PDA

View Full Version : No sound in browser

Demon Cleaner
13th November 2008, 14:26
I don't have any sound in my browser anymore, already tried Firefox and IE, same result. Sound from movie files or streaming from the Dreambox just works fine. But YouTube videos or even the sound from our main page doesn't work. If I click on play, the browsers just freeze and are not responding anymore?

Harrison
13th November 2008, 14:43
That is a very strange one.

Thinking about it the one thing that is common with the files you are playing in the browser is Adobe Flash. Both Youtube and the main site's video and audio players use Flash to play their audio. So my guess is it is something to do with Adobe Flash player.

Before looking for software fixes just one thing to check. Are you using 5.1 surround sound speakers? Flash only outputs sound to the front speaker pair, but if you have wired a 5.1 speaker system wrongly you would still hear other audio from the rear and centre speakers. Just something to double check.

Also are you using XP or Vista? In Vista there is now some new volume settings in the Windows Vista volume mixer. With Firefox open on a site that sould be playing sound you can open the volume mixer window by double clicking the volume icon in the task bar, and there is now a volume slider for Firefox.

If it's not the speaker connections or Vista volume controls then the issue is probably a messed up registry entry that Flash uses. Have a look at a thread on the Adobe site here (http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=184&threadid=1175007&enterthread=y) for possible solutions to this problem.

Harrison
13th November 2008, 14:48
Having a quick look through that Adobe thread I linked to, a possible registry fix is as follows.

All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Let me know if it works.

Demon Cleaner
13th November 2008, 14:55
First of all, I don't use 5.1 speakers and have XP installed.

But the registry entry did the job. Thanks for your help :thumbs: