PDA

View Full Version : List of Amiga Reference Books

Harrison
5th November 2008, 21:41
We need to create an as near to complete list of all published Amiga related books as we can.

This list needs to be broken down and grouped by publisher, and then by publication series. In addition where we can find out information about each book the entries need to include:

Name of Book
Author
Month and Year of Publication
Number of Pages
ISBN number (Wiki automatically links ISBN numbers to popular book sites such as Amazon)

This way it will make the job of contacting each author to try and obtain permission to host their publications much easier.

The easiest solution to build this list is to utilise the classicamiga Wiki to create a page listing all known Amiga book publications. We can easily update and amend this list as we find and add more books.

You can find the Amiga Reference Books list on the Wiki by going to:

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Amiga_Reference_Books

I've already begun adding quite an extensive list of known Amiga books. I started off by basing the list from one already existing on the Amiga History Guide site. I've then begun adding to and updating this list to include the additional information listed above.

If you know of some Amiga related books please add them to the wiki Amiga reference book list, or if you don't have Wiki editing permission please post your list of books in this thread and one of the Wiki editors will add your book to the list for you.

Working on the List

In addition, if anyone would like to help me expand the existing list now on the Wiki that would be great. The work needing to be completed on this list is the requirement to research each book listed and verify it exists/existed.

I've been doing this by first looking up each title and publisher on Amazon and other online book stores. Once some titles are found they are referenced against the book titles already in the book list and any additional information is added to the list entry and the Wiki page updated.

Also looking up each publisher is a good idea to see if there are additional Amiga books published by them that are currently not on our list. If this is so they can then be added to the list.

So far I've completed the list of Bruce Smith Books and am half way through the books published by Abacus.

Page structure and layout

If you add some new books to the list please follow the existing page layout and structure. Just copy and existing entry and edit it for the new one to ensure it keeps the existing look. There is also a copy of a typical list entries code shown at the bottom of the list's page.

Buleste
7th November 2008, 10:12
Added Complete Amiga C by Cliff Ramshaw to the Future Publishing area of the Wiki.

Buleste
7th November 2008, 10:50
Not sure how you would add cover scans onto the Wiki page so I'll post them here and you can add that to the wiki.

Harrison
7th November 2008, 16:10
There is an upload link in the toolbox (bottom left menu) where you can upload images to the Wiki. Once images are uploaded you link to them when editing a page by using the code:

[[Image:name_of_image.jpg|Caption]]

Quite easy.

Or to make a text link to an image you would use the url

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Image:Name_Of_Image.jpg

Buleste
10th November 2008, 14:23
Tried the [[Image:name_of_image.jpg]] bit after i uploaded the image but the scan is too big and screws up the page layout. Can you do your magic please?

AlexJ
10th November 2008, 18:53
[[Image:name_of_image.jpg|250px|Caption]] should sort the size problem out

Harrison
10th November 2008, 23:30
I think as it is a list we should keep the main page just text based with links to any cover images, rather than show them in line.

To link to an image you have to place a complete url link to the image's page. Using the example of the Complete Amiga C book, to link to the front cover page you could use:

[http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Image:CAC_Front.jpg Front]

This will appear as the word Front linking to the image page.

I've edited the page entry and added this into it.

AlexJ
11th November 2008, 23:34
You can use internal links as well, prefix the filename with a colon to avoid displaying the image.

i.e.

[[:Image:CAC_Front.jpg|Front]]

Harrison
12th November 2008, 02:25
Ah, I didn't know about the colon trick. That will come in useful and simplify the page source code when we edit anything.

loopy
12th November 2008, 22:20
Inside the Amiga by John Thomas Berry ISBN: 0-672-22468-2
on e_bay at the moment.
Has a reference to
http://myoldcomputers.com/museum/books/samsamiga.htm

There maybe some helpful info there for you guys, maybe your already been there?.
That e_bay is e_bay australia if anyone wants to peek.
Item number is =230307178484
All the best,
loopy.

