PDA

View Full Version : The new competition pro joysticks.

Harrison
24th October 2008, 23:59
There is something I've been wondering about the new Individual Computers/Speedlink made Competition Pro joysticks.

Both the Classic (with 9 pin atari connector) and the USB versions now have 4 fire buttons. On the original Competition Pro sticks I use they only have the two big fire buttons which are the same fire button for left and right users.

How are the firebuttons wired on the new versions of the stick? Are the 4 buttons separate on the USB stick so you can assign 4 different controls to them? And what about the classic stick? Are they all the same fire button? Or do they offer more then one for games that supported 2 button Sega gapepads?

sarek2k
25th October 2008, 00:13
How are the firebuttons wired on the new versions of the stick? Are the 4 buttons separate on the USB stick so you can assign 4 different controls to them? And what about the classic stick? Are they all the same fire button? Or do they offer more then one for games that supported 2 button Sega gapepads?

@Harrison yes the buttons are independant you can configure them within windows/winuae/mame etc i used one of the triangle buttons as a capture button for grabbing screenshots when taking them for games screenshots project.

Not sure about the rest of your questions but hope it helps.

Harrison
25th October 2008, 00:13
Thanks Sarek.

I'd actually just found found a review of the USB stick and it confirmed that the 4 fire buttons are all independent and can be programmed to act differently, which is great news for multi button games in MAME and other emulators.

The review can be seen here (http://www.zombienexus.com/forums/cms_view_article.php?aid=28&page=1).

But I still need to find out if the classic stick is the same, or if all the buttons perform a single fire button action. Anyone know?

lolafg
29th October 2008, 13:31
:)Hello ,
i have one of these working in my A600 and the four buttons aren't separates...
I wasn't really happy when i noticed that !!

Harrison
29th October 2008, 13:49
Really? That is a bit annoying. I was really hoping at least the smaller triangular buttons would be a second fire button. Bit of a shame as I can't see there is really much point in 4 fire buttons.

lolafg
29th October 2008, 14:06
:( No ,
the triangulars buttons can only be "on or off" with a swich button...

I have a cd32 and i'm going to buy an official pad for it on amigakit , this one will have separates buttons !!

Harrison
29th October 2008, 14:10
The official Commodore CD32 pad isn't very nice to use. The third party Competition Pro CD32 gamepad is much nicer. It's the same as the pads they made for the SNES back in the day. Comfortable to use and has auto fire switches for each button too.

Buleste
29th October 2008, 14:17
I've got the Competition Pro CD32 and i just hate the Sponginess of the buttons.

Harrison
29th October 2008, 15:21
But compared to the official Commodore CD32 pad?

Buleste
29th October 2008, 15:36
Never had the original I'm afraid.

lolafg
8th December 2008, 09:35
Hello ,

I bought a boomerang pad for the CD32 and it works fine with the CD32 , but in my A600 some games as for example Street fighter II can't use the 2 buttons...
So i bought a sega megadrive pad with 6 buttons and all games are working well with it (the 2 buttons recognised are the B and C) so i think it is one of the best pad for the amiga.
This answer just to help people who are looking for a pad !!

AndyRCM
8th December 2008, 13:02
On the Sega pad Is there no way of reading the other buttons on the amiga? Surely they must be independant to each other? I have several Sega Megadrive pads and would love to use them on my Amiga or CD32 . . . :)

Andy

lolafg
8th December 2008, 13:09
There is probably a way to do that but how to ?
Sorry i don't know.

Buleste
8th December 2008, 13:33
Just found this interesting bit of information for youon how to modify a Sega Megadrive Joypad to work on an Amiga.
http://psygnosisamiga.free.fr/games/hiredguns/instructions2.pdf goto page 6 and read what it says about modifying the joypad. Warning unmodified pads can lead to damage of the CIA chip. It's not common but better safe than sorry.

AndyRCM
8th December 2008, 14:05
Nice one Buleste! :)

Andy

woody.cool
8th December 2008, 14:53
On the Sega pad Is there no way of reading the other buttons on the amiga? Surely they must be independant to each other? I have several Sega Megadrive pads and would love to use them on my Amiga or CD32 . . . :)

Andy

The CD32 and Sega Megadrive use different methods of accessing those extra buttons.
I think the CD32 is easier to interpret, as it's kind of a direct conection to each button, but the Megadrive is a different beast altoghether. The first two buttons (mapped as B & C) stick to the Atari standard, but as for the rest .... who knows!

Harrison
8th December 2008, 15:11
A few games were also written with direct Sega megadrive pad support. This included a couple of the later AGA beat 'em ups.