PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge

Demon Cleaner
31st October 2008, 06:24
Yesterday the demo for Mirror's Edge came out and I gave it a try (today it will be out on the 360). I looks really really nive, very different to other stuff I know, and it also plays that way.

In the demo you can play the first level plus a tutorial, which explains you your movements, which are quite complicated to memorize in the beginning. All in all the game isn't hard playing through the tutorial, as you have good time to trigger your actions. Even in the beginning of the first level, but things become very hectic once you are being chased by the bad guys.

I will give it another try, as it's better to know which route to take, instead of jumping around and not knowing where to go exactly. Perhaps with a little bit of training I will get through the level a lot faster.

By the way, I managed to finish the first level without being killed, I'm not THAT bad ;)

Harrison
31st October 2008, 10:39
I just had a look and the game does look interesting. How hard is the first person hand to hand combat? I've found in other games such a system can be a bit confusing.

Sharingan
1st November 2008, 22:04
Apparently, the PS3's Sixaxis motion controls greatly enhance Mirror's Edge's gameplay. So, if the visuals and sound effects are comparable across the 360 and PS3 versions, the PS3 version would be the one to go for.

Sean Decker, general manager of Battlefield developer DICE, spoke to VideoGamer.com about their upcoming Mirror’s Edge. The first-person platforming/action game made its debut at PlayStation Day, the team is promising to make the most out of the PS3’s unique architecture. For example, the team plans on utilizing tilt controls: “The great thing about it is that there’s a lot of little things like, Faith there when she’s walking like this (points to Mirror’s Edge trailer showing Faith tightrope-walking across a beam), Sixaxis controls, super easy to implement and say, OK well just balance it and then you’ve got it there, as opposed to teaching a player to say, oh let’s push this button or that button.”
“The other thing is the Cell really allows us to push the resolution of our textures much higher and we’ve taken full advantage of that as well. So there’s a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers.” However, Decker wouldn’t go so far as saying the PS3 version is superior to the Xbox 360 version — they’re simply “different.”

Demon Cleaner
3rd November 2008, 15:31
I completed the demo now several times and I'm definitely gonna buy it. In the beginning it's a bit difficult with the controls, but once you memorise them, it's getting a lot better and the game plays really fluent.

Harrison
3rd November 2008, 15:45
I always find games that are a little harder to initially have complete control over end up being the ones that have the most enjoyable gameplay and last the longest. If you can pick up a game and instantly get to grips with all of the controls it often becomes boring quickly. Not always the case, but often from my experience.

There are obvious exceptions. Did anyone ever play Oni on the PS2? The had the most annoying and difficult control system of any game I've ever played. I gave up in the end.

Demon Cleaner
3rd November 2008, 15:54
Wasn't Oni one of the first games released for the PS2? I remember playing it.

J T
3rd November 2008, 16:06
Oni was a very early PS2 game, yes. We hired it from blockbuster and it killed my friend's PS2 stone dead. Probably coincidence and likely would've happened anyway - but after that we never wanted to try it.

Got the Mirror's Edge demo waiting to play. Sounds interesting, people are so far sounding very positive about it.

Harrison
3rd November 2008, 16:18
Yes, Oni was an early PS2 release. The graphics were good and the gameplay was too. However the control system was very complex compared to any other similar game.