Harrison
12th November 2008, 23:05
Thanks for that one Loopy :)

There are also details for a few other Amiga books on that site.

Harrison
10th April 2010, 01:15
The list of Amiga Reference Books has been updated.

I discovered a copy of "Amiga Gamer's Guide" by Bruce Smith Books the other day in a discount store and had to grab it. In the back is a detailed list of many of the other BS books they released for the Amiga, so I used this to update the existing lists on the Wiki, and to correct a few errors and missing bits of information.

A couple of the ISBN's were also wrong, and the corrected ones now find the book references on Amazon. :)

MadAngus
15th January 2012, 22:41
I like the fact that you are only going to archive books that you have received permission to from the copyright holder to release. :thumbs:

Are any of the book scans in need of rework, e.g. image only PDF's, badly squinted PDF's, as I would be willing to rework them in OpenOffice and produce ODT's and PDF's for you. This wouldn't be a priority project for me, but would get done over the long term.

Over the next year I will be developing (for the AMOS manuals project) an OpenOffice writer plugin to extract the styles to css and content to DocBook XML. Then to convert to PHP/CSS/XML web pages. So once that's finished for the AMOS manuals project I could then use it to produce HTML versions of the manuals that are in your archive for this site.

What do you think? :thinking:

Harrison
21st January 2012, 00:24
Sound like a great idea. To date I've had problems contacting most publishers and writers to gain the permissions. I either can't locate them or they are very slow to reply. One that has replied and said he is OK for classicamiga to do so is Bruce Smith, so we can use his books in the archive.

I've thinking that because it is so hard to contact people to gain permission, to instead approach it the other way and add all the books, but with a statement saying that we are doing this to aid the community and hope all original publishers and writers of the works will offer us their blessing, permission and full support for the project, but if anyone has an objection to their work being hosted here we will remove it. Do you think that would be fair?

MadAngus
21st January 2012, 01:16
I know how difficult it is to get permission, I tried to get permission to reproduce and distribute the craft manual and software. Unfortunately I have had no response :(. The projects I'm working on can't risk distributing unauthorised copyright material as it might result in losing permission for the AMOS manuals.

Most other Amiga manual archive sites have not had any 'cease and desist' letters, at least to my knowledge, I think this is primarily because the communities are small and the sites/forums are non-profit. As long as you research shows the book is out of print in any medium, I doubt you'll have many problems. It might help to show that your preference is to distribute books with permission by publishing the communications with Bruce Smith books, assuming they are OK with that. It would also be advisable to be very quick in responding to requests to remove books. The impression I get is that sites that respond quickly and work within the system tend to be given a bit more leniency, others like MegaUpload and Google get their rear ends kicked.

Having your statement as a header to the book section is a good idea, clearly showing you are willing to cooperate with the copyright system. Also you might want to have two sections authorised books and other books, or simply make it clear on the book details page that they have been authorised for redistribution, that is for books that have been authorised.
Just for a heads up, I'll only rework authorised books. This is simply because I don't want to put in the hundreds of hours of work necessary only to have the books removed and the work wasted.

Some of what I've said is obvious, just my take on it.:)

Harrison
21st January 2012, 01:50
Would you be interested in trying to help us gain authorisation for books? I don't really have the time at the moment to pursue any new ones so it would be a great help.

MadAngus
21st January 2012, 02:40
:hmmm: I might pick up a book here and there and try to track down copyright holders, time permitting. This can get quite complex due to the age of these books as the copyright may have reverted back to the authors, in this case the publishers permission means nothing. I can't do anything Jan/Feb as I sat on my back side for three weeks over Christmas and new year and am doing catchup on my own projects which are going to get really time consuming, e.g. disassembling/reassembling AMOS Pro.

ChrisUnionNJ
22nd June 2012, 04:49
Sound like a great idea. To date I've had problems contacting most publishers and writers to gain the permissions. I either can't locate them or they are very slow to reply. One that has replied and said he is OK for classicamiga to do so is Bruce Smith, so we can use his books in the archive.

