for most games. You are not breaking any laws using these if you own the games you apply them to. And it will stop such copy protections system running on your system.

Ghost
22nd November 2008, 23:18
Well the thing is Harrison,

SecuRom is installed on you computer when you install a game, not just when you run a game.

FOL
23rd November 2008, 11:27
@Ghost You are allowed to legally crack a game if you own it! I do this all the time to remove the need to insert a CD everytime I wish to play a game. Just go to http://www.gamecopyworld.com to get the latest No-CD cracks and updates for most games. You are not breaking any laws using these if you own the games you apply them to. And it will stop such copy protections system running on your system.

I am completely the same, my originals are used to install, then they go back in their case. All my originals are in mint condition, as I use no cd patches to save the hastle on secure rom. I remember buying Matrix Path of neo, I couldnt install it cause of secure rom. I ended up getting stressed and left the disc in for over 30 mins and it finally read the disc.

Well the thing is Harrison,

SecuRom is installed on you computer when you install a game, not just when you run a game.

While you are correct, harrison is also correct. As the patch is a modified exe / dll file that bypasses the secure rom installed on your computer.

J T
23rd November 2008, 20:49
I'll probably pick this one up tomorrow, along with Call of Duty 5 and Mirror's Edge. All the reviews on Dead Space have been glowing so far.

Still busy playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet and Valkyria Chronicles, but one can never have too many games, right?

Ooh, Mirror's Edge. I very much enjoyed the demo for that. I'd like to get it.

Sharingan
23rd November 2008, 21:11

Ooh, Mirror's Edge. I very much enjoyed the demo for that. I'd like to get it.

Picked up a copy today. Haven't played it yet (except for the demo, which indeed was quite enjoyable), but I'll come back and post some impressions.

For one thing, I think Digital Illusions (just looked it up, this is the same Digital Illusions that made Pinball Dreams/Illusions) made a great decision to keep this game in 1st person mode. If they'd made it a 3rd person view game, it'd be nothing more than just another Tomb Raider knockoff, IMO.

Demon Cleaner
24th November 2008, 05:54
I didn't get my copy yet, preordered it at Play.com, but they seem to take their time lately. I waited almost 2 weeks for Dead Space and Fallout 3, and also 3 weeks for my dualshock to arrive. Don't know what their problem is though?

Harrison
24th November 2008, 13:57
Maybe they are just very busy with pre-Christmas orders. Lets just hope play.com are not feeling the effects of the recession!

Ghost
25th November 2008, 16:21
Hello FOL,

Could you please explain to me how that works?
I wish to install a couple of games but I do not want to have SecuRom on my computer.

J T
26th November 2008, 14:08
Buy the games (optional)

And then download/torrent from a warez site of your choice.

Bingo bango.

Demon Cleaner
27th November 2008, 08:08
Back to topic. I'm just before the endboss, gonna kill it this afternoon (hopefully).

Demon Cleaner
27th November 2008, 15:07
Just finished the game, the endboss is a hoax. I killed it in 5 minutes, had only to restore health 2-3 times. Only used the pulse rifle. Not that I'm disappointed, as I'm no pro gamer, I prefer that I can beat it easier than dying all the time and not being able to finish the game. Time needed: 14 hours.

Great game though, glad I played it, and the Regenerator necromorph is a pain in the a$$ :lol:

Harrison
27th November 2008, 15:46
Glad you enjoyed the game. I've still not progressed much further yet as I'm still mostly playing Fallout 3.

And I agree. I think games should be easy enough to be completed by most gamers, otherwise a game that contains a story by cannot be completed becomes too frustrating and it can ruin the enjoyment of it.

Demon Cleaner
27th November 2008, 18:56
And I agree. I think games should be easy enough to be completed by most gamers, otherwise a game that contains a story by cannot be completed becomes too frustrating and it can ruin the enjoyment of it.True. I hate it when I'm almost at the end, and cannot finish it because it's too hard.

The same happened to me with Resistance. I was stuck at level 27 of 30, couldn't beat it, tried 15 times, then I gave up. Today after I finished Dead Space I thought to give it a try again, having not played it for almost a year (if not more), and with the 2nd try I managed to beat it. I was so happy :) Now I'm in the last level, will continue tomorrow.

I mainly wanted to finish it because I already ordered Resistance 2, and want to know the end of the story of the prequel. Let's just hope I will survive the last bloody encounter :lol:

Sharingan
27th November 2008, 21:37
I remember Resistance being a bit tough during the later levels. The problem with the game was that the cover 'system' sucked - the damn Chimera still manage to hit you even if you duck behind objects.

The trick to beating the tough Chimera is simply to move unpredictably. Your opponents are smart enough to take into account your movement, so they'll tend to fire at the location where you're going to be, instead of firing directly AT you. The last level really requires some twitchy running, because you'll be encountering enemies with blue plasma rifles, and they HURT if you eat too much of them.

