PDA

View Full Version : Amiga CD writing software

Harrison
14th November 2008, 05:58
What Amiga CD/DVD writing/burning packages exist?

This is one area I've never touched on with the Amiga. By the time CD Writers were affordable in 1998 I had a PC with a CD-RW fitted and so never tried with the Amiga.

I've now however got a 52x CD-RW in my A4000 and a 24x laptop CD-RW in my A1200, so thought it would be cool to play around with some burning software on the Amiga. :)

I've heard of MakeCD. Is that any good?

Buleste
14th November 2008, 08:24
To the best of my knowledge MakeCD is the only CD Writing software for the classoc OS. There are some for OS4. You can get the serial number from here. (http://www.estamos.de/makecd/)

woody.cool
14th November 2008, 13:10
To the best of my knowledge MakeCD is the only CD Writing software for the classoc OS. There are some for OS4. You can get the serial number from here. (http://www.estamos.de/makecd/)
You forgot to mention MasterISO - which can write to CD (AFAIK)

Harrison
14th November 2008, 13:17
Do you know what the system requirements are for these two programs?

TiredOfLife
15th November 2008, 12:14
Makecd is cd only and is a bit cumbersome in it's approach.

FryingPan burns DVD also and is available for Amiga OS 3xx, 4xx, AROS and Morphos

Much more intuitive to use.

Does cost though unlike Makecd which is free.

mpaulj
17th November 2008, 14:18
As far as I know, there are no system requirements. Just download Make CD from the Make CD site, add to your HD, attach a CD Writer and off you go.
I am currently using a desktop and towered A1200 with OS 3.9 and the program works with my external CD Writer on my desktop and internal CD Writer with my tower.
The only problem is making sure your CD Writer is compatible with the Make CD program, but their site does a quite extensive list of compatible writers.
If all else fails, I do have an external Yamaha 6x4x16 CD Writer which is for sale as a spare and which I know works with Make CD, although you will need a Squirrel PCMCIA-SCSI interface cable to connect it.
Regards,
Mike.

Harrison
17th November 2008, 16:06
Thanks for the info. I had completely forgotten about FryingPan. I would love to try it out, but being commercial I probably won't. I'm not really that interested in burning CD's on the Amiga for anything specific. I've got DVD writers in all my PCs for that. I just wanted to play around and actually know that I've used an Amiga to write a CD.

@mpaulj Thanks for the info and offer of external drive. However as this is just to play around with the Amiga's I'm not that bothered if they end up not working. I've got a few spare CD-RW drives anyway so I expect at least one will work in the A4000, and if the internal laptop writer in the A1200 works that would be a bonus.

I will post more once I've had a play around with both systems and see if they work.

I will also add a CD-Writing page to the Wiki once I'm up to speed on what's what so the info is there for the future. :)

TiredOfLife
11th December 2008, 00:19
MakeCD hasn't been updated for sometime and yet it worked perfectly with a new laptop dvd rewriter I bought about a month ago.

So I wouldn't worry about it not working.