I've thinking that because it is so hard to contact people to gain permission, to instead approach it the other way and add all the books, but with a statement saying that we are doing this to aid the community and hope all original publishers and writers of the works will offer us their blessing, permission and full support for the project, but if anyone has an objection to their work being hosted here we will remove it. Do you think that would be fair?

I think thats spot on Dave DLH seems to have no problems with posting books online it's worth a shop..

:coffee:

MadAngus
19th August 2012, 05:31
@Harrison
asymetrix has scanned the "Amiga Game Maker's Manual, 1992, Stephen Hill" and provided a link to download it over at UltimateAmiga. I was wondering if you have Stephen Hill's contact details so I can get permission to add the manual to UltimateAmiga's download section. I think you have permission to add it to your site, if not I'll request that too.

MadAngus
21st August 2012, 17:31
Good news folks.

While endeavoring to track down the AMOS Book Authors I decided to contact Aaron Fothergill the Author of the AMOS TOME extension for belated permission to distribute the AMOS TOME extension software and manual and the AMOS Club Newsletters, I also asked permission to reverse engineer AMOS TOME for inclusion in AMOS development environments.

Here the response :D:

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for contacting me, glad to see there's still AMOS activity out there :)
Feel free to use the TOME manuals and software as well as the AMOS club newsletters.
Aaron

Big thanks from the community go to Aaron. :thumbs:

[Edit] Oops, can't forget to thank asymetrix for creating the PDF and HTML version of the manuals, so big thanks to asymetrix.

- - - Updated - - -

More Good news.

Managed to find Phil South Author of Mastering Amiga AMOS and he has given permission to convert his book to PDF etc and redistribute it.

Please note that when I'm asking for permission to redistribute I am asking permission for Amiga related sites not just Ultimate Amiga where the project is based.

I'll now add that book to the project todo list.

On behalf off the community more big thanks go to Phil South. :thumbs:

[Edit] Found Jason Holburn on YouTube thanks to peter on AmiBay and verified by one of Hungry Horace's video posts of the book. Sent a message, fingers crossed I get a reply, although he may be away on a dive.

Harrison
22nd August 2012, 00:00
That is some great work. :thumbs:

Regarding "Amiga Game Maker's Manual, 1992, Stephen Hill", I haven't sort permission for hosting that one so if you could that would be brilliant. I still own that book and it is very nicely written.

MadAngus
22nd August 2012, 15:10
I'm now extending the search to add a couple of extra AMOS books so any help locating the authors would be appreciated.

Name AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga
Author Anne Tucker and Len Tucker
ISBN-10 ISBN 074570221X
ISBN-13 ISBN 978-0745702216
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=074570221X

Name Writing role playing games for Amos
Author Dicon Peeke
ISBN-10 ISBN 0745702473
ISBN-13 ISBN 978978-0745702476
http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Role-P.../dp/0745702473

Oh and add Peter J Hickman to the list. Author of the "All About AMOS" Newsletters. I've got Volume 1 issues 1&2 and Volume 2 issues 1&2 to convert to PDF.

- - - Updated - - -

Update on the author search, I've located Stephen Hill via the publishers and they are forwarding the request for redistribution of the 'Amiga Games Maker's Manual'. So fingers crossed he is still at the address they have on record and the outcome is positive.

MadAngus
23rd August 2012, 12:07
:( Unfortunately at the moment I can't find any good leads to track down Anne Tucker and Len Tucker, Dicon Peeke and Peter J Hickman.

Two members of of UltimateAmiga (shock and amigaoneproductions) have stated in previous posts that they knew them and I have contacted them but they have not been active here for quite some time.

I've contacted Aaron Fothergill and Phil South in the hope that they might have some information.

So if anybody else can provide a lead it would be appreciated

Unfortunately Kuma Publishing was dissolved around 1997 so that option is no longer available.

Anyway On a side note a little summary - AMOS reunited, sort of :)

François Lionet as you know gave his permission for the AMOS software and Manuals and runs a software development company Clickteam (http://www.clickteam.com/) with Yves Lamoureux.

