PDA

View Full Version : WinUAE 1.4.0 WIP #1 (28.01.2007)

Demon Cleaner
30th January 2007, 12:55
Estimated release date: 2-4 weeks.

Big news in the next release of WinUAE will be the CDTV support. Here is a list of all the new features:

New features:

- CDTV emulation, including CD controller, internal SRAM and 64KB SRAM
expansion memory card support.
- More compatible SPTI CD32/CDTV CD support.
- Advanced Chipset configuration. Miscellaneous model specific
hardware configuration entries like real time clock chip type, CIA-A
TOD clock source, RAMSEY, FAT GARY register emulation etc.)
- Rewritten harddisk configuration system. No more lost hardfile or
virtual directory configuration entries if path was missing etc.
- A3000/A4000 motherboard RAM bank support.
- Added Arcadia bios rom type selection.
- New Windows Vista -style application icon added :)

Bugs fixed:

- It was not possible to disable keyboard layout C after enabling it.
- Sound panel settings were not always enabled correctly.
- -datapath command line parameter didn't work.
- Disk image drag and drop didn't work.
- Quickstart panel disk swapping is properly delayed again.
- Some Picasso96 display modes were not available.
- bsdsocket freeze fix (Aminetradio)
- Windows driver Catweasel support works again.
- "Faster RTG"-mode lockups fixed.

LowercaseE
30th January 2007, 13:14
Sweet! I wouldn't mind checking out the CDTV stuff.

Demon Cleaner
30th January 2007, 13:16
Ah, I thought you would jump on this one, but consider the release date, it still needs some time.

Harrison
30th January 2007, 13:41
Cool. Is nice to see work finally being done on proper CD32 and CDTV emulation support. Although most titles can still be run on WinUAE anyway via various methods, direct support will make it much easier.

Also interesting to see support for the Arcadia system being added. Has anyone every seen or used a real Arcadia system? I haven't.

Demon Cleaner
30th January 2007, 13:53
Has anyone every seen or used a real Arcadia system? I haven't.Me neither :(

Harrison
30th January 2007, 14:50
Was it a Spanish company that made the Arcadia?

Demon Cleaner
30th January 2007, 15:50
Was it a Spanish company that made the Arcadia?? Arcadia Systems was a subsidiary of Mastertronic.

Harrison
30th January 2007, 16:12
That is all the information I can find about the system though, that is was developed by Mastertronic and was a failure. Other than that I cannot find much out about the system other than this entry on the Amiga History site http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/arcadia.html which lists the games released for the system. No pictures of what the actual machine or its controller looked like.

Have you also heard of the CUBO CD32? An arcade version of the CD32.

Demon Cleaner
30th January 2007, 16:16
Have you also heard of the CUBO CD32? An arcade version of the CD32.Never heard of that, was it a flop too?

Harrison
30th January 2007, 16:33
As far as I know the CUBO CD32 was only ever released in Italian arcades. It was basically just a CD32 with some custom boards attached and put into an Arcade cabinet.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/display_photos/cubo1.jpg

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/bundles/cubocd32_1.jpg

Not many games were released for it either. From what I can find out only a puzzle game called Candy Puzzle, and Italian Back Jack game and a French photo quiz were released for the system.

More info is at the Big Book of Amiga Hardware (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=36)

Puni/Void
30th January 2007, 23:23
That's an interesting find. I never knew they made an arcade machine out of the CD32. A pity it only appeared in Italy though, and with so few games specially made for it. The CD32 had a lot of potential and I guess it could have been popular in the arcades with the right games.

Demon Cleaner
31st January 2007, 00:33
with the right gamesThat's the main problem.

Harrison
31st January 2007, 02:16
Did you know that the Transport Museum in London also used the CD32?

It was responsible for the original development of the SX-1 expansion too. They had been using a few laserdisc players to stream interactive information to a few areas of the museum, but they were getting old and they needed a replacement with more interactivity. They ended up creating touch screen information kiosks around the museum that were connected to a lot of CD32's running in a central room, with each running a Scala created interactive CD presentation for the various areas of the museum. I visited shortly after reading about this in AUi and it worked well. I have no idea how long they continued to use them, or if they are in fact still using them still.

AlexJ
31st January 2007, 09:08
Did you know that the Transport Museum in London also used the CD32?

109 of them, to be exact!

It was responsible for the original development of the SX-1 expansion too. They had been using a few laserdisc players to stream interactive information to a few areas of the museum, but they were getting old and they needed a replacement with more interactivity. They ended up creating touch screen information kiosks around the museum that were connected to a lot of CD32's running in a central room, with each running a Scala created interactive CD presentation for the various areas of the museum. I visited shortly after reading about this in AUi and it worked well. I have no idea how long they continued to use them, or if they are in fact still using them still.

I think they refurbished the Museum in 2005 so they might have disappeared then (or not if they were still working and still suitable for the job).

J T
31st January 2007, 11:28
Never heard of the Arcadia or the Cubo CD32.

Interesting about that transport museum using CD32s. I think I've seen you post about that before. Maybe email them and ask perhaps.