Picking up Resistance 2 tomorrow. Should be good :thumbs:

On topic, there's a Dead Space demo on the Playstation Store now, for those who want to give the game a try beforing buying.

Demon Cleaner
28th November 2008, 16:26
Resistance is finished :thumbs: it was a bit tough at the end where you have to destroy the 4 reactors, but after 10 death', I finally managed to blow them up.

v85rawdeal
29th November 2008, 17:24
Take a look at the cinematics, and find the outtake one... It's mega!

Sharingan
30th November 2008, 11:14
Either I really suck, or Dead Space is really hard. I couldn't for the life of me hit those itty bitty skinny limbs in the demo :eyebrow:

Why should an alien die from a dismembered limb anyway, and NOT die from a point-blank shotgun blast to the head?!

Teho
30th November 2008, 21:50
They do die, if you shoot the head off. Sometimes. ;) I'm guessing the only way they can die is by bleeding to death, which goes a lot faster when you dismember them. But don't know if that's really the case. You can still kill them by just shooting them, but it takes a ton more ammo to do.

Remember that at least for the basic pistol thingie you can use the secondary fire to switch between it firing in a horizontal line or a vertical one. It's a whole lot easier to dismember them if you use this to shoot across the limbs instead of along them. I used this gun for most of the game actually, if you keep upgrading it it gets pretty powerful and can handle all except the biggest of the monsters you'll encounter.

Demon Cleaner
2nd December 2008, 14:50
For the moving limbs or the multiple tiny necromorphs attack I always used the Force Gun, so you don't miss any of them. Same counts for the pregnant ones, because if you shoot them in the stomach, multiple small necromorphs come out, and that can get a bit nasty.

And as Teho mentioned, use the Plasma Cutter in an horizontal position, you can't miss the limbs that way. Later when you upgraded your Line Gun, it's easy to dismember them, as the Line Gun becomes very powerful.

Take a look at the cinematics, and find the outtake one... It's mega!What? Where?

J T
3rd December 2008, 16:14
The Line gun secondary fire is like a little mine, which is quite useful for the little spidery things.

So far my two weapons of choice are the pulse rifle and the line gun. I'm just starting chapter 6.

Also keep a look out for any of the red container things - fling these into baddies with kinesis for hefty damage.

v85rawdeal
4th December 2008, 22:00
For the moving limbs or the multiple tiny necromorphs attack I always used the Force Gun, so you don't miss any of them. Same counts for the pregnant ones, because if you shoot them in the stomach, multiple small necromorphs come out, and that can get a bit nasty.

And as Teho mentioned, use the Plasma Cutter in an horizontal position, you can't miss the limbs that way. Later when you upgraded your Line Gun, it's easy to dismember them, as the Line Gun becomes very powerful.

Take a look at the cinematics, and find the outtake one... It's mega!What? Where?

On R:FOM, if you go to where you can view all the cutscenes, there is one at the bottom that is an 'outtake' version. It's cool! And very anti-american!!!

my_lo
17th December 2008, 07:37
I have received this game (pc version) as a present and i really like the ambiance but i don't find it nice to play with the keyboard and the mouse. I'd like to use a controller like the xbox360 or the rumblepad2 but i really don't know which one is best... Any advice? I would also use it for other games like gta IV...

Harrison
17th December 2008, 10:48
The best option is to get an Xbox 360 gamepad. They are fully compatible with Windows and many newer games also directly support it. Otherwise the next best option in my view is to get a Playstation 2 -> USB converter and use a PS2 dualshockII gamepad.

my_lo
17th December 2008, 12:14
Thanks for the advice, i have been to the shop right after your post and bought a xbox360 pc controller... I can't wait to be this evening and to try it with Dead Space :D

Demon Cleaner
17th December 2008, 13:42
I also think that the XBox controller is the better one. I always loved the Playstation controllers (still like them), but when I got my XBox, I also ordered a small controller (remember?? the original XBox controller was the BIG one). The small one was just great, and they just kept the shape of it with their new controllers.

My hands and fingers do hurt less after 2-3 of playing than with the PS controller. I sometimes go to a friend, and we play PES nonstop, that means for 8 or more hours straight. He has an XBox. Before the 2009 version, we always played on the PS2, and I sometimes got cramps in my hands, this isn't happening with the XBox controllers anymore.

As you already bought one now, forget about what I just wrote :lol:

PS: Switch the lights off when playing Dead Space ;)

my_lo
18th December 2008, 11:13
Waouw, the game is great and yes, in the dark it sometimes creeps the hell out of me. I love the ambiance.
PS: you guys were absolutely right the xbox controller is great :)