Aaron and Adam Fothergill have given permission to use and redistribute the TOME software and manual. Their running Strange Flavour Ltd (http://www.strangeflavour.com/). a small UK based independent games developer.

Phil South Author of Mastering Amiga AMOS has given his permission for his book. Now a full time writer, writing coach, building his own training business, Going Down Writing (http://goingdownwriting.wordpress.com/).

I've located Stephen Hill via the publishers and they are forwarding the request for redistribution of the 'Amiga Games Maker's Manual', he's somewhere in Canada.

Contacted Jason Holborn via YouTube Author of 'Ultimate AMOS', although I think he may be on a shipwreck dive somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic.

Harrison
24th August 2012, 10:54
Very nice work. I will have to start linking downloads for these publications into the wiki list.

My eventual goal is to have a proper bookshelf/library section where users can see the book covers, read and leave reviews, rate the books and download them. And to eventually expand it outside of just the Amiga and cover all retro system publications. There is a wealth of books out there lost to current users. There are also a lot of cross platform books that Amiga owners can benefit from as much as users of other systems too.

MadAngus
24th August 2012, 20:45
Very nice work. I will have to start linking downloads for these publications into the wiki list.

My eventual goal is to have a proper bookshelf/library section where users can see the book covers, read and leave reviews, rate the books and download them. And to eventually expand it outside of just the Amiga and cover all retro system publications. There is a wealth of books out there lost to current users. There are also a lot of cross platform books that Amiga owners can benefit from as much as users of other systems too.

Hungry Horace set up a little bookshelf on the AMOS Factory front page, although it doesn't go quite as far as you have specified. For that there is a required sub project to the AMOS docs project called dbODF which is still in the planning stages.

The biggest problems facing this project is time and contributors.

From my initial experience of tracking down the authors I have found it to be a very time consuming process and I have only scratched the surface of the techniques involved in this. To do a small batch of books as I am, I would say that you would have to put aside and dedicate at least a week to the search to completely exhaust all avenues and leads. When I can I will do this but how regularly I cannot say, as I'm way behind schedule on the AMOS docs project as it is.

Getting contributors to scan the rarer books is frustrating to say the least, I've seen a few people request others to scan their book, but will they scan their rare books, unfortunately not.

I would suggest you acquire the books you have on the Amiga Book Reference list (from any source) and mark the entry with an offline tag to indicate that the book has been scanned but does not have permission to redistribute. At least for the short term until you decide whether or not your going down the road of releasing them and only removing them at the authors request. There is one problem with that though, too many unauthorised books readable online and you will draw the attention of the authors Guild, Google got hit by them although theirs was on a massive scale.

Weeeer Doooooooooomed! :p

Well not really, it's just going to take time.

Harrison
24th August 2012, 23:36
I have been considering the route of "release them all and remove at the authors request" as the better route to take at the moment due to most documents and published works being 20+ years old, making tracking down the authors very hard. We could still try to track them down even with the work already live and add author endorsed to titles that we have managed to gain permissions for.

The bookshelf site won't be happening straight away as I've got loads of other things going on, but hopefully before the end of the year something will happen.

MadAngus
25th August 2012, 12:17
<Scrub> All things considered, I would agree as this is more about preservation than unauthorised usage. The endorsed idea is a good one :thumbs:. <Scrub this, I have reconsidered my stance on this>

It happens when it happens it is a hobby after all. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Update on the author search.

Found a good lead on Dicon Peeke and traced Dicon Peeke the graphic artist that worked for Level 9 Adventure games and I believe this is the same person that wrote the 'Writing role playing games for Amos'. I have no solid link but it seems to me that this has a high probability of being the correct person. I have contacted him to ask for confirmation of identity and permission. ;)

If anybody has the book could you let me know if there is a mention of Level 9 Adventure games in the book or a photo of Dicon in the book. Just for the sake of confirmation.

That just leaves Anne and Len Tucker and Peter J Hickman to find.

MadAngus
27th August 2012, 22:36
Update on book permissions:

Bruce Smith confirmed that the copyright for the Phil South book 'Mastering Amiga AMOS' has indeed reverted back to Phil. Infact for all Bruce Smith Books published all copyright's have reverted back to the authors.

And :D

Got permission to reproduce and distribute all Bruce Smith (http://www.brucesmith.info/) authored Amiga titles. I have asked Bruce to confirm the exact titles this permission covers.

But here is the possible's list to get your mouth watering:

Mastering AmigaDOS 2 V1 by BS & MS
Mastering AmigaDOS 2 V2 by BS & MS
Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 by B.Smith
Mastering Amiga by BS & MW (Mastering Amiga: Beginners)
Mastering AmigaDOS 3 Tutorial by BS & MS
A600 Insider Guide by B. Smith
A1200 Insider Guide by B. Smith
Workbench 3 A-Z by B. Smith (? Unlikely as it is still available from Amazon.co.uk)

Once confirmation is received and were relevant for the AMOS Pro resource kit project I'll add those books to the todo list. The rest will be done as part of the classicamiga.com bookshelf project and will also be available at UltimateAmiga.co.uk depending on server space.

I will searching out any books that have already been scanned, but if you already know of any of these books that have been scanned please point me in their direction. Also if you are willing to do scans of any of these books please inform me.

Harrison
27th August 2012, 22:46
If UltimateAmiga doesn't have much sever space free then I would be happy for book files to be hosted on the classicamiga servers and cross linked to their site. All I would want is a little mention on any linked files to show where the file is being downloaded from.

MadAngus
28th August 2012, 00:13
I don't know the details of the package FOL's got but if it comes to it I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem giving appropriate credit. It will all depend on whether or not FOL wants to host a duplicate bookshelf of that magnitude. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it :).

As for author searching that's it for now. I need to get a good chunk of work done on the AMOS project. I'll chase down another dozen or so books in about a month. The biggest problem's going to be getting book scans as there is no way I can afford to purchase all the books on the list, let alone do all the scanning and conversion work.:blink:

Anyway, that's another bridge. :shades:

MadAngus
1st September 2012, 00:25
Update More books

Here is the list of books authorised for redistribution and are copyright Bruce Smith (http://www.brucesmith.info/) and collaborating authors, in addition layout, design and content of these books are copyright Bruce Smith.

Amiga Workbench Booster Pack - by Bruce Smith and Paul Andreas Overaa - Feb 1996 - 512 pages - ISBN 1873308418
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 600 - by Bruce Smith - Jan 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308140
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 1200 - by Bruce Smith - Feb 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308159
Insider Guide Series: Amiga Workbench 3 A-Z - by Bruce Smith - May 1994 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308280
Mastering Amiga - by Bruce Smith and Mark Webb - April 1993 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308175
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 1 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308108
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 2 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 368 pages - ISBN 1873308094
Mastering Amiga DOS 3 Tutorial - by Mark Smiddy and Bruce Smith - Nov 1993 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308205
Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 - by Bruce Smith - Sept 1992 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308086
Total Amiga Amigados - By Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308566
Total Amiga Workbench - by Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 352 pages - ISBN 1873308558

Also note as a condition of getting permission to distribute these books some restrictions have been put in place as follows.
Distribution of these books unless otherwise stated are restricted to ultimateamiga.co.uk, classicamiga.com and combinedworks.org.
Distributing these books alongside unauthorised work is prohibited regardless of who the author is.

-----------------------

Current status of other books in the search.

Stephen Hill author of 'Amiga Games Maker's Manual'
The publishers forwarded my request to the address they had, but no updates from the publishers or response from Stephen.

However there is a Stephen Hill known as self_shadow who is the 3D Technical Lead at Ubisoft Montreal, Canada. A coincidence, probably. I've attached a picture of this Stephen hill, could be the son of the one I am looking for or he has aged damn well.

Anybody able to confirm this Stephen Hill or am I miles out.

Jason Holborn author of 'Ultimate AMOS'
I contacted Jason Holborn through his website and got a response. He confirmed that he is the author of 'Ultimate AMOS' but he didn't get my first message. I forward the original message to him and am waiting for a response.

Dicon Peeke author of Writing role playing games for Amos
As yet, no response to my eMail, however as far as I can determine Richard 'Dicon' Peeke has not been active on the internet since October 2011. Dicon, hope your okay.

Anne Tucker and Len Tucker authors of 'AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga'
Zero success

Peter J Hickman author of the "All About AMOS" Newsletters.
Zero success in finding Peter. Peter are you there, hello, is anybody out there?

Harrison
2nd September 2012, 10:04
Brilliant work mate. This will give a great start to begin a real official bookshelf/reference library on classicamiga. I will try to get something started this week on the official pages for this. :-)

A question I now have. I know some of these books are unofficially on other sites for download. We have been granted exclusive rights to host them, so I think we will need to protect this permission by either asking other sites to remove the books, or for them to redirect to our sites instead. I will chat with Zetr0 to ask him about this, as he knows his stuff regarding legal and copyright issues and laws.

MadAngus
2nd September 2012, 16:52
Brilliant work mate. This will give a great start to begin a real official bookshelf/reference library on classicamiga. I will try to get something started this week on the official pages for this. :-)

Cheers, in your own time Harrison, I've still got to design the pages for Ultimate Amiga and I'm in no rush to do that :lol:.
I've done some more reconsidering on this project and decided I am not going to totally rely on people scanning books, I'm going to purchase all of them myself for several reasons. If you look at the my project management page for "The Great Amiga Author Hunt (http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/index.php/topic,9506.0.html)" you will see I have got a few things I want to do with the books. Basically I need the books scanned at the highest possible resolution, something as silly as 2600dpi and scanned at 20 pages/minute, esspecially as there are nearly 200 books.

A question I now have. I know some of these books are unofficially on other sites for download. We have been granted exclusive rights to host them, so I think we will need to protect this permission by either asking other sites to remove the books, or for them to redirect to our sites instead. I will chat with Zetr0 to ask him about this, as he knows his stuff regarding legal and copyright issues and laws.

This is a dilemma i was worrying about, as these other sites have provided the community a great service and in some way need to be respected. Considering this, a redirect to our sites is the best solution :thumbs:. That way they can list the books but for download, users go to an authorised site.

This is how I see it working:

Ultimate Amiga will be members only access, i.e. must sign in to download/read the books. Ultimate Amiga will provide two services, the download of books and the online reading of books. dbODF is the project I am working on to provide the online reading service.

Classic Amiga will provide the public facing side for downloads, no registration or logging in. Although I think there will need to be some sort of captcha/question system in place to stop leechers and unauthorised usage from non Amiga related sites and advertisement based / commercial sites. Basically protect your bandwith. Your thoughts on this?

CombinedWorks, I'll decide what services will be provided at a future date. I need to get the site up and running first and that will take a while. :rolleyes:

And don't forget to pm your choice of books.;)

Harrison
2nd September 2012, 22:08
Bandwidth isn't too much of an issue as the servers are on unlimited bandwidth with a dedicated 100Mbit line. But I agree that a system does need to be in place to stop off site file linking, or sites leaching content directly. I will have a think on the best way to do that... I don't want it to be too intrusive for users, just stop the off site connections directly to the files.

MadAngus
7th September 2012, 18:22
Progress Update: Good and Bad News

The Good News :)
Jason Holborn author of 'Ultimate AMOS'
Just got a reply from Jason (Now Jason Brown, bardophotographic (http://www.bardophotographic.com/)), and he has given permission for Amiga related sites to distribute his book, pending confirmation from future publishing on the copyright status of the book.

Restrictions on distribution: xAMOS and UltimateAmiga must remain non commercial, if this changes a license fee will be required. Also the book may not be distributed with any kind of commercial software or on commercial sites, a license fee will be required for any form of commercial distribution.

I'll contact Future Publishing to confirm the copyright Status and to request permission to distribute if the copyright remains with them.

The Bad News :(
Current status of other books in the search.

Status: I'm Going to give this one last attempt and then I'm closing the book on this one.
Conclusion: Unlikely

Dicon Peeke author of 'Writing role playing games for Amos'
Conclusion: Permission Denied

Anne Tucker and Len Tucker authors of 'AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga'

Peter J Hickman author of the "All About AMOS" Newsletters.

Changing this, got to much work todo to chase this book any further.

MadAngus
22nd September 2012, 21:44
Harrison, is the wiki book list available in a delimited format, it would help my work if I could sort it by author or other category depending on purpose.

MadAngus
6th December 2012, 19:57
Progress Update:

Permission Granted
With the help of Paul Townsend of AmigaOne Productions I was able to contact Anne Tucker and she has kindly allowed the AMOS in Action book to be part of this preservation project.
Conclusion: Permission Granted

Status Update
Got a response from Future Publishing and although they cannot establish the copyright status of the following books/supplements they have no problem with distribution within this project if they are the publishers. I now need to track down the authors and get their permissions as well.

Amiga Format Presents A1200s, CD-ROMs and the Things You Have to Know - by Steve Faragher - 27 Jul 1995 - 100 pages - ISBN 1898275262

Amiga Format ScreenPlay 2 - by Maff Evans - 1991 - 195 pages - ASIN B000XQXOO0

Complete Amiga C - by Cliff Ramshaw - 1994 - 314 Pages - ISBN 1898275106

The Amiga Format Bumper Book of Amiga Hints and Tips - by Veitch nick (edited) - 1993 - 98 pages - ASIN B0000COLJ2

The Amiga Format Guide to Amiga DeskTop Video - by Derek Whiteley - 1 Dec 1993 - 300 pages - ISBN 1898275084

The Amiga Shopper PD Directory - by Ian Wrigley, Phil South and Jason Holborn - Dec 1993 - 526 pages - ISBN 1898275114

Amiga format: Get the most out of your Amiga - Unknown Author - 1992 - 168 pages - ISBN 1872666051

Amiga Format Presents: Get into CD-ROM with your A1200 Start-up Guide - Unknown (Author - year - pages - ISBN) - Magazine Supplement

Amiga Format Presents: Get into the Net with your Amiga Start-up Guide - Unknown (Author - year - pages - ISBN) - Magazine Supplement

Harrison
6th December 2012, 20:59
Brilliant work. We should be able to start creating the actual reference library with a selection of books to get us started after the new year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Phantom
14th December 2012, 22:35
You do really an impressive research mate. I'm really speechless.

morpa
4th September 2018, 23:07
Kind of continued a part of this project, under my source code preservation project. I have a slightly angle though: I ask the authors if they can release their books under creative commons, which solves the problem with that the literature and permission is tied to a specific project or even person. When I get tired of this, or get hit by a car another person can just continue if they would like. That means I have contacted (again) almost every author madAngus did contact, and a few others too. So far I have been given permissions for a quite a few books, but a slightly different set than madAngus had as of yet:) I also try to contact every Amiga book author I can find, so this is not AMOS-only. I'm not trying to replace madAngus works, but he hasn't been logged in for 5 years plus, so I guess his got other interests now-a-days and really don't care.

My goals:
1) Get a general liberal permission for anyone, for as much Amiga literature I can, under Creative Commons or alike.
2) Host a pdf, in best cases one optimized and one higher res. for archival purposes
3) In best case, also host an online version of the book. This is done by ocr->asciidoc. Asciidoc can be convertehd to many formats, example from the Total Amiga Assembler book. I invite anyone interested in helping out with this.

Site and code repo etc: https://amigasourcepres.gitlab.io/page/books/amos/ Feel free to use, but notice books and scans will be updated, maybe moved etc, as it is all quite an early phase.